Is this the year you will add a tri-led light to your group?

CUL8R

Enlightened
Just did. Received my new Thrunite TN30 today with 3 XM-L2 leds rated at 3600 Lumens. I'm charging 3 new 3400mAh Eagletac batteries right now. But I won't be able to test it much until this weekend. The only light in its class I have to test it against is a 35W Oracle HID flashlight I got a couple years ago. Looking forward to see if a self-contained handheld LED light can finally match up with a HID flashlight.

Jim

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to, as everyone needs one extra-powerful light in their arsenal. I'd like to see something with a better selection of levels, instead of only 3 or so which makes no sense in a 3k lumen light. I think Zebralight scores best in that regard.

My Thrunite TN-30 has 7 levels from 1 lumen to 2700 lumens, with 5 other widely spaced levels in between. I didnt know there was a 3000 lumen light with only 3 levels.

The only thing I wonder about with the newer, shorter, smaller lights like the new Zebralight S6330, is that its so short and narrow that its 3 reflectors are very shallow and very narrow, so I would think its very floody with limited throw potential.

magnum70383

Enlightened
When did Thrunite make a XM-L2 light? I thought the TN30 is a 3000 lumen, XM-L U2 light?

Just did. Received my new Thrunite TN30 today with 3 XM-L2 leds rated at 3600 Lumens. I'm charging 3 new 3400mAh Eagletac batteries right now. But I won't be able to test it much until this weekend. The only light in its class I have to test it against is a 35W Oracle HID flashlight I got a couple years ago. Looking forward to see if a self-contained handheld LED light can finally match up with a HID flashlight.

Jim

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy, is this thread confused!

First, there were multi-LED flashlights around just about forever. The "powerful" LED lights many years ago were multi-LED, since individual LED's were weak. Most of us had at least a few.

Next, we got drop-ins for popular flashlights. I remember a 3xLED OPALEC drop-in, it went into a 2xAA Minimag and improved it a lot, raising the output to, oh, 10 lumens or so.

My first powerful 3x drop-in was an Elektrolumens creation, 3xSSC's in fact, for a 3xD Maglite. I still use that one, all these years later, since it puts out a beautiful, creamy white 600 lumens.

Fast forward to today. Basic question, what is the flashlight to be used for?

Is it just to impress your friends without really using the flashlight for some other purpose? Then go for a small drop-in, today you can get them for 1600 lumens (e.g., Oveready). This will be more impressive to your friends than say a massive light with 8xAA or 4x18650 batteries and a huge reflector.

If you really need such a flashlight for some purpose, you need to think carefully. If you want long throw, the multi-LEDs tend to not be the best choice.

So really you are saying you want a big room lighter, or for outdoors use a big light for the near surrounding area.

If so, choose by battery type, what type of rechargeable battery you want to invest in, plus recharger. Multi 18650 will be most powerful, but also most expensive (figure $21 per, for the latest and greatest capacity units).

And one final point. I see posts saying how great it is for these big room lighters to also have a very low level, such as 7 lumens. Wow. I am carrying a big fat flashlight with 4x18650's (basically, like a large laptop battery!) so I can put out 7 lumens? Just get a 1xAAA light (or an even smaller one) and you can cover all your low lumen needs and then some. Such powerful flashlights should have the max-blast setting, and maybe a useful lower level (such as 60 or 80 lumens) for the long runtime. You don't need all the other levels.

Last edited:

g.p.

Enlightened
And one final point. I see posts saying how great it is for these big room lighters to also have a very low level, such as 7 lumens. Wow. I am carrying a big fat flashlight with 4x18650's (basically, like a large laptop battery!) so I can put out 7 lumens? Just get a 1xAAA light (or an even smaller one) and you can cover all your low lumen needs and then some. Such powerful flashlights should have the max-blast setting, and maybe a useful lower level (such as 60 or 80 lumens) for the long runtime. You don't need all the other levels.
Why would I want to carry a second light when I'm already packing around "a big fat flashlight" that could easily do the job of the smaller one with a few simple changes from the manufacturer? I shouldn't have to carry a second light just to get into the tent/trailer/car/etc while I'm out hiking, camping, and hunting.

