Jet 1 v.3 -vs- RRT-0 -vs- ?

cgonko

Newly Enlightened
I will give you a hint, I'm waiting and they will be the same price.

Notice "Coming Soon" ;) http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/index.html

Hmmmm..... She's still portly and has rings around her hot spot then..... ;-). (I should quit while I'm ahead....) Seriously though, the rings on the rrt are butt ugly, and bugoutgear only gives option for smooth reflector, so you know they're there.

cgonko

Newly Enlightened
Can you say XP-G R5 no rings?

Cool emitter, but you have to admit that absent reflector re-design they've kind of eliminated the "throw" allure. Floody is nice, too, but that emitter seems to change the fundamental allure of either model.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
You have offically delayed my purchase. Should I hope for more? Will I be dissapointed if I wait and the intimated sure thing doesn't materialize, ........
How long do you reckon that "coming soon: new jetbeam models" has been on that website page?

I don't know if you'll be "disappointed" but I'll bet London to a brick that it's not far down the track that you'll wish you hadn't "delayed" your purchase.

MR.A

Newly Enlightened
go for Jetbeam RRT-0, i got it before a month and i like it a lot. you can use any kind of 123 and AA you like.lovecpf

maskman

Newly Enlightened
I've had the Jet-1 v.3 for near a year now and it's still one of my favorites. I had wanted the RRT-0 once I saw the pre-release photo, but I could never get past the clip on clip and factory set modes.

I'm not expecting any changes in the RRT-0 so the only waiting I'm doing is for reports on the Nitecore Infilux after its release. The Infilux appears to be what I had expected from the RRT-0 except for the XPG emitter.

Still, I highly recommend the Jet-1 v.3 and I would buy another if I were to lose it.

cgonko

Newly Enlightened
I've had the Jet-1 v.3 for near a year now and it's still one of my favorites. I had wanted the RRT-0 once I saw the pre-release photo, but I could never get past the clip on clip and factory set modes.

I'm not expecting any changes in the RRT-0 so the only waiting I'm doing is for reports on the Nitecore Infilux after its release. The Infilux appears to be what I had expected from the RRT-0 except for the XPG emitter.

Still, I highly recommend the Jet-1 v.3 and I would buy another if I were to lose it.

I'm thinking I'll get the Jet-1. Which reflector, thought? Is the smooth really ringy like the smooth RRT beamshots I've seen?

maskman

Newly Enlightened
I chose the OP reflector as I'm not fond of Cree rings myself. When the option is available it's always hard for me to decide which sacrifice to make, whether to give up a little throw for a smooth clean beam or to take my chances with a SMO. You could purchase the extra SMO reflector in addition to the OP at BOG. It costs just a little more than a burger and fries where I'm from. Don't forget to use the CPF discount specific to the dealer you choose.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking I'll get the Jet-1. Which reflector, thought? Is the smooth really ringy like the smooth RRT beamshots I've seen?

Good choice I have both and the Jet-I gets carried in my pocket daily. The RRT-0 is great I love the selector ring but the Jet-I is every bit as bright on 14500 and stays regulated until the battery drains completely.

I think the easiest way to decide between these two is if you plan on using 1450 go with the Jet-I or if you plan on primary go with the RRT-0, the RRT-0 is just to long with the extender to make any practical sense when using 14500 IMO. The textured reflector seems the way to go, your not going to lose much throw and it helps to keep the dark rings to a minimum in these two lights. Whatever model you choose though your going to get a great little light.

OCD

Enlightened
Don't let the shoddy factory clip of the RRT-0 be the deciding factor. A Nitecore D10 clip can be fitted to the R2 version of this light with very minor modifications to one component of the clip. There are threads, one of which I posted my success in, on how this can be done.

LOVE, LOVE, LOOOOOOOOVE my RRT-0!

Rides clipped in the left-front pocket of my khakis every day and I have to do the ritualitstic self pat down to make sure it as well as my Maratac AAA are still there!

Flashlike

Enlightened
I just received the Jet 1 V3 ordered from BOG. I ordered the "warm tint" version with OP reflector which was an option at the time I ordered it a couple of days ago.

I would describe the tint as "neutral" rather than warm. I'm satisfied with the tint but it came with SMO reflector instead of the OP reflector that I ordered. The hot spot has a noticeably darker area in the center which is quite pronounced at a distance of 10 feet or more. The spill is somewhat ringy, too.

