Jet 1 v.3 -vs- RRT-0 -vs- ?

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what would be wrong with the RRT-0.

Basically it does what 2xAA flashlights used to do plus it has excellent throw (if you get the SMO reflector, in my opinion the best choice) AND it can use the Li-ion AA (14500) so it can cover the higher lumen outputs if you want. If you NEED flood, it can use the standard F04 diffuser. Or, if you don't need throw, and for some reason can't carry a few extra grams for the diffuser, you could get the OP reflector.

I noticed a thread complaining that there was no such thing as a perfect (commercial) flashlight so that custom (and more expensive) flashlights might be the way. In the end I avoided that thread, fearing all sorts of heated arguments might show up. But really, RRT-0 is a commercial flashlight that does what it says it does flawlessly and it's a great one to have for many types of uses. So is it perfect? For practical purposes, yes, it is!

I use it for travel when I want a multi-purpose light that uses AA's. Because you only need 1xAA, and it can use the Li-ions, it is in fact smaller than most alternatives (which used to require 2xAA). Sure, it is not THE smallest, but that's fine because you get a lot for the extra size, especially the standard large reflector which gives you the throw and the ability to use the F04 diffuser.

I am not sure if tint is an issue for people in this thread, but the new RRT-0 is available in the warmer tint, at some loss of efficiency (smaller output/runtimes).

Finally, build quality seems great. This selector ring takes a tiny amount of space and moves well. For multiple output levels it is quite an excellent solution (if implemented right), since you don't have to fiddle with twisting the head and/or the tailcap, which leaves a much more solid feel to the whole light.

Last edited:

Flashlike

Enlightened
Does the RRT-0 have a forward switch (I'm talking about the rear tailcap switch)?
Also, are the threads the same on the tailcap switches for the Jet1 V3 and the RRT-0?

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Not sure what would be wrong with the RRT-0.

Basically it does what 2xAA flashlights used to do plus it has excellent throw (if you get the SMO reflector, in my opinion the best choice) AND it can use the Li-ion AA (14500) so it can cover the higher lumen outputs if you want. If you NEED flood, it can use the standard F04 diffuser. Or, if you don't need throw, and for some reason can't carry a few extra grams for the diffuser, you could get the OP reflector..
it was my impresion from the RRT-0 order page of bugoutgear that the RRT-0 in normal tint was only available with smooth reflector and that only the warm tint version was able to be optioned with the orange peel. Or am I reading somethign wrong?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the RRT-0 have a forward switch (I'm talking about the rear tailcap switch)?
Also, are the threads the same on the tailcap switches for the Jet1 V3 and the RRT-0?

Yes it does have a forward switch and it does not have a tailcap like the Jet-I but rather the battery tube is one piece and the battery is loaded from the head. You can take the switch out, there is a ring around the rubber boot on the outside you take off.

OCD

Enlightened
it was my impresion from the RRT-0 order page of bugoutgear that the RRT-0 in normal tint was only available with smooth reflector and that only the warm tint version was able to be optioned with the orange peel. Or am I reading somethign wrong?

I ordered mine in April (cool tint) and had the option of Smooth or orange peel. I chose the orange peel based on previous threads stating the smooth left rings. I couldn't be happier with the beam (and throw) from the OP reflector.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Ah well, I guess some people have all the luck. They must have run out or something cos they now list cool tint as "R2 SMO only" and that stopped me from ordering one cos I wasn't gunna order a warm just to get the peely reflector. That's probably a good thing as I already have two jet-1 V3's whihc do the job perfectly well so I'd probably have only been looking to buy a RRT-0 for interest's sake anyway.

Flashlike

Enlightened
Yes it does have a forward switch and it does not have a tailcap like the Jet-I but rather the battery tube is one piece and the battery is loaded from the head. You can take the switch out, there is a ring around the rubber boot on the outside you take off.

Humm...I was wondering if the forward switch "innards" from an RRT-0 might fit into a Jet 1 V3 tailcap. Probably not, but it was just a hopeful thought.

I emailed Jetbeam Customer Service and inquired whether there was a forward switch available for the Jet 1 V3 and this was their reply:

"Thank you for your info. Right now we don't have forward clickies for JET I V3.0.

I will forward your email to our relative colleague for consideration. Thank you very much."

Perhaps if they get more email requests for a forward replacement switch they would move it up on the priority list?! :poke:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
just received an email from jetbeam stating that RRT-0 using a XP-G R5 is in the works. and the reflector has been changed to suit the XP-G.

they didnt answer my question about neutral tint XP-Gs but its nice they replied in a timely fashion.

still have my fingers crossed about the neutral tint XP-G.

