kayak folks look here please/ now pics!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: kayak folks look here please

I think you'd be surprised how much 8 extra feet helps. Id like a nice sea kayak, but I'm not really up to anything all that crazy anymore, for what I do it is pretty well suited. But I'd recommend trying one before you decide you want to spend the money. Some of the shops do demos. The best time to buy is in the fall when it starts getting cold. You might be able to trade in your 6 footer towards a bigger boat.
awesume i think mine was 1000 new .i dont care how they look so used will be cool for me or a demo but i think i need to stay under 12 feet due to my back porch isnt big the 16 foot canoe was to big for it for sure

raggie33

*the raggedier*

put it up on craigs list im geting good at it butit dont make since to have a stunt type kayak for a lake im going to trade it for a nice flat water kayak

raggie33

*the raggedier*

what kind of kayak is this?is it good?clcik pic to make it bigger

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

^^looks like the one i used last summer, i liked it, can't complain. thou getting in and out was a pain, (i,m 6'4" 230lb) but other than that, imo not bad at all.
1 lesson i,ve learned, always wear a hat that covers ears, and a long sleeve shirt, sunburn hurts.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Looks like a good set-up for rolling down to the lake. Is that part of an old lawn mower?

Geoff

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i bought the wheels from a lawnmower shop i dont drive and am way to small to crarry anything lol

raggie33

*the raggedier*

do kayaks sink more to the point will the kayak i pictured above sink if i flip it ?it dont have air bags

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Many have a series of bulkheads that trap air, preventing the kayak from sinking. Look at the bulkhead in the front of the cockpit, there's a good chance there will be a small "lid" there. It's not really so much for storage as it is for buoyancy. Although on some boats with a forward hatch the space serves a dual role. So as long as you don't flip the boat and open all the hatches you'll be ok. I can be a bit tricky getting back into a capsized yak though. A bailing pump is also a must. Keep it secured in the deck straps.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

hey also once i figure out how to paddle it will it be easier then my old 16 foot canoe?

Probably not for a longer kayak and certainly not for the short one.
The back and forth motion can be minimized but not eliminated with a kayak if you learn to paddle correctly. There are web sitess that show you how.
The canoe can essentially eliminate teh problem with a J stroke.
A long kayak or canoe will have less wobble and teh extra mass will mean you can slow down your paddling and let it glide once in a while.
Inertia is your friend once things get going.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

ok what will be the best kayak for me on a lake?is the one above ok for it?i do ok but sometimes it dont respond to my paddleing and other times it responds right away tonight i was going in and out of the poles that hold up the bridge be near me

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

ok what will be the best kayak for me on a lake?is the one above ok for it?i do ok but sometimes it dont respond to my paddleing and other times it responds right away tonight i was going in and out of the poles that hold up the bridge be near me

Depends on what you want to do with it. I owned the Cobra Fish and Dive for diving and it was great for that. A bit huge for a kayak but keeping up with slimmer ones was not a lot of extra work.
Try this Cobra page to get an idea of what is available in a sit on top.
Almost all brands will have similar product. There are also a few inflatable SOT's that are very rigid.
If you are near a lake thre well may be a store that sells kayaks. Most will have classes and try-outs during the summer.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Raggie,
As you probably already know, there are all kinds of great gear bags in all sizes that are designed to float and keep the water out. Most have a roll up opening that makes the seal. These bags, if stored below deck with air in them can provide you with additional buoyancy and displace any water that might otherwise get into the area. Do you have a spray skirt for the boat?

raggie33

*the raggedier*

no spray skirt yet .im going slow i started with a canoe fixed it up and traded it for a white water kayak.then traded it for this kayak which im fixing up and will trade i hope for a kayak with a skirt and etc etc but then again i may just keep it and make a skirt

raggie33

*the raggedier*

o i do have a air bag in it now but i always wonder if it will float with out it.the white water kayak i tyied to get it to sink to see if it will sink a course i did this in like 2 feet a water so i could get it out if it did it didnt sink made me feel secure

raggie33

*the raggedier*
post ya kayak pics

well i am jealous of the bike pic thread.this is my kayak it aint fancy but it is mine

Patriot

Flashaholic
Re: post ya kayak pics

How does it track compared to the other one you were using?

raggie33

*the raggedier*

its the same kayak unless ya meant my white water kayak that was 7 feet or something?i think a lot of my problems is the heavy winds on lanier and i dont realy know how to paddle i watched uyube vids but i have to see it in person i think

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I'll play (no kayaks but to those who don't know the difference.....)

SurfSki:

DSC_0174.jpg

Wave Ski (essentially a sit on top sea kayak):

DSC_0063.jpg

I have two surfskis and below is a shot of me and my brother that my wife got from the beach with a telephoto lens. She was shooting the spinner dolphin that jumped but we happened to be in the frame.

DSC_0052.jpg

My brother got the shot of me below as a whale was passing by close on the port side.

Don-whale-surface.jpg