It's here the Zebralight SC5C MK II H CRI

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Is there a difference between g6 and g7? As it looks above they are exactly the same. I was expecting programmable ui later in the year and on 18650s first. But I'm ok with this. I'll end up with the sc5c mkII and an h53c more than likely.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a difference between g6 and g7? As it looks above they are exactly the same. I was expecting programmable ui later in the year and on 18650s first. But I'm ok with this. I'll end up with the sc5c mkII and an h53c more than likely.
I don't think so. I think there should be though. G6 could be L1, L2, M1, M2, H1, H2, and G7 could be L1, L2, L3, M1, M2, M3, H1, H2, H3.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Got it. So 3 mode groups that are accessible and 2 are full programmable with g5 having fixed h1, m1, l1, basically a stock ui. This sounds fantastic.

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think so. I think there should be though. G6 could be L1, L2, M1, M2, H1, H2, and G7 could be L1, L2, L3, M1, M2, M3, H1, H2, H3.

As I understand it the LMH modes can each only have two modes set, not three? I thought it would be where you set the L1 and L2 brightness, whatever you want them to be. From the instructions it doesn't appear that a third mode would be accessible, like with the current UI. Maybe I'm missing something though?

Any thoughts on what the ideal UI would be to customize? The stock UI works fairly well as is but wondering what thoughts others had to create an even better one.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I understand it the LMH modes can each only have two modes set, not three? I thought it would be where you set the L1 and L2 brightness, whatever you want them to be. From the instructions it doesn't appear that a third mode would be accessible, like with the current UI. Maybe I'm missing something though?

Any thoughts on what the ideal UI would be to customize? The stock UI works fairly well as is but wondering what thoughts others had to create an even better one.
Yes, I'm just saying I would love it if they changed it in the future. Maybe on the 18650 lights. I'd love to have more modes easily accessible. Especially multiple moon modes.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may be my first AA zebralight, after owning multiple versions of the SC600 over the years.

Does this latest version have good run times compared to previous AA models? This will be a zombie apocalypse light so if recommendations are given please only compare to other AA statistics and not 14500.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may be my first AA zebralight, after owning multiple versions of the SC600 over the years.

Does this latest version have good run times compared to previous AA models? This will be a zombie apocalypse light so if recommendations are given please only compare to other AA statistics and not 14500.

Zebralight hasn't posted the specs for this model yet with regard to runtimes. They probably will in the next 1-2 weeks but I can't imagine it being much different than their other models.

mhanlen

Enlightened
I just contacted Zebralight about an Fc light and although they said they didn't have anything planned, they were able to put a note on my order to have my light made with a frosted lens instead of clear! You might want to try contacting Zebralight to see if you could get the same kind of deal.

Thanks for the info... I might do that!

EDIT: I just ordered one, after reading that they updated the UI. I am just getting a standard lens though... enough people convinced me it isn't as thowy- and I'm excited about the new UI.

Last edited:

Swede74

Enlightened
I'm excited about the new UI.

I'm excited about your upcoming* review of the SC5c MkII.

* You know you are top tier reviewer when your fans take for granted that you will review their favourite** lights.

** You know you've got the zebra bug bad when you take for granted that their latest model will become one of your favourites.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, Zebralights are about the only lights I buy now. I used to get Nitecore, Fenix, Jetbeam, etc but after awhile found their designs boring, the UI clunkier and the cool white LEDs became unbearable the more I got into warm and high CRI lights. Other than my recent Maratac purchases with Nichia, I can't remember the last time I purchased any other brand outside of Zebralight. The combination of a great UI (and even better hopefully with the new one coming out), great combo of brightness and runtime and warm/high cri options make it tough to beat for under $100.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'd prefer a CR123A version that can take protected 16340

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be getting one for sure. My SC52 is daily carry. It goes with me everywhere. Can't wait to get the mk2. Spring and summer spending time outside and some days staying late gets dark is nice when the ZL comes in handy. My Eneloop are charged and ready to go.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to getting the shipping notice for this... would love for these to ship early but I doubt it. Anyone order this who lives internationally? Usually those ship out first. Looking forwarding to comparing this to my SC5.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
In case you are trying to decide between the SC5 and the H53...

I just got good news from ZL's spokeswoman: the H53c will use a spring on the tailcap, not pogo-pins.

The reason why this matters to me is that the spring in the H52 allows you to feed it on AAA cells without any modifications or spacers.

And the H53c will work the same way. That's several billion more cells that it can make light from, just by dropping it in and screwing down the cap.

