KL4 on a vital gear body

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the difference between E1E is small now, but just wait until the battery starts to drain a little more. The Z57 has a nicer click feel IMHO.

-David

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
You know, when I first got the FB1 and then the F2 the following week, I liked everything about the Vital Gear's except the clickie. I was certain that I preferred the clickie tail cap of my L4.

But now my opinion has completely turned around. I much prefer the softer and far more quiet click of the Vital Gear clickies. Not only is the Surefire harder to press, it has farther to travel when depressed and it makes a very pronounced "click"...which I now actually find to be getting on my nerves a little bit....Press down hard...Loud Click! The FB's are all but silent.

But perhaps the biggest and most important difference I've found over the past few weeks was discovered over the course of many times trying to hold the flashlights in my mouth (so as to free up both hands). I often find the need to have the use of both hands, and it's become quite natural for me to hold one of my lights in my mouth for a few minutes or longer, in order to provide illumination while I'm working.

The FB1 is absolutely no problem. It's small (quite a bit smaller than the E1) and it's lighter in weight. The FB2 is not only considerably shorter than the L4, it too is also much lighter in weight. And here's the biggie for me...it doesn't have the cross hatch/checkering texture on the tailcap, like the L4. And as minor as that sounds, it actually makes a real difference for me in every day use.

The checkering is seriously rough on my teeth! In order to help keep the heavier body of the L4 stable while holding it in my mouth, it's necessary to hold on tight with my teeth...much tighter than what is required when doing the same with the FB2. The coarse checkering actually grinds against my teeth...bigtime! The FB2 (and the FB1) on the other hand are almost what I would call comfortable. The larger ridges in the forward edge of the tailcap are placed in just the right position to get a good grip.

Maybe that all sounds kinda odd, but it's a real life, every day use for me...and for my needs, the VG bodies come out on top.

One more reason why there are so many flavors...Each to his own! ;)

Last edited:

FredM

Enlightened
I don't own any Vital Gear stuff but I can tell from the pics I prefer the clip position of the E1L which keeps the head out of my pocket.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Again, different strokes...

I don't like clips...at all. Not on my flashlights, not on my knives. I much prefer to use a pouch/holster.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
Yes, the difference between E1E is small now, but just wait until the battery starts to drain a little more. The Z57 has a nicer click feel IMHO.

-David[/QUOTE

Fratello, I have been using them and never ran into the problems you have.
once adjusted ( the only bad thing about them, but like I said, i like it because i can tune it to my pressure point) Its all good. i can't speak for the newest ones with the spring, or older ones that look different, but mine don't seem to have a voltage problem even at last leg dead a$$ batts.(i used your method, and a few of mine, got negligible higher resistance in the E1e not the FB-1.)
Could be the FB-2 2x123 is more problematic i dunno. VDG

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
VDG,

Since I just ordered an FB1, I'd be grateful if you could point me to how to
adjust/tune these.

I'm sorry that they require adjusting at all since I'm not technically/mechanically inclined.

However if this is simple, I'm sure I could give it a go if necessary.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine were the new versions with a spring. But I now own the old type. The clip is too far away from the body, it fell of of my pocket yesterday while on a lanyard. I was sprinting, it fell of, swung, and clashed into my hand... I now have an unusualy bump on my left pinky... probably swollen.

-David

meat

Newly Enlightened
FredM said:
I don't own any Vital Gear stuff but I can tell from the pics I prefer the clip position of the E1L which keeps the head out of my pocket.

I really like how the clip on the Vital Gear keeps most of the flashlight in your pocket, but I like how the E1L/E1E can be clipped on to a baseball hat.

sanseiryu

Newly Enlightened
endwahl said:
has anyone used the KL4 with an FB3 and AAs?
I do and use 3 cr123's with no problems. You can use aa's but with reduced output, like a xm-3 aa. They do rattle around due to the barrel size configured for 123 batteries, there must be a tube or a sleeve that can be used to prevent the movement. The light will flicker when the batteries move inside. But otherwise just a real nice combo. I think the quality of the VG is quite good.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
easilyled said:
VDG,

Since I just ordered an FB1, I'd be grateful if you could point me to how to
adjust/tune these.

I'm sorry that they require adjusting at all since I'm not technically/mechanically inclined.

However if this is simple, I'm sure I could give it a go if necessary.

If you just ordered a new one it most likely will have a spring instead blades.

If it is blades, bending them with just your fingers or pulling out with finger nail's in or out, will affect how far the from the battery the SW will turn on and a minor amount of how much the constant on mode will be. often bending in more will allow the the cap to be tighter.VDG

talonturbo

Newly Enlightened
I've been using the blade style one (FB1) for about a year with a KL4. Did a fix for contact and haven't had to touch it yet. Much smaller, and the clip can easily be tightened (undo 1 screw and flip it upside down then secure and bend, then turn the clip back to normal position). Also, the E1e clips leave most of the weight out of the pocket which leads to dropped or lost lights. Never used a SF clickie but like the VG ones alot. Usually have it on my keys, where a lanyard hole at the end of the light instead of almost middle is appreciated. Just bought a KL1 to go on my other FB1 for outdoor/camping use (better battery life than the KL4, as well as throw). Only thing I wish I could do with a VG body is buy a 2 stage cap for it.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks for the advice VDG - as you say its probably one with springs I'll be
getting though (it should be arriving soon).

I hope it doesn't need any adjusting.

easilyled

Flashaholic
My FB1 body arrived from Lighthound today :)

I screwed my KL4 into it with a protected RCR123 and hey presto,
it worked without any problems at all.

I like the light pressure on the tail-cap for either momentary
or constant on (It DOES operate with a spring) and I found
it perfectly easy to use.

The HA colour match was nigh-on perfect and this "TW4" combination
is about the same size as the chrome-PD-Mclux (very small)

Its still daylight, but initial impressions are that its operating at
full power, and as my KL4 has a perfect white tint and quite likely
W-bin output, its a real pocket rocket. :rock:

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice thread. The TW4's are a beautiful. The Vital Gear FB1 bodies are so small that the head seems even more outstanding.
vg6006.jpg

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the KL4 on a Malkoff VME body/twisy and it will be 2.9in or shorter. It makes a good keychain light too.

Bolek

Enlightened
I like the KL4 on a Mc Gizmo Ti pack :D
BTW do you know if L2 Digital Lumamax can run on 2xRcR 123 ? As it does not light with one 17670 I put 2x 3V 123 rechargable in it.

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice thread. The TW4's are a beautiful. The Vital Gear FB1 bodies are so small that the head seems even more outstanding.
vg6006.jpg

The KL4 in the photo is a 2009, 120 lumen model (Thanks BigBoy)and will light using an RCR-123, (off the charger at 4.2 volts) and not a CR-123.

Last edited: