Just got back from bow hunting

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tossed numerous flashlights in the kit bag, but only a few actually got used at all. I had my Inova X0 (Tiros), X03 (Tiros), X5 White, X5 red, and AAA Bolt. Then I had a 2 AA MagLED Minimag a Mag 5 C Cell incad., an Ultrafire C3, Fenix L0PSE, and a Brinkman Headlamp.

Of those I took, the Minimag was on my belt out hunting, and the red X5 was in my pocket. The X5 was used for walking in and out of the woods, and the Minimag was used for about a half hour to track a deer after dark.

The Inova Bolt was used nightly to walk back and forth from the outhouse.

Those are the only lights that actually got used and they worked superbly for each task asked of them.

bow.jpg

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took an 8 point buck, smallish rack but a big bodied deer. Had some grilled that night over a nice fire of applewood. :thumbsup:

shanover

Newly Enlightened
all those high tech flashlights, with a primitive weapon, its nice to see someone else that uses a recurve instead of the latest and greatest compound bow

Bushman5

Enlightened
Thats a fine looking recurve Lee!! I got a ChekMate Kings Pawn 1 piece recurve, love it!!! :twothumbs

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took an 8 point buck, smallish rack but a big bodied deer. Had some grilled that night over a nice fire of applewood. :thumbsup:

I'm sitting here with a pint of Guiness thinking how tasty that sounds.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you gentlemen.

CM, it was indeed tasty, an excellant meal indeed, the pint of Guiness sounds good too, been too long since I had a nice pint.

Bushman, that is a nice bow you have there also, a fine and worthy bow to shoot :). I have several bear one piece recurves also :). One a very old Grizzly signed by Fred Bear when I bought it at his factory in Grayling many years ago.

Shanover, I have shot recurve for about 44 years now, I couldnever change. I did buy a compound about 15 years ago now to try. I shot it once and gave it to my wifes brother. I do not beleive shooters of compounds are archers personally, they are simply shooters of arrows. There is little of the skill, dedication, and discipline of practice a true archer has in the shooting of such technological weapons. And my wife and father both shoot them so I have nothing really against them. Simply not for myself.

shanover

Newly Enlightened
Thank you gentlemen.

Shanover, I have shot recurve for about 44 years now, I couldnever change. I did buy a compound about 15 years ago now to try. I shot it once and gave it to my wifes brother. I do not beleive shooters of compounds are archers personally, they are simply shooters of arrows. There is little of the skill, dedication, and discipline of practice a true archer has in the shooting of such technological weapons. And my wife and father both shoot them so I have nothing really against them. Simply not for myself.

I agree, I started on a recurve when I was about ten, thirty eight years ago now... tried a compound for a few years in my late twenties, it became like shooting a rifle, put it down for a year and still be able to put all the arrows in a quarter... not really any skill. I have been much happier since I sold the compound to my brother and went back to a recurve.

Babo

Newly Enlightened
I agree, I started on a recurve when I was about ten, thirty eight years ago now... tried a compound for a few years in my late twenties, it became like shooting a rifle, put it down for a year and still be able to put all the arrows in a quarter... not really any skill. I have been much happier since I sold the compound to my brother and went back to a recurve.

Glad to hear traditional archery is practiced by some on this forum.
I feel the same about muzzle loaders. I shoot a flintlock and percussion sidelock.
No inline or scope for me.
In fact, the most hi-tech thing I carry in the woods is probably my HDS EDC.

Last year, I found blue and red colored plastic bottle caps to snap over the lens. Used the red going to my tree stand before first light. Had the blue cap for blood trail tracking, but didn't need it. My deer fell where hit.