:confused:

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would I want to carry a second light when I'm already packing around "a big fat flashlight" that could easily do the job of the smaller one with a few simple changes from the manufacturer? I shouldn't have to carry a second light just to get into the tent/trailer/car/etc while I'm out hiking, camping, and hunting.

:confused:

First, you are saying that "carrying a second flashlight" is a big inconvenience, whereas a 1xAAA flashlight is really nothing to carry.

Second, most people want to carry a backup.

Third, if you want to do something for which a few lumens is enough, why even lift and carry the big fat one around? Just leave it on the ground and go about your business with the 1xAAA.

Fourth, if you are going out camping, is the big fat one even the right tool? Personally I think a smaller flashlight is much better, something between 1x123 and 2x123, with just two modes (max blast and useful lower output with plenty of runtime), or maybe 3 modes. That plus the 1xAAA together weigh a small fraction of the big fat one. If you really want a big output, better even to go for a 2x18650 and get the 500 lumens of near-surrounding area illumination.

Oh, and don't forget to add into your camping pack weight allowance plenty of space and weight for several 18650's to re-fill the big fat one after the 1.5 hours it took it to burn through the energy of 4 of these!

But just think about it for a second: you are carrying a big fat one with a reflector diameter that measures several inches and are putting out 7 lumens! :laughing:

PS -- if you go to the McGizmo forum, and read there the words of the master (Don McLeish), you will find that most of the time he toodles around with a Sapphire (a 5 lumen or so 1xAAA that he makes), and for higher illumination needs then he brings in either a bigger EDC (1x123) or a big reflectored light like the Makai (which even so is just 2x123, so much smaller than a big fat one). So it's not just me coming up with weird ideas, they are also followed by the master!

PS2 -- the more I think about it the more examples I remember, GreenLED I believe described walking part of the Apallachian trail (or a similar adventure) with a 1x123 (a McGizmo PD-S) as his main light; others mention going about with equally small lights, including Zebra headlamp types. I don't recall anyone mentioning going about their outdoors adventure carrying big fat ones!

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always have my Photon Freedom Microlight on my key chain. Infinite brightness ramping adjustment from zero-10 lumens, and the size and weight of a quarter in my pocket.
That's why I never need any light with moonlight modes or anything under 10 lumens.

I have used the two light system like that for as long as I've been into flashlights. If for no other reason, I use it for having light to change the batteries in my other light, and for an emergency back-up light.

Last edited:

Maxbelg

Enlightened
And one final point. I see posts saying how great it is for these big room lighters to also have a very low level, such as 7 lumens.................Such powerful flashlights should have the max-blast setting, and maybe a useful lower level (such as 60 or 80 lumens) for the long runtime. You don't need all the other levels.

I don't agree. I love my AAA flashlights (and have a lot including 2 McGizmos a Mako a Piccolo etc)but only carry and use them when a bigger flashlight is not possible ie at work. (I might carry one as backup in my wallet or small pocket even when I use a bigger flashlight.) When I really use a flashlight I prefer something like my bored 6P with L/M/H Nichia 219 Torchlab triple or even a Malkoff M91W in a MD2 host with high-low ring. Primarily used in low, but with a great beam, a clicky switch and a nice hand-filling size with lots of lumens in reserve, just a click or turn away! I would never have used these as EDC flashlights if they came on high first and especially if they were single level. One of the big benefits of these type of set-ups is the amazing runtime on low.

g.p.

Enlightened
First, you are saying that "carrying a second flashlight" is a big inconvenience, whereas a 1xAAA flashlight is really nothing to carry.

Second, most people want to carry a backup.

Third, if you want to do something for which a few lumens is enough, why even lift and carry the big fat one around? Just leave it on the ground and go about your business with the 1xAAA.

