Kel-tec CL43 -- interesting new light

HeyGuysWatchThis

Newly Enlightened
I have this gun. It's a PF-9. It's small, light weight, 9mm, and kicks like a snubnosed .357 magnum (I have one of those too - S&W.) I bet the gun would come close to flying out of most people's hand if they held it with this light as shown above. If it didn't fly out of your hand then I bet at least accuracy would be compromised quite I bit.....just my opionion though.

This is the correct answer. These guns are tough enough to hang onto in the usual fashion, and adding a light like this will make them impossible to effectively shoot.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used a handgun once, so my experience is limited. Still... I do remember how important it is to use a TWO HANDED grip for most purposes, and that the handle was quite perfect for either a one- or two-handed grip. Adding a bloblight to this handle seems like a compromise in ergonomics and control of aim. Am I the only one who wouldn't want more than one trigger to think about in an emergency situation? Seems like a solution stomping around for a problem to sit on.

I couldnt help but notice both of ^those "issues" as well!!

But I also wonder if the light is hard mounted to the pistol there. In one picture it looks like its just slid under a clip of some sort.

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
No way would I use this light with a gun. I'd say use a gun mounted light. This way both hands are where they need to be.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im glad to see another US manufaturer market weapon lights, but I dont like this design. I agree with most of the other comments about accidental firing and inaccuracy.

passive101

Enlightened
I don't need this light, but my female friend who is 5,1 shoots her pf9 one handed without issues. Rule of thumb for these smaller guns is the smaller the hand (within reason) is more fingers on the grip. This is interesting, but not our style.

you could easily 2 hand grip this setup, it would simply be a different grip.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could easily 2 hand grip this setup, it would simply be a different grip.

Ah, my mistake was assuming that the picture showed its intended use. I stand by the comment that "Having two triggers, one that lights and one that shoots holes in things, is a bad idea for safety."

Illum

Flashaholic
I have this gun. It's a PF-9. It's small, light weight, 9mm, and kicks like a snubnosed .357 magnum (I have one of those too - S&W.) I bet the gun would come close to flying out of most people's hand if they held it with this light as shown above. If it didn't fly out of your hand then I bet at least accuracy would be compromised quite I bit.....just my opionion though.

Seconded, my guess is that this shot was done as such for marketing reasons, a normal shooter would have the other hand over the light's body, blocking out its view. Heres one that looks more practical [P-11 here]
2njhcld.jpg

I can't shoot my PF9 single handed, even with gloves.

PitchEngine said:
The CL-43 is CNC machined from extruded 6061 aluminum. The light operates via a rearward-click button located midpoint of the flashlight with both constant and momentary-on capabilities.

The exterior features our patented nonslip pattern common with our firearms. Surfaces are either hard-coat anodized or Cerakoted™. Five colors are available:
Tactical: Black, OD green and Desert tan.
Safety: Orange and yellow.

Unique features of the CL-43 include:
- Superior ergonomics due to the forward facing push button switch.
- Small size. Can be enclosed by one hand and operated in parallel with a handgun.
- Extreme light power. 420 lumens and an optimum beam angle.

The CL-43 operates on three CR123 Lithium batteries and features Cree XP-G LED.
Its weight with batteries is 107 g (3.8oz), and size is 24x38x102 mm (.94x1.5x4"). (Height x width x length).

The switch is operated like the trigger on a gun, pointing the light as an extension of your arm. Compared to a light mounted to a pistol, the CL-43 has much superior range, and also keeps the ability to hold the light off the line of sight to conceal your position.

The small size of the CL-43 makes it possible to hold and operate parallel with a handgun without impairing a conventional two handed hold. If required, and with some training, the light can be operated one-handed together with the gun.

With the addition of a separate attachment, the CL-43 can also be mounted to a MIL-Spec Picatinny. An integrated belt clip and lanyard ring add to the versatility of the system. With a separate adaptor, standard AA batteries can be utilized, however, at an increase in length of the system.

The powerful CL-420 LED Module is also used in our CL-42 conventional flashlight and the KSG Tactical Shotgun.

CL-43 MSRP: $140.00
CL-42 MSRP: $ 80.00

As with all KEL-TEC products the CL-43 is designed, developed and manufactured in the United States. Patents Pending.

To learn more about Kel-Tec CNC, visit www.keltecweapons.com. For any further questions or requests, please contact Monica Arnold, PR Director for Blue August at [email protected].

Also to note, the head is modular and uses the LM3405, they've also came up with a picatinny mounted light for the RFB that uses the same head, as well as the CL-42.

do9vls.jpg

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
For myself at least, it would mess up my recoil bounce aim...as my leverage would be different with that on the side...so, for me, I would not want it there.

I also like the option to move the light away from the weapon...as the light itself becomes a return aimpoint.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two triggers... One for the middle finger and one for the index finger? Lol, that is just a pills of law suits waiting to happen, very bad design... " Your Honor, I just meant to shine the light on the subject, it was the manufacturers fault!"
Just what we need...

