It's Janurary 7, northeast of Boston...

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
MikeF said:
Here in Denver, we got some very slight melting today so we cleaned off the driveway and sidewalks again. My son has definately learned how to use a snow shovel. He feels cheated however because he was on Christmas vacation and we had several days that would have been snow days from school. My work truck has four studded snow tires, and although it is 2wd, it has been doing very well getting around. The major roads are fairly clear, with the side roads and residential streets more challenging.
yup it also melted a little here but once it melted it just froze an hour later and now is slicker than snot. i had a heck of a time diging out my dos kennel of over a foot of pure ice. took me about two hours to dig i strip 4 fett long.

IT SUCKS!

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
We stayed home for 2 days!
but it's beautiful!! It's so peaceful & quiet when it snows like that - really nice!!

I'm sure it's a pain to dig out after the snowfall but you paint a calm and tranquil world that I could easily embrace. Oh, the solitude! But how do you get your lights delivered?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
fnmag said:
Sigman said:
We stayed home for 2 days!
but it's beautiful!! It's so peaceful & quiet when it snows like that - really nice!!

I'm sure it's a pain to dig out after the snowfall but you paint a calm and tranquil world that I could easily embrace. Oh, the solitude! But how do you get your lights delivered?
They get delivered LATE! :D (Just like the mail - whatever happened to that ole' saying about rain/sleet/snow not holding up the mail? Those were the old days I guess!! Just like UPS 2 day taking 3/4 days to deliver! (read the fine print I guess!! ) :ohgeez:

kevinm

Enlightened
MayCooper said:
I wish it would snow out here.... even if it were just a little... So far it hasn't even been freezing around these parts. I want a real winter again :(

You pay shipping and I'll send the driveway. That'll keep you for a while. :)

I never thought we'd beat Alaska, but my lawn was 23" deep in snow when the blizzard hit. Next week it will probably be 100F and then another 3 feet of snow. That's Colorado for ya'.

Kevin

MikeF

Enlightened
I spent the morning in 35-65mph winds along the front range. They had several roads closed due to blowing and drifting snow. No new snowfall, just re-arranging what's already there. It was Chinook Winds, warm winds that will help melt a lot of the snow that has fallen since 12/20/06. Another storm is on the way Thursday-Friday, with 10-16 inches a possibility.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
growing up in Chicago in the 70's and 80's, there were always a few days during my christmas vacation where I could play outside without a coat. I have pictures of me as like a 10 year old on Christmas day, outside driving a new remote controlled car across the patio with a clear 75 showing on the thermostat.

So it's really not all that unusual to have a few very warm days.

Now that I live in the "deep south" we've just gotten over a couple of weeks like that. Very warm, I've been in short sleeves the last 2 weeks! But tonight things are going back to normal it's only 45 out right now and is going to keep falling and should be normal for the rest of the forecast range.

Wish it would snow here once in a while. It DOES snow here, I remember the last time, it was before we moved and were visiting the in laws and everyone was freaking out. We were driving and I was pointing out individual snowflakes to my wife. Look! There is a snowflake!! HEY Look there's another one ;)

It didn't amount to much other than closing the schools :D They are so funny here about snow.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, I always wanted to visit Fairbanks, not sure why. I've experienced -35F growing up in northern Vermont but not the extreme you guys have. You have to use specially formulated gas in the winter, don't you?

On the flip side my cousin lives in Anchorage and he tells stories of traveling to Fairbanks as part of a summer softball league and playing softball at ten o'clock at night.

alaskawolf said:
-36º F here right now the highs are expected to be between -25ºf to -30º F , supposed to drop to -45º F tonight

its been too cold to snow for most of the winter

alaskawolf

Enlightened
they have baseball games at midnight while wearing sun glasses during summer time :cool:

during winter time anchorage and Fairbanks are like two totally different countries tempature wise, i had a few friends drive down to Anchorage this week just to be in a warmer climate.

http://www.geocities.com/abaccola/winter.html

damn i sure do miss summer time. i just took a picture of a couple of friends in their swimwear in front of a time and temp sign at -40º F ill try to get some pictures up :p

pathalogical

Enlightened
I think our snowfall so far has bee less than 2cm according to the news. It keeps raining instead of snowing. I think I'm going to have to mow the lawn, it's still green ! One ski resort north of the city has had to temporarily lay off 1300 workers. I do like the snow, and lots of it. I agree with Sigman, it really is quiet and peaceful when there's lots of snow.

alaskawolf

Enlightened
high noon in alaska at -46º F

P1090119.jpg

Empath

Flashaholic
That -40 degrees shouldn't confuse anyone, whether they're accustomed to Fahrenheit or Centigrade. It's minus 40 on both scales.