Its the NEW Mini Scout Light Surefire M300A

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
The point of a 1-cell scout light escapes me.

Now bring on a 1 cell pistol light, please. Streamlight got it almost right with their TLR-3...

azzkikr

Newly Enlightened
hey dafabricata just give larue a few months of this little thing being on the market and i'm sure they'll make one for it lol

Patriot

Flashaholic
hey dafabricata just give larue a few months of this little thing being on the market and i'm sure they'll make one for it lol

No way of making that happen actually. That thumb screw mount is part of the body on the M300. You'd have to stick that head on a E1B or E1E body and then purchase LaRue's generic lever for E-series lights. I'm with Dafab, that the ARMS lever is much nicer than the thumb screw.

I was just comparing my Scoutlight to an X200 on the same gun and the X200 design is nearly impossible to beat. It fits very close to the rail and almost goes unnoticed on a full size rifle. On my that particular gun the X200 is only there as a back up to the M900A, so I like that it goes unnoticed untill you need it. The more I think about the M300 the less I understand it. I suppose I can recognize a couple of slight advantages, they just wouldn't be advantages for my style of use. Perhaps for someone else....

Size15's

Flashaholic
Are you advocating an X200 over an X300?
If so which one? The X200A or the X200B?
(I could see your point for the X200B for close-quarters indoors use but Shirley the X300 is the far better all-rounder?)

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry Vicker's is a huge proponent of smaller/lighter = better on an M4 carbine.

He long been advocating the use of an X-300 light on the rail foreend in front of the front sight for a long time; a micro aimpoint; leaving the quick detatch buckles off of the sling.

He also says that anything much over 100 lumens for close-up work is detrimental (lose to much night vision from the bounce).

Anytime you make something smaller and lighter on the rifle you have a win. Lighter when carried, and less stuff sticking out to get hung up on kit and door frames is bueno.

A few others from Vicker's unit have said the same thing, so I think it is an organizational preference for small and light, forward mounted with no tapeswitches. This is different from SWAT types who seem to prefer big and powerful with tapeswitches and/or vertical foregrip switches at the mid point of the handguard.

The thing to remember is soldiers (even those in the counterterror realm) and police officers have very different jobs and what works for one may not be ideal for the other.

I've experimented with my X-300 railed to the front sight post, but needed a laser and decided on a Viridian X5L. I got some training with this setup (under the instruction of a guy from Vicker's former unit) and it works reasonably well. A tapeswitch, for my purposes, would be nice, though.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
(I could see your point for the X200B for close-quarters indoors use but Shirley the X300 is the far better all-rounder?)
I completely agree. The X300 is far better light than either the X200A or B model. Though the X200B is a pretty good light, for what it is...

Patriot

Flashaholic

I'm advocating the form factor of the entire X series in general. Which ever beam the "operator" needs, there is, or was at one time an X series to suit his needs. I only mentioned the X200 specifically since that's the secondary light on one of my favorite rifles. :)

Again, I suppose one could find a niche in which the M300A excels, I just don't know what that niche would be yet. If I was looking for a light to be used on a Bullpup rifle or some other carbine of limited rail space, I'd probably still select the X300. I think it possess some distinct advantages for use on both pistols and rifles.

AR_Shorty

Enlightened
No way of making that happen actually. That thumb screw mount is part of the body on the M300.

Actually, LaRue Tactical is already selling the M300A along with their proprietary throw-lever mount (same one that they sell for the mini-scout's big brother) as a combo package. This seems to indicate that the mount is not a permanent part of the light body. I have one ordered from LaRue, but unfortunately the first batch they got in went very quickly, so I'm waiting...:mecry:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The MH30 Housing Body like the MH60 Housing Body features a machined mounting point to accept either SureFire's rail mount or an aftermarket alternative.

Even with the rail mount removed the housing body machining makes it uncomfortable for handheld use although it can be done if necessary (it doesn't replace the need for a dedicated handheld light)

Patriot

Flashaholic
azzkikr was correct, I was wrong. While the body of the M300A is machined just like the MH60 body, it's dovetailed to accept the thumb screws or ARMS mount or as he suggested, the Larue. The LT-172 in this case. Btw, I think the Larue is a better designed thumb lever mount than the ARMS.

Props to AR Shorty for the "heads up."

Last edited:

AR_Shorty

Enlightened
LaRue mounts blow away ARMS mounts by a mile. Much better construction and materials. LaRue is a great company and they take good care of their customers. I can't wait for my M300A to arrive.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I got to play around with the Mini Scout today and mounted it on various AR rifles as well as an M1A. It's a cool little light and really hard not to like it actually. I could see mounting it on the small forward rail section of a bullpup design but given the rail space on most conventional rifles AR quad rails I think I'll stick to two cell lights. Very cute, in a cool sort of way, a bit pricey, and not quite as bright as some two cell options but hey, it's a Surefire. :) It's about time to pick up another weapon light and I was looking at it and the X400. It still looks like it's going to be the X400 for now.

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
Patriot-

Mind letting us know what you decide? Was running an X300 on my AR, sold it but still run an X300 on my HGs.

Have been also looking hard @ the Scout-Mini for my AR but might just go w/ another X300.

Keep us in the loop when you decide so we can get your feedback, especially between the Scoutlight & X400.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've been going back and forth about these two lights but I've settled on the x300. For some reason, it just seems like there's more value associated with the X300. Maybe that's because it's a two cell light with a specialized body design. I guess it just seems like it's more of a refined weaponlight design as compared to the Mini Scout. The other thing working against the MS is the protruding thumb knob. I'm just not fond of that design at it adds a lot of bulk. The MS seems to displace more area on the rail than the X300 when you consider the thumb knob and tail switch. I mounted it to a LWRC, and it took up the whole rail. I also mounted both lights on a Microtech MSAR and again like the X300. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow if possible.

AR_Shorty

Enlightened
I have both the X300 and the M300. I like them both. I have the X300 mounted on my Mossberg 590 and the M300 is mounted on my AR15. I'm using LaRue's mount instead of the OEM Surefire thumbscrew mount. The M300 is lighter, but also not quite as bright (still more than adequate for mid-range use). The M300 seems like it could handle more abuse than the X300. My AR is already loaded up with accessories, so for me, the weight savings and added ruggedness is nice.

Mossberg 590
5901.jpg

AR15
SFM300.jpg

Patriot

Flashaholic
Good pics AR Shorty. I really like the little LaRue lever mount that you installed instead of the thumbscrew. It makes the light seem so much smaller.