Hankscot

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys! This is my first post so I hope I don't screw it up... I was at the NRA show on Saturday and while at the kel-tec booth, I was given one of these lights. It was pretty cool to get it from them in this way. I'm a police officer and have worked two night shifts since I got it and have been carrying it as a back up to my malkoff md-2. I have been impressed by how comfortably it rides in my left leg pocket... But most of all the output this thing has. I'm the firearms instructor for my department and I'm gonna take it shooting very soon and will give a range report. I'm aware that sympathetic trigger response is a concern with this light, but the way I've been using this light in a Surefire-Rogers style grip and method, I think will produce nice results on the range. I will keep y'all posted

Shooter21

Enlightened
Hey guys! This is my first post so I hope I don't screw it up... I was at the NRA show on Saturday and while at the kel-tec booth, I was given one of these lights. It was pretty cool to get it from them in this way. I'm a police officer and have worked two night shifts since I got it and have been carrying it as a back up to my malkoff md-2. I have been impressed by how comfortably it rides in my left leg pocket... But most of all the output this thing has. I'm the firearms instructor for my department and I'm gonna take it shooting very soon and will give a range report. I'm aware that sympathetic trigger response is a concern with this light, but the way I've been using this light in a Surefire-Rogers style grip and method, I think will produce nice results on the range. I will keep y'all posted
I'd like a Beam shot to see the beam profile. thanks

Hankscot

Newly Enlightened
Lets see if this works. The first photo is of my E1B (which is what the CL-43 has replaced as my backup flashlight)
5_zps9f8293d8.jpg.html

The next one is of the CL-43
5_zps9f8293d8.jpg.html

Hope this worked. If not I will try again. Got some more pics to upload as well.

Shooter21

Enlightened
Lets see if this works. The first photo is of my E1B (which is what the CL-43 has replaced as my backup flashlight)
5_zps9f8293d8.jpg.html

The next one is of the CL-43
5_zps9f8293d8.jpg.html

Hope this worked. If not I will try again. Got some more pics to upload as well.
try using Photobucket to post your pics.

Hankscot

Newly Enlightened
Sorry bout not being able to get those photos to work. I will try again using photobucket like suggested. I've been carrying this light on duty since I first posted and have been very pleased with its size and power. For something as small as it is it can throw some light pretty far. I finally got to shoot with it and found it to be functional when using a Surefire-Rogers grip. It smokes my Z2s in this application, although the Z2 is a better general purpose light. My one concern with this light is that it heats up really quickly... I don't know if this will cause damage to the LED long term. As far as availability, my partner ordered one off of Kel-Tec's website and received it quickly. He's been carrying it as his primary light on duty... As much as I like this light, I don't think I'd carry it as a primary light.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
First, some general comments on shooting a handgun with a light.

Shooting with a light is essentially a one-handed technique, regardless of the technique used. If using the Rogers/Surefire technique, Harries technique, or anything else that attempts to use the flashlight hand as a support hand, use only light pressure on the gun hand by the support hand. Light pressure will help stabilize the gun hand. However, more pressure than this will create more errors in trigger squeeze than it solves.

When using a handheld light, I have come to prefer either a neck index indoors or the old FBI technique outdoors. Coming around a corner, I often prefer my gun and head high, and light low, or if my gun and head are low, the light is high. This way, I am using the same 1-hand shooting techniques I have practiced in daylight, while hopefully drawing fire away from my head by having the light in a different spot. When coming around a weak side corner, this is where I believe the Surefire Z-series lights really shine, and where this new Kel-Tec light could also shine. It is a bit awkward to come around a weak side corner with my head/gun high and light low with the light held in my fist with the tailcap switch by my thumb. Changing the grip to that of the Z-series or this new Kel-Tec light solves the problem.

If using a gun-mounted light, using a toggle switch with the weak hand thumb is safest. Although the sympathetic movement issue is real, and there has been a shooting using a middle-finger pressure pad switch with a handgun-mounted light, the use of the middle-finger pressure pad might actually be safer than trying to use the trigger finger to do more than just running the trigger, such as activating the light. Also, keep in mind that there have been many, many successes with gun-mounted lights by people of varying levels of training as compared to the number of accidental shootings.

The basic rules of gun safety still apply if using a gun-mounted light, and the muzzle should never be pointed at anything you are not willing to destroy. Depending on where you are searching and under what circumstances, a handheld light may be more appropriate. If trying to illuminate something using a gun-mounted light, it may often be best to illuminate it with the edge of the beam, keeping the muzzle in a safe direction, rather than pointing the gun at someone you might not want to shoot.

Turning to the Kel-Tec light:

This could potentially be a good light that is ruined by some dumb advertising.

Comments made above regarding the lack of wisdom of trying to use the Kel-Tec light and a handgun in one hand are entirely correct. Doing so would:

1) Make aiming and trigger squeeze more difficult.
2) Create sympathetic motion issues as described in earlier posts,
3) Cause difficulties in controlling recoil, possibly even inducing malfunctions in the gun,
4) Cause the muzzle to be pointed at anything being illuminated, and
5) Create a weak grip on the gun during a struggle to retain the gun.

Using this light in a 2-hand hold solves a lot of these problems. If you need to illuminate something you do not want to point your gun at, just separate your hands. Using the weak hand to run the light allows a normal grip with the strong hand.

nEPiC3do

Newly Enlightened
I have the CL-42 i think it is as my EDC used alot at work and love the size and quality, i think its better made than their guns!

Latest posts