Dan FO

Enlightened
Hey I tried to tell people that a new XP-G R5 RRT-0 would be coming out soon but nobody would believe me. Maybe they will believe Flavio. :D

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Hey I tried to tell people that a new XP-G R5 RRT-0 would be coming out soon but nobody would believe me. Maybe they will believe Flavio. :D
Let's not get too precious, you're not quite right about what you said yet. You actually said, almost a couple of weeks ago
Wait till the new RRT-0 comes out in a couple of weeks.
and I, for one, was sceptical about the "couple of weeks", I'm afraid I still am.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is an XP-G a good match for the RRT-0, or for that matter, for the Jet 1 Pro?

While more efficient than the XR-E R2 (I think) and brighter, won't the XP-G R5 offer less throw, and isn't that one of the points of the RRT-0 and Jet 1 Pro?

Not that I wouldn't buy a Jet 1 Pro with a neutral tint XP-G and XP-G optimized reflector (more lumens and no rings!) but I think it might make quite a different light.

Which might be a good thing, or not.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say your probably right BigBluefish, I think the uniqueness of the RRT0 and Jet-I is the throw so even though I will buy the XP-G I bet I still carry the R2 model.

maskman

Newly Enlightened
Adding an XPG seems like good business sense if it's just an addition to and not a replacement for the R2 version. That way JetBeam could cover both sides of the fence so to speak. Making an XPG available for those who appreciate flood and continuing to offer R2 models for those who need throw. It would truly be a travesty if JetBeam were to handcuff themselves to the XPG exclusively concerning the RRT-0 or the Jet 1. Time will tell if they are wise enough to take advantage of appeasing both markets. I can't imagine them putting all their eggs in one basket by offering only XPG emmitters. IMHO that would be a sad day indeed. :popcorn:

Is an XP-G a good match for the RRT-0, or for that matter, for the Jet 1 Pro?

While more efficient than the XR-E R2 (I think) and brighter, won't the XP-G R5 offer less throw, and isn't that one of the points of the RRT-0 and Jet 1 Pro?

Not that I wouldn't buy a Jet 1 Pro with a neutral tint XP-G and XP-G optimized reflector (more lumens and no rings!) but I think it might make quite a different light.

Which might be a good thing, or not.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say your probably right BigBluefish, I think the uniqueness of the RRT0 and Jet-I is the throw so even though I will buy the XP-G I bet I still carry the R2 model.

I have the RRT-0 R2, and although the throw is nice, the beam is horrid. a smooth, clean beam is really important to me, and the RRT-0 has a big ring in its spill which i cant stand anymore. i love everything about the light from its selector ring, to its looks, feel and size. if only it was using a neutral XP-G, it would be absolutely perfect for me. since i perfer the flood. i dont have the best vision, so throw doesnt matter too much since i cant see that far away LOL:grin2:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the RRT-0 R2, and although the throw is nice, the beam is horrid. a smooth, clean beam is really important to me, and the RRT-0 has a big ring in its spill which i cant stand anymore. i love everything about the light from its selector ring, to its looks, feel and size. if only it was using a neutral XP-G, it would be absolutely perfect for me. since i perfer the flood. i dont have the best vision, so throw doesnt matter too much since i cant see that far away LOL:grin2:

Yep it has that ring even with a OP reflector. I'm down for a XPG version to as long as their is no donut/dimer area in the hotspot- I hate that as bad as ugly tint.

Dan FO

Enlightened
Let's not get too precious, you're not quite right about what you said yet. You actually said, almost a couple of weeks ago and I, for one, was sceptical about the "couple of weeks", I'm afraid I still am.

Ok, they are in stock and I ordered mine from goinggear.com

pobox1475

Enlightened
I highly recommend the Jet-1 v.3 and I would buy another if I were to lose it.
I have a fear it will actually happen to my new Jet I. The gap in the clip is so wide it will not even hold onto a pocket of thick jeans :shakehead. Bezel up carry leaves to much body protruding for my tastes.

I am a little bummed :( because or receiving a SMO warm instead of OP. The OP warm versions are not available. Tint however is ideal and more of a neutral than warm. The size and form factor are perfect for my EDC needs.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else get the XPG RRT0 yet? I just unpacked mine and been checking it out, first impressions not very good.

The tint is very cool when compared with the R2 model and the hotspot has a donut that looks very much like the Eagletac P20C2 MKII with smooth reflector. I wish manufactures would stop with the XPG and SMO reflectors if it is going to have a donut, you lose throw so their is really no benefit over the textured reflector.

The emitter is slightly off center but you really can't see it in the beam, their is a couple halo rings on one side in the spill area but I doubt I will see them when I take it outside later at dark.

Yes I should wait until dark when I try it outside before coming to a conclusion but I don't think it's going to change the very cool tint (tint lottery maybe it's just mine) or the hotspot with it's donut. I would like to hear others opinions when they get theirs but right now I would say wait for a textured reflector or just get the R2 model while you still can.

pobox1475

Enlightened
Is this gap only inconvenient when carrying bezel up?
Gap is too wide for bezel down carry. Up leaves too much body exposed for my tastes. Sent JetBeam an eMail after viewing images of a perfect clip on their site.

Last edited: