Is this bad?/possible illness

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is this bad?

[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
I am fine....thanks for all the concern.

Here is what they found.

My blood pressure is a little on the high side but that is not what caused to problem. It turns out my blood sugar was way down. I was pretty disorintated and feeling really strange. I might have hypoglycimia. I know I spelled that wrong. The doctor also said that it would help a little bit if I managed my diet better and would sleep more than three hours a night. I will be going back for more test to see if that was an odd moment, have the blood pressure checked, and find out of If this blood sugar thing is problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
it's hypoglycemia. and welcome to the club, Jonny! i agree with your doctor.. you need to get more sleep.. fatigue really makes a bad team with hypoglycemia.

and like PW, i occasionally substitute Splenda in place of sugar.. Splenda actually tastes even better, in my opinion.. it's just kinda expensive.

Edit:
you might like to do a search on hypoglycemia on Healthboards.com.

Clifton Arnold

Newly Enlightened

Jon Told ya! go see the doc and I'm so glad you did. Low blood surgar can do nasty things to you. Now go get some sleep. We on CPF value you as a person! And also our dealer in pila products. Where would we go to get our fixes if you were very sick. Sick Joke there jon.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh, hypoglycemia!

never saw those symptoms before (except for the fatigue). learn something new every day!

glad it turned out ok-we were all concerned.
yup, i too have occasional bouts of hypoglycemia. i get tired, headachey, GROUCHY, and kind of a full/"buzzy" feeling in my ears.

i tested myself once when feeling this way, and had a blood glucose of 63. this isnt crazy low, but enough to be symptomatic. i must be sensitive.

for the record: i have seen confirmed blood glucose levels (multiple specimens sent to the lab) of 3.

yes...3!

the patient was alert and oriented...talking to me.
she had no idea how close to death she was.
the surgeons were mystified. i had never seen a reading that low without coma.

had another patient that had serious mental status changes with a reading of 15. a few amps of D50, and she was fine.

i shall never again complain about a measley 63.

tha advice above is good: rest, regular meals, eat less concentrated sweets, have food/glucose tabs on hand. i keep Balance bars in my labcoat, and sometimes a roll of lifesavers.

Bob

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Even Hyperglycemics can suffer bouts of Hypoglycemia. I am the hyper type (somewhat), not yet on insulin. I have had my blood sugar drop below 70. The initial sympotms are wooziness and sweating (while doing nothing to induce these), like when sitting still. All I did was take a bit of sweet vinegar (for sweet pickles), and that brought it back up.

Jon, what you need to do, is get a blood sugar meter and some test strips (and lancets). You don't need many at this point, since you only need to use it if you start feeling symptoms. This is an easy check for hypoglycemia.

Hypoglycemia is nothing to sneeze at, since this most oftens results in unconsciousness. Very bad if you are driving when that happens.

Not all people react the same to the same type of sugar. I get along fine with table sugar, yet Nutrasweet spikes my blood sugar. Same with Corn Syrup, which is what is used in soft drinks.

Typical symptom of Hyperglycemia: excessive urination. Like it doubles or more. If this happens, you need to see an endocrinologist, who will more than likely start you off on Amaryl or Glucophage. I am on both at the moment, and looking at going on insulin soon.

I keep an pretty much unchanging diet. This lets both my doctor and myself know when things change in my body.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I have to say that I was amazed at what a sugar imblance can do to your head and the way it can make you body feel. For a few days, I had been having a bit of confusion and forgetfulness. Some things that I had not done, I thought I did. Some things that I had done, I did twice. I do not know if this was related or not but things have been strange for me.

Well, I did have three things going on, low sugar, highblood pressure, and a week of only three hours of sleep a day. A cocktail of things going on.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

snakebite, yes, they did show up. They know me very well, I was involved in a shooting many years ago and I am in county with a lower population density so I kind of stand out. I was not the bad guy in the shooting, 4 people went to jail and I got a pat on the back.

I was asleep when they arrived. My dad who is retired and goes where he wants to just happened to be here and talk to the deputies. Three of them came over so that was quite a few of them to check up on me.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast

High protien snacks, eat small amounts thought the day. Stay away from HIGH SIMPLE SUGAR FOODS. cheese is good because it is a bid harder for your body to break down the lactose and it is a more smoother release into the system. What happens is you eat something very sweet your body oversecretes insulin and you cover your glucose load and then some and drop relativly low. Best wishes to you

Bushman RN, MSN, FNP-C

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jon -

Do you know if you have sleep apnea or not? I was amazed to find out what extended lack of sleep can do to negatively affect so many systems.

Glad you are good to go now. Pretty cool that an on-line community is so smart and capable of looking after their own.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Whew! Glad you're okay Jon -- otherwise where would we get our Pilas from afterwards...? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phil_B

Enlightened

This can produce disorientation as well as the normal effects you describe.Hyper or hypo?,I forget which one now. Frankly I'm impressed you could get it together to type!
Most folk display "drunken" type symptoms,and if left,can go into coma.
I sometimes do security at biker events,and it's often wise to check a person out medically if they're laid out apparently drunk,this paid off once and we called an ambulance to take her away (probably gave her a snickers!)
Glad you had the wherewithall to tackle it and rejoin us.
Take care,Phil.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Lots of good advice here.

For me an acute "sugar crash" results in weakness, jitteriness, loss of fine motor skills. Often happens after a period of moderate physical exertion such as carrying heavy things around. Fortunately for me it's more of a nuisance than anything else, and it's controllable with careful regulation of sugar and carrying around some small snacks and/or glucose tablets.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
for the record: i have seen confirmed blood glucose levels (multiple specimens sent to the lab) of 3.

yes...3!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gak. Was this individual an anorectic or something?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
...and like PW, i occasionally substitute Splenda in place of sugar.. Splenda actually tastes even better, in my opinion.. it's just kinda expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

It IS more expensive, but I'm noticing that more and more of the big coffeehouse chains are now stocking it, so I don't have to buy as much of it now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Splenda is actually modified sugar, which is why it tastes so much more like the real thing than the other sweteners do. I believe they take the sugar molecule, knock off an atom and replace it with something else.