key chain vs. cell phone

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any true flashaholic should appreciate light no matter from what source ;)

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
IMO, one does not need a particular reason for using the flashlight as a lighting tool and the phone as a communications device when he/she has both at his/her disposal.

I tend to agree with you, but my wife ... not so much.

But now that I'm armed with lots of good reasons to have one, I have bought a Mag Solitaire.

:)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe , but a phone does come in handy for keeping the boss quiet :D....no key chain light for her!
The other type of boss will prefer keychain. At work, if the boss see me with my nose stuck in my phone, looking for that light app. It will look like im face-snapping or something... Thats bad. If he sees me waving around with a flashlight in my hand, no problem. That will keep the boss quiet :)

Bucur

Enlightened
I tend to agree with you, but my wife ... not so much.

But now that I'm armed with lots of good reasons to have one, I have bought a Mag Solitaire.

:)

Congrats on your new light. Enjoy it!

My wife was also using her phone as a light ... until I offered her a key chain light! She is very happy now. She says how much better her key chain light is than her phone when it comes to illumination.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Depends what phone you've got.

I don't like the tint of my windows phone LED. It also requires me to unlock the phone then press the torch app. Too much faffing for brief illumination.

As others mention, my phone only has 1 brightness setting (2 if you count the screen and the photo LED separately) whereas whatever I'm carrying often has 3+ modes.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I think the small, flat USB lights, like the Tube or Fenix UC01, are the perfect balance of brightness and convenience. I try to conserve my phone battery as best as I can but like everyone out there it gets low occasionally and I don't always want to drain the battery via the flashlight.

Also, phones these days are wide and sometimes awkward to hold one handed while you are trying to achieve a utility type task and I certainly don't want to drop it or damage it in any way if I'm working with it.

Next, the phone isn't an instant source of light. I have to turn the screen on, browse my apps and turn it on. Sure you can have the app on your home screen but still, you have to turn it on and still click - a smaller dedicated light is just easier.

A single button light like mentioned above its just a click or two and I have ample light. Being that they are generally on my keychain I can use my carabiner clip and fashion it as an impromptu lantern if needed as well.

Overall for me these lights are just a quicker alternative so I don't have to fumble with my phone.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends what phone you've got.

I don't like the tint of my windows phone LED. It also requires me to unlock the phone then press the torch app. Too much faffing for brief illumination.

As others mention, my phone only has 1 brightness setting (2 if you count the screen and the photo LED separately) whereas whatever I'm carrying often has 3+ modes.

I just want to know what "faffing" means?

Also my phone and lights are just tools and each does the secondary function about as well as any non dedicated tool for me.
That is how much I like my phone as a light!

pondwater

Newly Enlightened
for me it depend on the situation. most times i use my phone for quick light ups for the quikness it offers. i have a moto so its chop chop for light on or off. but unfortanly the phone does not work so well when need your head right behind the light source so key chain wins there

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Galaxy S7 actually has a nice neutral flood, it's a bit warmer than my ZL 603w, and the Samsung side swipe screen shortcut is pretty convenient, has five light levels worth 1 being roughly comparable to the lowest M2 of the ZL 603w, and level 5 is roughly equivalent to the lowest H2.
I rarely use it but it's Actually a pretty nice spare light, especially considering that I don't carry a pure flood flashlight around.
Because of this thread I'm going to be more likely to remember to make use of it when a flood is more appropriate, instead of automatically going to the clipped H600w in my pocket, or my little Ti3 necklight.
S7Edge is technically waterproof for 1 meter and 30 min and the light doesn't seem to heat up on its highest level, good heat sinking -I think there are little heat pipes in there actually. If anything the battery seems to drop slower with the led on and the screen off than I'm used to when using it regularly with the screen on.

Last edited:

Bucur

Enlightened
Late to the party, but also: my keychain flashlight doesn't want access to my phone, and is *highly* unlikely to be transmitting my information to third parties for resell.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...app-developer-settles-ftc-charges-it-deceived
http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/flashlight.asp

Better late than never! This type of "behaviour" is very typical of the portable "smart" devices that are somehow called phones. They do zillion things other than phone calls and what they do has very little to do with what people would normally want a phone to do. In fact, they do not have flashlight apps because smart people want to illuminate things with a phone. They have these apps because somebody is smart enough to enable people to illuminate things with a phone. Very smart, indeed.

zulumoose

Newly Enlightened
I carry an Olight 13E EOS on my keychain, and it is in a different league to cell phone flashlights.

It is about the size of an AA battery, lights up a walkway at night enough for a group of people all around you to be appreciative, can be held in the mouth leaving both hands free, and you don't have to worry about dropping it and cracking the screen, using up your cell battery, finding it awkward to use searching under furniture for dropped things, etc,etc,etc.

You can also reach for it and turn it on instinctively with one hand without taking your eyes off whatever it is you are trying to see, or having to stop moving and dig in pockets (my keys are typically hanging on my belt loop).

It's one of those things you couldn't appreciate how often you would be enjoying having until it is available all the time.

Oh, and it is still available if your phone is lost/stolen/broken/dead at night. Pickpockets love phones, they slip out of pockets so smoothly, keys - not so much.