is there any tricks to useing wet stones?

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
In watchmaking school we used a glas plate with a grained abrasive & water to plane stones. We had a fine ceramic and Arkansas stone, as well as a much courser one I forgot the name of. Silicon carbide I think. The latter needed frequent cleaning & planeing I remember.

JCLYMAN

Newly Enlightened
There are a few must haves. dmt diamond stone, i have the older blue/red combo, i would get the diasharps now if i was getting them as big as you can afford 8-12 inched whtever they have now

the next necessity is 25 dollar combo japanese whetsone, use the diamond stone to true_flatten_the whetstinbe after use. when i used it alot i floated it water since i was using it a few times a week

If you want to learn from one of the best, if your in nyc, watch the master at korin in tribeca, Yes theey used to arguie with me about the diamond stone trueing the whetsone, now they sell them. or there is a great book by leonard lee

Tip, when sharpening, ask yourself whats the intended use, that will effect your included angle. for example, i like my 10 inch chef knife toothy, so my angle is a little higher. most people on double bevel chef knife say the included angle somwehere between 25-32, i think 7 quarters is 28.

truth is witrh all my expensive knives Japanese single bevel and german doules, i havent used a whetstone i 10 years. Diamond stones are much quicker and more efficient.
Freehand sharpening is a learned skill that can be mastered if you practice. practice on old poop knives.
On my search for norton white lilly which is oashita stone from arkansa, joel m of brooklyn had a bunch of them. Took the subway there, walked into his massive woodworking shop.... we spoke....he said he had no more for sale. he said you want to sharpen i said sure.....busted out the only knife i had on me a gentlemans folder a spyder kiwi that i just got with a razor sharp edge, he said start sharpening and i did and as i messed iup the blade, he showed me where i was messing up and the process began. over the next few hours i learned alot, still havent gotten my lilly yet but.......

JCLYMAN

Newly Enlightened
The key to sharpening on a whetstone is to practice daily for decades...once you build that foundation you can then finally learn how to sharpen on a whetstone.

The secret is honing....if you hone then you won't need to sharpen but about every 6+ months if it's a daily used kitchen knife.
If you don't hone then you must sharpen often.

I send my Japanese kitchen knives to Jason at Traditional Sharpening. I hone before every use.

I sharpen my pocket knives on a paper wheel and/or belt sander.

Stay away from these modern super steels. The harder the steel the harder it is to sharpen.
yeah b ut the super steels like vg-10 etc hold their edge way longer. your correct that steel will work most of the time but when i need to remove metal i use diamond stones while me whetstones are floating in water!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
...Freehand sharpening is a learned skill that can be mastered if you practice. practice on old poop knives...
Agree with everything, except this part.
Some of those poop knives aren't even remotely properly heat treated, if at all. Practicing on those, just a waste of time. They never get sharp.

JCLYMAN

Newly Enlightened
Agree with everything, except this part.
Some of those poop knives aren't even remotely properly heat treated, if at all. Practicing on those, just a waste of time. They never get sharp.
guess your not ruining good steel!!!