If I install an OP reflector it should smooth out the spill area of the beam but do you think it will also reduce the "dark center" of the hot spot?

Also, it looks to me like a bezel ring removal tool would be required to change out the reflector--is that correct?

I'll probably just email their customer service department since they didn't ship what I ordered. The packing list even says "Reflector = OP" on it.
Bummed. :(

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
If I install an OP reflector it should smooth out the spill area of the beam but do you think it will also reduce the "dark center" of the hot spot?
it will help scatter light into that dark zone and improve matters. They all seem to have a very slight dark centre even with peel but with peel it's so slight that it becomes invisible in practice except on a light coloured wall (and that's coming form someone who's very sensitive to dark centers).

Also, it looks to me like a bezel ring removal tool would be required to change out the reflector--is that correct?
No, not necessarily. You can use a rubber pad, something along the thickness of a tyre tube. One of those jam jar opening pads one's wife has will work too.

Flashlike

Enlightened
it will help scatter light into that dark zone and improve matters. They all seem to have a very slight dark centre even with peel but with peel it's so slight that it becomes invisible in practice except on a light coloured wall (and that's coming form someone who's very sensitive to dark centers).

No, not necessarily. You can use a rubber pad, something along the thickness of a tyre tube. One of those jam jar opening pads one's wife has will work too.

JaguarDave-in-Oz -- :thanks: for the bezel ring removal advice! Following your suggestion to use a rubber pad I was able to get it removed. It was a little tricky getting the reflector out after I removed the bezel ring because of the clear silicone o-ring that was inserted around the outer top edge of the reflector but by patiently using a couple of pocket knives with small blades (on the outer edges of the reflector, of course) I got it slowly worked up and out of there.

After I got the reflector out I'm thinking to myself, "why did you remove the reflector when you don't have a replacement reflector to put in there" :thinking:
:stupid:

I guess I'm all practiced up now so when I get an OP reflector I can install it.

Anyhow the emitter sets on a disc that is sort of a phenolic material and I was surprised that the disc (and emitter) move around if the disc is touched. Hopefully there is some thermal paste under there!

I may be wrong but I think if a person had a very thin metal washer (shim) if placed underneath the reflector it might eliminate that dark center in the hot spot. I'm going to experiment with that idea.

Thanks again for your post!

Dan FO

Enlightened
Make sure you don't short anything out with that metal washer. ;)

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I may be wrong but I think if a person had a very thin metal washer (shim) if placed underneath the reflector it might eliminate that dark center in the hot spot. I'm going to experiment with that idea.
I have the orange peel on my v3 so I've had no reason to worry but my ST BVC came with a very dark centre and I shimmed it. It took a shim a millimetre thick to make enough difference to make it liveable and that bought about issues with clearances between bezel and body (because the reflector now sat further out). In the end I modified an eagletac orange peel reflector for MUCH better results and no clearance issues. The advantage with the ST BVC was that the shim could be placed between the metal led housing and the reflector so I did not have to sit it on top of that plastic ring which would worry me cos I didn't want to crush anything or squeeze out any thermal paste.

Flashlike

Enlightened
I have the orange peel on my v3 so I've had no reason to worry but my ST BVC came with a very dark centre and I shimmed it. It took a shim a millimetre thick to make enough difference to make it liveable and that bought about issues with clearances between bezel and body (because the reflector now sat further out). In the end I modified an eagletac orange peel reflector for MUCH better results and no clearance issues. The advantage with the ST BVC was that the shim could be placed between the metal led housing and the reflector so I did not have to sit it on top of that plastic ring which would worry me cos I didn't want to crush anything or squeeze out any thermal paste.

Yea, this evening I experimented with slightly shimming the reflector. I didn't have any shim stock handy so I just used some aluminum foil, a pair of scissors, and a paper punch. I tried different thicknesses but nothing much changed in the look of the hot spot.

I ordered an OP reflector so when it comes I'll install it and hope it helps. It looks to me like the emitter doesn't set up high enough (above the phenolic disc) and I think that is what causes the "black hole" effect in the hot spot. Not many others have mentioned this or complained about it, so maybe I got a dud.

Latest posts