Just got my P2D, very quick comments

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadgetnerd wrote: "Hey VT, your "system" pic is not strictly 100% correct.
The heads are common between the three lights, but the P2D tailcap won't fit the LxD properly and vice versa.
The beamshots are spot on though
smile.gif
"

Yes it is - that is why there are the two different tailcaps shown in the Photo ...

please go read

Fenix P2Dce Comparison Review
again.....

There is a BIG EDIT to ADD CORRECTION about the tailcap fitting -
I posted that BEFORE I posted here.

You are correct about the tailcaps -
but I am sorry to disappoint you about my photo being wrong.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my test sample P2D today and I think Fenix may have upgraded the switches in these lights, it feels much better than the switch in any other Fenix I've tested.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
No sweat VT, I wasn't having a go at you, and I appreciate all the work you do with your comparison reviews.

Maybe I'm going crazy but when I posted I could have swore the pic had a common head and common tailcap. Time to take more medication and lie down....

UnknownVT said:
gadgetnerd wrote: "Hey VT, your "system" pic is not strictly 100% correct.
The heads are common between the three lights, but the P2D tailcap won't fit the LxD properly and vice versa.
The beamshots are spot on though
smile.gif
"

Yes it is - that is why there are the two different tailcaps shown in the Photo ...

please go read

Fenix P2Dce Comparison Review
again.....

There is a BIG EDIT to ADD CORRECTION about the tailcap fitting -
I posted that BEFORE I posted here.

You are correct about the tailcaps -
but I am sorry to disappoint you about my photo being wrong.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
I got my test sample P2D today and I think Fenix may have upgraded the switches in these lights, it feels much better than the switch in any other Fenix I've tested.

That's good news. I thought my L1DCE switch didn't feel quite as solid as the switch in my original groupbuy L1P. It works perfectly but never had as much of a click to it.

Oh....and I can't wait for your review!!! :rock:

luminari

Newly Enlightened
gunga said:
Do the LiFEPO4s fit?!

I wanna know, too!

I have a P2D on its way, but no LiFEPO4s to test it with.

I do have a protected 3.0v RCR132a to try it with; hopefully the diameter of the LiFEPO4 is similar.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW's LiFEPO4's fit but you have to shake the light to get them to slide out. AW's 3v regulated and the new High Current RCR123's both fit but they're very snug and have to be pushed out from the other end. If you peel off the shiny plastic label they should fit better and just shake out of the body like the LiFEPO4 cells do.

LGCubana

Enlightened
cave dave said:
Does a typical RCR LiIon fit?
I wrote this in another thread
LGCubana said:
Just received my P2D.

On a freshly charged(last week) 3.0v (3.96v)Tenergy, all modes work. Its' hard to discern between Low & Medium. But you can tell the difference among Low, High & Turbo.

I tried 2 AW, 3.7v. One was a little tight to slide in, the other one had better fitment. Neither had a fresh charge. I only tested the unit that read 4.0v. Low, Med & High looked the same; Turbo was brighter.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadgetnerd wrote: "No sweat VT, I wasn't having a go at you, and I appreciate all the work you do with your comparison reviews.

Maybe I'm going crazy but when I posted I could have swore the pic had a common head and common tailcap. Time to take more medication and lie down...."

hmmmm.... I did indeed post a common tailcap photo in the Fenix P2Dce Comparison Review thread - before I made that self-correction -
but I thought I had already corrected that, and the photo before I posted here - maybe not ....

sorry if I've managed to confuse you -

I think I am now confusing myself ....
ohgeez.gif

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
No worries, maybe you need some medication and a lie down too :)

UnknownVT said:
gadgetnerd wrote: "No sweat VT, I wasn't having a go at you, and I appreciate all the work you do with your comparison reviews.

Maybe I'm going crazy but when I posted I could have swore the pic had a common head and common tailcap. Time to take more medication and lie down...."

hmmmm.... I did indeed post a common tailcap photo in the Fenix P2Dce Comparison Review thread - before I made that self-correction -
but I thought I had already corrected that, and the photo before I posted here - maybe not ....

sorry if I've managed to confuse you -

I think I am now confusing myself ....
ohgeez.gif

procure

Newly Enlightened
who said:
Just got my P2D, very quick comments before going to work
The good:
It is very small, barely longer than the head and tail put together, but we knew that from the specs. Works exactly as the L1D does. All modes with primaries, only turbo, strobe and SOS with rechargeable.
The not so good:
The tail cap is not the same as in the L1D/L2D. The thread is the same, but the outer body is bigger. For example: P2D tail on L1D is sloppy. L1D tail on P2D body will not cover the O-ring.
Dust in the reflector.Yellow and ringy beam. My L1D is much better.

My P2D also has a yellow-ish beam, when compared to my P1D CE. I'm thinking about returning it. I'd consider exchanging it in the hopes of getting one with a better tint, but I don't even know if they exist. Has anyone gotten one with a white beam?

For reference, see the contrast in the pics in this review (the beamshots are similar to mine):

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161606

Even the one reviewed on flashlightreviews.com is sorta yellow.

who

Newly Enlightened
procure said:
My P2D also has a yellow-ish beam, when compared to my P1D CE. I'm thinking about returning it. I'd consider exchanging it in the hopes of getting one with a better tint, but I don't even know if they exist. Has anyone gotten one with a white beam?
They do exist, but good luck finding one. Out of 6 Fenix Cree lights that I bought in the last 2-3 months, only one has a white and semi smooth beam, the rest are ringy, yellowish, and LEDs are off centered. Fenix-Store.com and 4sevens provide great services, and I am not complaining about them. However I believe Fenix the company could do a much better job. All of my cheap DX Cree lights (C2, U2, EdwardYJ,…) have very white and smooth beams, LEDs are centered.

I have three P3D being shipped to me, and should be here by Wednesday. If only one of them has a smooth OR white beam, I consider myself lucky.

I do know that in real life, a yellowish /ringy beam is not a problem. It just that Fenix could have raised the bar but chose not to.

paulsl

Enlightened
I just got my 2 P2D's. One is going back and the other is fine. Some have used it with the high current AW 3.7V R123. I've posed the question to Chow but are these batteries really OK to be used permanently and not for a moment?

Thx.

procure

Newly Enlightened
who said:
They do exist, but good luck finding one. Out of 6 Fenix Cree lights that I bought in the last 2-3 months, only one has a white and semi smooth beam, the rest are ringy, yellowish, and LEDs are off centered. Fenix-Store.com and 4sevens provide great services, and I am not complaining about them. However I believe Fenix the company could do a much better job. All of my cheap DX Cree lights (C2, U2, EdwardYJ,…) have very white and smooth beams, LEDs are centered.

I have three P3D being shipped to me, and should be here by Wednesday. If only one of them has a smooth OR white beam, I consider myself lucky.

I do know that in real life, a yellowish /ringy beam is not a problem. It just that Fenix could have raised the bar but chose not to.

I also have a P3D coming... hopefully it will have a better tint. If not, they may both be going back. I prefer the P2D/P3D interface, but my P1D has such a better beam color. Maybe I just got lucky?