is this behaviour weird?

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck, guys, I carry lights on me because I LOVE my lights! If I use them for light, fine. If not, they become something to play with if I get bored or I am waiting for something. I carry(typically) a SF 9P w/ 2 Pila 150s, SF E2e/KL1 4th gen. w/ 1 Pila 168s, SF E1e, and CMG Infinity Ultra-G on my keys, and spare SF123's. Better to have them and not need them(but always want them).

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You only need help if you dont carry your lights around. :)

-David

Germ

Enlightened
Weird? Of course not.

I just got into flashlights after getting a SureFire E2D two months ago. Simply amazing, I didn't know such things existed. I'm afraid I have an obsessive/compulsive nature and I've been living on the CandlePower forums lately. Your wife's rolling eyes may not be from the flashlight itself as much as a temporary preoccupation with them. I'm sure if I had a girlfriend she'd be rolling her eyes. Just keep the conversation about the lights to a minimum would be my advice.

Proudly take whatever lights you wish wherever you go. I'd suggest getting a keychain light like an Arc or Peak as a backup/low level light too. Get one for her too :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
I (secretely) shook my head and gave the roll-eye at the weirdos EDC'ing lights when I first joined CPF. Now I'm one of those weirdos; depending on the circumstance I'll have *at least* 2 lights on me. :crazy:

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Sounds normal to me, but then again, i EDC up to 4 lights at a time (5 if you count the UV LED....), my "traveling light" EDC setup is just a Fenix L1, full kit is the L1, a 6P, X5, G2, and the 12 LED UV

normally, it's 2-3 (i usually leave the G2 in the car)

when you need to be concerned is when you start EDC'ing a very "specialized" light, like the aforementioned 12 LED UV light, i mean, c'mon, when, in my normal day, will i "need" a UV flashlight, i'm a computer repair tech, for Og's sake, not a CSI investigator....

i carry it because as a tech, i love gadgets, and a UV flashlight has a "cool factor" we tech geek types cant resist, is it practical or useful in daily life, no, is it cool, yes

plus, there's the "my toys are cooler than your toys" factor, i mean, no one else in my immediate area has the ability to summon up UV light on command, but *I* do, and that's cool.... hence, i win! ;)

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Well, ask yourself -- AND your eye-rolling critics -- these questions:

1. Do you keep a spare tire and jack in your car? Why?
2. Do you keep a fire extinguisher (home and car) handy? Why?
3. Do you carry insurance? Why?
4. Do you believe in the Tooth Fairy?
5. Does your self-esteem depend upon the "approval" of others -- such as friends and Significant Others who believe in the Tooth Fairy?

When you get to be as old as me -- and have nearly ALWAYS had a flashlight and some other weapon handy -- you'll lose count of the times they saved the day... both yours' and others'.

Those critics? Laugh them off. They're just the typical, culturally-conditioned naive sheeple that modern society pumps out. They do make charming, well-trained victims -- fully prepared to slide into non-self-reliant panic mode when the smallest emergencies strike. That's when you'll shine (pun intended).

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having been a paid-on-call fire fighter I "saw the light" in the 1980's and EDCd an old brinkman 1AAA until the smaller Solitaire came out. Even then I'd often take my 2C Streamlight (it was very compact) in a jacket pocket - just in case.

A working flashlight is of the few things you can easily carry that might save your or someone else's life.

greenLED

Flashaholic
greenLED said:
I (secretely) shook my head and gave the roll-eye at the weirdos EDC'ing lights when I first joined CPF. Now I'm one of those weirdos; depending on the circumstance I'll have *at least* 2 lights on me. :crazy:

:crackup: I've been laughing at myself for a while now. After posting this, a coworker stops by and asks if I can lend him a flashlight (they know about my lights 'round here).

I reach into my pocket, and... nothing! :thinking: No problem, I always have "**at least* 2 lights on me", right? Apparently not this time, but no problem. I take out my keychain, only to find my ArcAAA is missing ("playing" with it last night...). No problem, I keep my bike lights in my desk... nope, not today (I guess I left them home) :stupid: I'm still not worried, I reach into my pack... just LED blinkers in there. Where's my 24/7? (back in the car...)

:huh2:

I look dumb and tell him I forgot my lights today. What's that? GreenLED forgot his 4 EDC lights today (not counting the 24/7)!? :crackup: I should be :banned: My coworker, of course, thinks it's totally normal for someone not to have a light; me, I'm feeling naked as he walks out the door. An hour later it's my lunch break so I go for my bike helmet... and there's my NG500/miniMag combo strapped on it! :ohgeez:

What can I say? Saved by the bell... :) I avoided being :banned: by my helmet light.

Thought I'd share the chuckle (and if you had a laugh, that means you are a flashaholic). :)

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, that is not weird!! I am physically incapable of leaving the house with out a flashlight!! I have 3 attached to my keychain, and I always have a flashlight in my jacket.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only recently gotten into quality lights, but I'm starting to display this behavior too. I've long had this "problem" with knives. I feel naked if I don't have a knife in my pocket. Usually I have several (plain edge clipped to right front pocket, serrated edge IWB right side, LM Squirt and Swissbit SAK on keychain, and a Cybertool 29 in my right pocket, and a LM XTi in my backpack). I don't go from one side of the house to the other without a knife. A lot of it is knifesturbation, since the majority of my blades are balisongs or autos, but I just feel better with a knife in my pocket. I never leave the house without a knife.

And now it's happening with lights. It first started with a white Photon II on my keychain. Now I've got a violet Photon Freedom, Arc-P AAA, and Swissbit (red LED) on my keychain, and usually a HDS Basic 42XR or Fenix L1P in my pocket--in the house. I don't leave the house without the HDS, even if I know I'll be back before sunset.

DaveG

Enlightened
I thought something was wrong with me and my love of flashlights and knives,always carry both. People tease and make jokes about my thing with lights and knives,but when thay have to cut or light somthing up thay ask me for help.This forum is the best in knowing I am not alone in my way of thinking. Some people want to have some control when life throws a curve ball at you and some no matter what will not be ready for any of lifes curve balls.

CLHC

Flashaholic
my name is fake said:
I find myself carrying my lights *everywhere* i go. . .Do I need help?

No. . .I realize that there are many out there that look at people who carry flashlights on their person as being "weird"! But as already mentioned elsewhere, just wait till they find themselves in a light deficient area all of a sudden. Good to know that you're prepared! Happens many a times. . ."Wait! I can't see! Please! I need a light here!" Or something along those lines.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Murphy is never far away. Once you start EDCing a light, you can be sure that the first time you decide not too will be the time you regret it.

Germ

Enlightened
MacTech, what are some uses for a UV light for in real life if you aren't a crime scene investigator, other than seeing how really disgusting a bathroom is :)

I had a girlfriend that would probably really be doing the rolleyes. I'm not sure why, but she really had a dislike for planning for mishaps. She probably would have thought the money for the light would have been better spent elsewhere.

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
Germ

Still LEO oriented but not exactly crime scene tech stuff...

UV lights are also useful for checking IDs.

Certain types of identification & Immigration cards have UV visible markings.

carrot

Flashaholic
UV lights are also fun for burning out your retinas, curing boredom (by seeing what things you have laying around that fluoresce), finding semen on hotel bedsheets (yes it glows, apparently), and giving yourself a DIY tan while riding the subway.

I feel naked when I'm not carrying my SF G2, Mini Maglite (we have a love-hate relationship), digital camera, USB flash drive, watch, and at least other thing from this list: Leatherman, Palm, iPod, or caffeine mints. Woohoo! Go-go-gadget-fiend!

Latest posts