Fourth, if you are going out camping, is the big fat one even the right tool? Personally I think a smaller flashlight is much better, something between 1x123 and 2x123, with just two modes (max blast and useful lower output with plenty of runtime), or maybe 3 modes. That plus the 1xAAA together weigh a small fraction of the big fat one. If you really want a big output, better even to go for a 2x18650 and get the 500 lumens of near-surrounding area illumination.

Oh, and don't forget to add into your camping pack weight allowance plenty of space and weight for several 18650's to re-fill the big fat one after the 1.5 hours it took it to burn through the energy of 4 of these!

But just think about it for a second: you are carrying a big fat one with a reflector diameter that measures several inches and are putting out 7 lumens! :laughing:

PS -- if you go to the McGizmo forum, and read there the words of the master (Don McLeish), you will find that most of the time he toodles around with a Sapphire (a 5 lumen or so 1xAAA that he makes), and for higher illumination needs then he brings in either a bigger EDC (1x123) or a big reflectored light like the Makai (which even so is just 2x123, so much smaller than a big fat one). So it's not just me coming up with weird ideas, they are also followed by the master!

PS2 -- the more I think about it the more examples I remember, GreenLED I believe described walking part of the Apallachian trail (or a similar adventure) with a 1x123 (a McGizmo PD-S) as his main light; others mention going about with equally small lights, including Zebra headlamp types. I don't recall anyone mentioning going about their outdoors adventure carrying big fat ones!
How would adding more levels and useability inconvenience you in any way? With a good UI you wouldn't even have to cycle through any levels that you personally didn't want. I understand that you personally don't want lower levels, but we all have different needs and wants. Appealing to a wider scope of buyers can only benefit the manufacturers.

I don't agree. I love my AAA flashlights (and have a lot including 2 McGizmos a Mako a Piccolo etc)but only carry and use them when a bigger flashlight is not possible ie at work. (I might carry one as backup in my wallet or small pocket even when I use a bigger flashlight.) When I really use a flashlight I prefer something like my bored 6P with L/M/H Nichia 219 Torchlab triple or even a Malkoff M91W in a MD2 host with high-low ring. Primarily used in low, but with a great beam, a clicky switch and a nice hand-filling size with lots of lumens in reserve, just a click or turn away! I would never have used these as EDC flashlights if they came on high first and especially if they were single level. One of the big benefits of these type of set-ups is the amazing runtime on low.
+1

Last edited:

rc51mike

Newly Enlightened
I just happened to have stumbled across a picture of a Nitecore TM15 then read the review here and ordered one. My first venture into tri-LED or even 18650/CR123's for that matter. Til now I've been smitten with one AA lights like my Fenix, Jetbeam and Lumapower. There is something about a light's design and form that catches my eye and think I need to have it, practicalities coming in second place. I had been looking for more power that would be useful living on a boat as we do. At night, around docks more than AA would be handy but not quite needing sun scorching searchlight.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, thanks to twl for his post -- as always a wise and balanced one! Pay attention, folks.

Second, MaxBelg says he disagrees, but on inspection and closer reading doesn't really. The MD2 with the M91W is a perfectly sized outdoors light, not a multi-LED big roomlighter. The hi/low setup is exactly what I was talking about, and that is what that flashlight has. So where exactly is the disagreement? Moreover, the low of the MD2 is hardly 5 lumens, it is much higher. So again, no disagreement there. If MaxBelg doesn't like the AAA's, he is basically saying he doesn't like the 5 lumens to get around with, and again, I would agree!

Finally, G.P. on programmability/large number of output levels. Every complexity has some cost, to the electronics, efficiency, reliability, ease of use in the field, etc.

But my big point is simply that if you think about various purposes for flashlights (diving, caving, hiking, indoors, urban setting, light polluted vs. clean atmosphere, low moon to full moon, walking the dog, etc., etc.) and try to match the need with an appropriate flashlight, you are going to find a wide variety in size, batteries, reflector type, tint, etc., etc.

The big light with 8 output levels tries to pretend to be able to do everything. In fact, the multi-LED big flashlights are unlikely to be good choices to get long throw, or low weight, or low lumens, and many other purposes.

All I am saying is to think out of the box if necessary, match the flashlight to the need, and remember to think whether two small flashlights can outdo one big one for many situations!

g.p.

