Just bought a Surefire E1L and it Came with KX1B New in Box

hcd615

Enlightened
I just went to REI. I purchased a Surefire E1L. When I got home I opened it and the head was a KX1B. I called Surefire and they said they knew they would be made but not sure when they would be out. They said retailers get items first because they don't like to compete directly with retailers on new products.

How can I load some photos to show you guys.

Serial numbers match box and all. Serial# A070462

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure I'm getting the point of your post (or was there a question?). I bought a NIB E1L from an eBay vendor two months ago and it also has the dual mode KX1B head. I'm pretty sure that is the head that's been on the E1L since 2008 or so.

Go to photobucket.com and set up an account, or flickr, or imagebucket. You can upload pics there, then copy/paste the links into your post here.

hcd615

Enlightened
No, I thought the KX1B was only on the E2L-AA and 3 / 85 lumens. Surefire has no knowledge about this.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's pretty cool - my E1L has a KX1 head (I just checked).

You might have just gotten lucky -or- it's a planned "upgrade".

I like the idea, but then again, I have to say I rather like the idea of the longer runtime with lower output.

gnlw

Newly Enlightened
I bought an E1L in March or April of this year, and it had the KX1B head. I checked with Surefire at that time, and they told me that the E1L was now being manufactured with the KX1B.

hcd615

Enlightened
Last edited by a moderator:

hcd615

Enlightened
The rep from Surefire called me this afternoon and confirmed that the KX1B was supposed to be on the E1L and it is 3 / 80 lumens.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be very surprised if the run-time on high hadn't decreased.

Which is why I'm sticking with the KX1 on my EDC. :twothumbs

hcd615

Enlightened
Surefire E1L or E1B

I have the new E1L with the KX1B head that is 3/80 lumens. I would like to get a E1B backup. The E1B @ 110 lumens is fine. I tried to find out when the new EB1 will be out and I can't seem to get an answer. I thought I would buy an E1B with a Z68 tail cap (would be able to tail stand). So do you guys think there is a big difference in form factor to make me buy a E1B as an edc or should I stick with the E1L / KX1B? For those who have one of these two lights, how do you edc the light each day, pocket, bag, etc? Thanks, Howard

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire E1L or E1B

I tried to find out when the new EB1 will be out and I can't seem to get an answer.

The EB1 is out and just now hitting the shelves in the retail channel.

See: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-(Beamshots-added)-Review-and-runtime-results and http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?332672-SureFire-EB1-Backup-200-Lumen-Flashlight

The E1B with a Z68 tailcap is also a great combo, I have that light, the EB1 clicky and an HDS Rotary sitting here on the table. I also have an E1 body with a Malkoff M61 in a VME head, it's a little nose heavy and only single mode compared to the other lights in my observation.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

You'll need to consider the mode sequence to make the decision. Outdoorsman models are low then high, whereas the Backup models are high then low.

If you would like a brighter light (at the expense of runtime), I would recommend the EB1. If you want low first, you can get the tactical model, and if you want high first, you can get the clicky model. It should be available within the coming weeks.

hcd615

Enlightened

So here is what I did. I have many, many flashlights and many Surefire's as all of you here do. So since I have the E1L with the KX1B head 3/80, I ordered a E1B today and a Z68 tail cap. I will have them tomorrow. I am not really into the whole runtime, lumen guru stuff, but I saw the 110 lumen E1B got GREAT reviews on here and YouTube (and tail stand with the Z68). I was trying to understand what people were saying here about the sudden drop off in lumens on the new EB1, but I really dont know. I figure if I want 200 lumens I have my LX2's, more lumens I have the Fury, More I have two M6LT's and the list goes on and on....

piang829

Newly Enlightened
phew, good thing i saw this link before i bought a E1L with a KX1 head. whats the run time with the KX1B head on the E1L? how much was it?

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa....put the brakes on! I just posted about finding a dealer selling the newG2Xpro but now I want that new KX1B based E1L!!! WHERE DO I GET ONE?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
phew, good thing i saw this link before i bought a E1L with a KX1 head. whats the run time with the KX1B head on the E1L? how much was it?

8.5 hours on high, 48 hours on low I believe.

Whoa....put the brakes on! I just posted about finding a dealer selling the newG2Xpro but now I want that new KX1B based E1L!!! WHERE DO I GET ONE?

I got mine from eBay, but none there currently. You might try B&H Photo -- they show that they are out of stock, but you may call to see when they expect another shipment. They have a pretty good price and shipping is only $3.99 for snail mail.

edit to add:

Found a link to the tailcap current draw for the E1L

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ntime-Anyone&p=2688860&viewfull=1#post2688860

348 - E1L Cree dual level, 45 lumen level
46 - E1L Cree dual level, low setting

So, if you have a 1400mAh battery, you're looking at about 4 hours on high, 30 hours on low.

Last edited:

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I have both the E2l AA with of course the KX1B head and have an older El1 with the KX1 head. To me they seem the exact same brightness. I have judged the old EL1 to have a high of 80 lumens. If it matters my KX1 head has a serial number starting with "B" but I think that means it is the two stage head.

tonkem

Enlightened
I have both the E2l AA with of course the KX1B head and have an older El1 with the KX1 head. To me they seem the exact same brightness. I have judged the old EL1 to have a high of 80 lumens. If it matters my KX1 head has a serial number starting with "B" but I think that means it is the two stage head.

I have both as well, the e2laa with kx1b and the e1l kx1, and only a very slight difference. I have 2 of the e1l's one with a green tint and the other a cool white, and besides the tint, it would be difficult to tell the difference between them and the kx1b