Just got the Dorcy 1 watt 3AAA from Target

idleprocess

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Robocop said:
I have taken one apart to play with and the star has 2 sets of numbers on the back.I am not sure what exactly these mean but I feel that it is the bin coding.The top numbers are BW02 and the bottom ones read QWAK...

[/ QUOTE ]

Q is the flux (brightness)
WA is the tint
K is the Vf

Q is 30.6 lumens (lm) - 39.8 lm. The best 1-W emitters are R-flux, and they're not easy to locate.

WA is one of the two white-neutral tints, and is frequntly seen as the "sweet spot."

K is 3.51V to 3.75V - average Vf for a white/blue LED.

My simplified binning guide, updated today.

Crux

Newly Enlightened
This light direct drives the Lux at about 600mA+ with fresh stock alkalines. BUT, there is no heat sinking for the Lux Star. The heat will degrade light output if left to cook for long. See this post: Dorcy 1W post
Perhaps shoving some aluminum foil between edge of the Star holder will help conduct some heat to the case. I have not yet tried this, I am trying to figure a way to dissipate the heat and/or regulate the current to 350mA.

Oh, there is no way to change the flash rate AFAIK, the only parts on the board are the control IC, pass transistor and 47K resistor.

Has anyone modded this gem yet?

jbroker83

Enlightened
I was at the local Sears and found this light for 19 bucks! Didn't know a thing about it, but as any good flashaholic would, decided my "anything new under 30 bucks" rule would apply. My light is pretty bright and it has nice throw and I can live with the rings. I have a CMG Reactor with lithiums, a Streamlight Luxeon Tasklight, an INOVA X03, and a Surefire L4. The dorcy will fit right in my rotation. Inital backyard tests would have to rank the Dorcy as brighter and more useable than both the Tasklight and the CMG. Wonder how many lumens this thing is pushing?
Do you think it's okay to use Lithiums in this light?

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Idleprocess thank you for the breakdown on those numbers.All things considered I guess this was a pretty good emitter for the cost.Has anyone else examined their star to see if the bin codes are consistent with the QWAK that is inside mine?
I have played with 3 lithium cells inside this light and it may be my imagination but it is a little brighter.I have not ran it for more than maybe a minute at a time so I have not noticed any heat related problems as of yet.I like the battery set up as I actually need a light to use up my growing pile of batteries.Using 3 AAAs at a time is pretty good for this and the cylinder shaped adapter is a very cool idea.This is the first light I have had that uses this type of battery set up and I kind of like it.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2. Currently running Panasonic and Rayovac Nimh's for a week with no problems yet. Not much brighter with freshly charged cells and runtime about the same as alkalines.
HTH

Heabob

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Have been lurking about for awhile (1st post)
Great Information Found Here, Thanks To All...
It will take me 10 yrs to read it all.

I too just got a 1W Dorcey (My first LED)
Mine has good white/blue color. Lights up my back garden @ 100' (enough to see a varmint) Useable light to 50'.
Stobe feature sucks#$%^&*
I'm hooked now... Just ordered a Nuwai QIII, Longbow Micra,
and Pelican M6 LED. (I got it bad)
Also want a Inova T2, maybe better wait till wife cools off.

Plan to use one for mounting on my .22 Talon SS Airgun for
night hunting.

Latest posts