Keeppower Protection Circuit Issue

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct. But that is 3.2v each cell measured without sag. Why it doesn't flicker and have a long taper on primaries? I do not know.

Maybe one of the 2 cells already had the protection circuit kick in, so it's actual only running on one cell?
No. They're in series. If one cell has tripped, it won't work at all

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
No no we got an answer and we're done here. I beg you stop the madness!!!😂😂😂😂
I'm sorry! But it doesn't make any sense. That's not an answer😢😢😢😢😢
I think I was incorrect earlier. I think Gene meant below 3.2v total will flicker. Which that does make sense. But two cells in series never get to 1.6v. Unless they're extremely discharged. So that isn't it. I think it's just time to retire those problematic cells.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes yes that's the answer toss them and don't look back👍

If that makes the whole problem disappear - absolutely!!

I haven't followed this thread, but maybe high cell internal resistance going on, but I assume OP doesn't have any way to measure that (and I'm not about to read this whole thread to verify that;-), so that'll remain very raw speculation.

md17

Enlightened
If that makes the whole problem disappear - absolutely!!

I haven't followed this thread, but maybe high cell internal resistance going on, but I assume OP doesn't have any way to measure that (and I'm not about to read this whole thread to verify that;-), so that'll remain very raw speculation.
I don't know how this thread got so big, but a forum is for talking I guess…but the ir measured on the charger was all less than 150 and the cells are brand new.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how this thread got so big, but a forum is for talking I guess…but the ir measured on the charger was all less than 150 and the cells are brand new.

Hey I was thinking you may want to keep those cells for an emergency. There's a few Open-Border members around here that may need those for their vibrators!

md17

Enlightened
You can hate me all you want, but this is an issue again with another fresh set of Keeppower 2300 mah 18500 cells. Even freshly charged, after the light runs for a couple minutes and heats up a little bit, the slightest tap cuts the light off. 3rd set of the same model of cells.

md17

Enlightened
I know this is a malkoff setup. Have you tried contacting gene and seeing what he says about it?
Yes. However, I have already identified that it's 1 particular cell in this instance. I have tried multiple different heads, lights engines, bodies and tail caps. This is the 5th cell faulty cell. I read somewhere on here that someone else had an issue with the keeppower cells. I really think they sent out a large batch of bad cells of this particular model. Sticking with the 2000mah model.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Yes. However, I have already identified that it's 1 particular cell in this instance. I have tried multiple different heads, lights engines, bodies and tail caps. This is the 5th cell faulty cell. I read somewhere on here that someone else had an issue with the keeppower cells. I really think they sent out a large batch of bad cells of this particular model. Sticking with the 2000mah model.

Okay awesome. Im glad you were able to identify the issue. I received some keeppower 17500s in the mail here recently, and i was just curious what the issue was.

md17

Enlightened
I have multiple different models of Keeppower cells and the only problematic model has been the P1850C3. 18500

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is killing me!!! You're killing me SMALLS!

@md17 Does your light have the Malkoff hi-low ring in the head? If so, is it tight and clean?

I will say, I had two 18500's in my Olight M30 at one point. I dropped it on the concrete and the protection circuit slammed shut on one of the batts and stopped working. There was no flickering. That being said, I appreciate you sharing all the detail about these cells! Sometimes some sets of hardware yields unpredictable results. You got me paranoid now because my bedside bored Surefire M3 currently has two 18500's behind an XHP50.2 on a 1.2A driver.

md17

Enlightened
This thread is killing me!!! You're killing me SMALLS!

@md17 Does your light have the Malkoff hi-low ring in the head? If so, is it tight and clean?

I will say, I had two 18500's in my Olight M30 at one point. I dropped it on the concrete and the protection circuit slammed shut on one of the batts and stopped working. There was no flickering. That being said, I appreciate you sharing all the detail about these cells! Sometimes some sets of hardware yields unpredictable results. You got me paranoid now because my bedside bored Surefire M3 currently has two 18500's behind an XHP50.2 on a 1.2A driver.

Everything is clean as a whistle. I've even isolated it to one cell in a single cell light body. Just bought some Panasonic protected 18500 cells from Battery junction and I'm going to try those.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You can hate me all you want, but this is an issue again with another fresh set of Keeppower 2300 mah 18500 cells. Even freshly charged, after the light runs for a couple minutes and heats up a little bit, the slightest tap cuts the light off. 3rd set of the same model of cells.
Something's not right.
At this point, I suspect it's not the batteries that are the issue; but the light itself.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Mine will do this if I use 123 cells. There a little too short. I'm telling you grab that positive spring and stretch it out. I mean make it twice the length it is now.

md17

Enlightened
It's every light I have. It's 100% isolated to this cell.
Another theory I have is that the small impact causes a voltage jump initiating the protection circuit to kick in. Like a pre cordial thump. Thumping a persons chest while they're in cardiac arrest is a mechanical energy, which is converted into electrical energy.

But the amount of force that is causing this issue is so minimal and unacceptable for practical use. And to continue beating a dead horse, this is the 5th cell of this model that it's happened to.

Springs are stretched, battery bumpers are installed.

Only reason I brought this back up is because I saw someone else post with a similar issue, but can't find the post again.