Enlightened
Finally, G.P. on programmability/large number of output levels. Every complexity has some cost, to the electronics, efficiency, reliability, ease of use in the field, etc.
I would have agreed with you up until I used a Zebralight. They're one of the most effecient lights out there (on all levels), and my wife and preschooler have both been able to figure out the UI without any instructions. Reliabilty has been great for me, and I'm willing to pay the premium price for such excellent features.

The correct flashlight for the situation is ideal of course, but not always possible. Sometimes you have to use what you've got on hand. During those times I'd rather have lower levels and save my batteries. No sense blasting 400 lumens when you only need a fraction of that, especially when you're burning through 3-4 cells at a time. I just don't understand the mentality of not even wanting the option.

Maxbelg

Enlightened
.............Second, MaxBelg says he disagrees.......If MaxBelg doesn't like the AAA's..............

I suggest you re-read my post: I love AAAs or else I wouldn't have bought 2 McGizmos, a Mako a Piccolo a SS Fenix LD01 etc etc. I just prefer a proper sized flashlight for general usage.

I EDC'd my MD2 m91W only until I now got my Torchlab dropin (LMH Nichia 219) and bored 6P (and my Oveready bored C2 arrived yesterday). This dropin can do everything my Malkoff set-up could do and more. Its spill starts at my feet for outdoor usage which I prefer to the cone of spill of the M91W which starts a few feet in front of me. So my point was that I prefer the L to come on first for general usage, despite the fact that AAA flashlights are able to produce more lumens than my setup on low. I don't see these powerful dropins as only useful for full-blast maximum setting usage with a medium for runtime; they are ideal for low general usage because of the lack of a small hotspot, their beautiful spill and their amazing runtime on low and then have a lot of OOMPH if needed.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a Torchlab Pocket Triple.
It has a super powerful output on high, and being a small light, it has limited run time on Max output.
I love the light, and I carry a couple spare batteries if I'm going to use Max a lot.

The progressive clicky UI isn't my favorite, but the good points outweigh that, IMO.
In an overall sense, this Pocket Triple is so good that it seems to make me feel that almost all other lights on the market are obsolete. It has output on Max that is stronger than many much larger lights, and it slips right into my pants pocket easily. That alone is very enticing. But the quality of the build and design is really tops too.
It spoils a person against other lights in many ways. Even though it's expensive to buy, I feel like it was a bargain for what it offers.
It's out of many people's budget, but it can do what no other small EDC can do. It's as powerful as my Malkoff Wildcat Triple XPG2, and it is about the size of an HDS rotary EDC.
Very amazing light.

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear G.P. and MexBelg,

thanks again for the replies, I think I understand much better now where you are coming from.

On programmability, I think I mean I don't need or want several levels, but do like two (or max three). Yes to the big output and the lower but useful level that gives the long runtime. I haven't used the Zebra, but I have two level tailcaps for my Elzetta for example, and for the Malkoff Houndog XML I have the Lo/Hi.

What I was talking about not liking is these new large flashlights with 8 levels. To my mind much better to get a AAA for low lumen uses plus a bigger but not huge flashlight (my preference, 2x123) with a hi/lo.

Of course like MaxBelg says, there are other differences that can be important, which to him include whether the flashlight starts on Low (or at least has a memory, I guess) and the type of light shape. Of course, I agree with this, too, though I wasn't referring to it. Personally I like more throwy type lights and carry a diffuser if needed for floodier light. Since I use Surefire compatible lights, I can use a Surefire diffuser which can be opened with one hand for throw, or closed (it has a spring-operated opening) for flood.

Vive la difference!

Last edited:

Maxbelg

Enlightened
........Pocket Triple is so good that it seems to make me feel that almost all other lights on the market are obsolete.........though it's expensive to buy.....

I agree although I prefer the 18650 or 2x 18350 size for runtime and regulated high. The new EDC triple by Illumination supply and EDC is a much cheaper introduction to the benefits of triples and can run on primaries as well.

Latest posts