I don't want to rehearse the issue of springs vs. pogo-pins in the other ZL lights. When it comes to the SC600 series, I think there are good arguments on both sides. But with the 18650 cell, there is no other cell of a similar length that you could use if the light had springs in place of the pins. So the use of pogo-pins does not immediately lose out on the handy versatility of feeding multiple cell-sizes.

In the AA format, on the other hand, the ability to use AAAs is a huge benefit (even if they don't support the highest output levels, or not for long). So in that case, it seems to me that the case for preferring springs to pins is much stronger.

My guess is that the H53c will not support the same high output that the SC5C will. instead of 475 on H1, they may have it throttled back to 300 or so (though it does say "brighter" than before, and the H52 was 300 on a regular AA). But since the new H53c will not support 14500s anymore, I suspect they will be using the same circuitry in the H53c that they use in the SC5c.

Anyhow--I don't want to stop anyone from buying an SC5c. But I *know* that I will be buying an H53c. Pre-orders in a week or so.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
In case you are trying to decide between the SC5 and the H53...

I just got good news from ZL's spokeswoman: the H53c will use a spring on the tailcap, not pogo-pins.

The reason why this matters to me is that the spring in the H52 allows you to feed it on AAA cells without any modifications or spacers.

And the H53c will work the same way. That's several billion more cells that it can make light from, just by dropping it in and screwing down the cap.

I don't want to rehearse the issue of springs vs. pogo-pins in the other ZL lights. When it comes to the SC600 series, I think there are good arguments on both sides. But with the 18650 cell, there is no other cell of a similar length that you could use if the light had springs in place of the pins. So the use of pogo-pins does not immediately lose out on the handy versatility of feeding multiple cell-sizes.

In the AA format, on the other hand, the ability to use AAAs is a huge benefit (even if they don't support the highest output levels, or not for long). So in that case, it seems to me that the case for preferring springs to pins is much stronger.

My guess is that the H53c will not support the same high output that the SC5C will. instead of 475 on H1, they may have it throttled back to 300 or so (though it does say "brighter" than before, and the H52 was 300 on a regular AA). But since the new H53c will not support 14500s anymore, I suspect they will be using the same circuitry in the H53c that they use in the SC5c.

Anyhow--I don't want to stop anyone from buying an SC5c. But I *know* that I will be buying an H53c. Pre-orders in a week or so.

If they are using the same electronics, I hope they'll make a sc53 with it, and I'll get that instead of the sc5 mk2. But I have a feeling the performance of the sc5 and the sc5 mk2 requires a bigger board that does not fit into the H52 or sc52 series.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they are using the same electronics, I hope they'll make a sc53 with it, and I'll get that instead of the sc5 mk2. But I have a feeling the performance of the sc5 and the sc5 mk2 requires a bigger board that does not fit into the H52 or sc52 series.

I don't know if the size of the board will be a limiting factor--we're pretty good at making circuits smaller--but the size and mass of the body is a reason why they might want to throttle back the output of the H53 and Sc53 series. That heavy SC5 body gives a greater initial reservoir for the calories to build up, as well as a slightly bigger surface to dissipate them.

So I doubt that they will pack *all* of the performance of the SC5c into the Sc53 or H53 models. Probably they will run at a lower max output, and perhaps with a more aggressive heat-management setting.

Ah, hell--get 'em both. The SC5c for the max output, the H53c for the lighter weight, AAA adaptability, and headlamp configuration.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SC52d that I wish was a c, and an XPL vs XML would be a new thing for the collection. But I would much rather it be the thinner (possible) SC53c and I hope with PID H1 like the also under-heatsunk SC63. An SC63c might be a better option for me, though. I have a Convoy S2 size and an L10 high CRI nichia, and a really old SC51c with the Luxeon rebel. The SC52d is 85CRI which certainly isn't shabby but I would like a "c" Zebralight newer than the SC51, be it an AA or 18650 model. For light quality, though, the 4000k Nichia is probably spoiling me even if it is using a linear driver. Not sure if the XPL will quite measure up in the reds.

I'll be the only one in the world thinking this, I bet: I wish the SC5 was bored to accommodate a NiMH A cell (17500 size). Why? Just out of tech nostalgia for the cell size and wanting something that could run off it. The SC5 is big enough and power hungry enough to make good use of one. 3000mAh, but 5A max discharge for the PKcell NiMH A. Doesn't the SC5 pull 6A at H1?

Latest posts