Knife & Light pics. (Identify your images!)

iacchus

Enlightened
20240315-120912.jpg

NTI Full Carved Double Lock
Malkoff 16650 XP-L
RCB Appalachian Jack

The Deka is such a good deal for what you get. Hogue has really been doing a great job w/ their knife lineup.
Ever since the Magnacut version came out, the 20CV versions dropped in price on the secondary market. Still a stellar knife and I don't really see any real-world difference between steels. I really like their wharncliffe version, but the compound bevel is tricky to sharpen.

iacchus

Enlightened
Ever since the Magnacut version came out, the 20CV versions dropped in price on the secondary market. Still a stellar knife and I don't really see any real-world difference between steels. I really like their wharncliffe version, but the compound bevel is tricky to sharpen.
M390/20CV/S45/Magna/Elmax/Vanax (and quite a few more) are all such outstanding steels it really takes some particular use to notice any difference at all.
I can tell a little difference on the stones, but in use they all perform so well it's a wash.

It's a lovely time to be a knife consumer.

iacchus

Enlightened
Malkoff MDC 14500 w/ Nichia DD 519a ~4000K and a Spyderco Sage II. New brass/Ti desk pen to boot, filled w/ my favorite Monteverde gel refill.

The Sage II has long been one of my absolute favorite Spydercos. I bought this one somewhere around 2010, and the Taichung folks really killed it in the F&F dept. I just spent a bit of time at my desk w/ some KPL and a DC4/CC4 combo giving it a refresh. It still tears down and goes back together simple as can be, and the blade still gets a great edge w/ no issue at all.
I'll never understand why they took this model off the market.

20240320-104735.jpg

iacchus

Enlightened
Man I really like that pen. Wow.

What's up with that 4000k DD malkoff? Didn't know they made a run of that?
Thanks. I like the bit of extra weight the brass gives it.

The Malk was a facebook group buy that happened. I was not part of the group buy, but lucked out getting an unused one a short bit after. It has really phenomenal tint. Grouping is somewhat like 30/200/600 or thereabouts.

iacchus

Enlightened
He did a run of these:

But thats a little lower CCT than you were looking for.

I agree that it would be great to see Gene, at the very least, offer 519s more commonly. Until then, I'm grateful to at least have a few on the market that are direct from Malkoff and unmodded.

iacchus

Enlightened
Torchlab BOSS 18650 @ 3500K, Brass/Ti pen, Vosteed Nightshade in Elmax

I'm really glad this knife is on the market. Always loved the Shilin cutter style knives, with their huge leaf blades and great ergos. The last production version easily attainable before this one was the Spyderco Lum, and it has been discontinued for years.
You could always find a cheap version from overseas, but they never much did it for me as a proper carry, as much as I tried. Fox makes one now, the "Chilin", but I much prefer Vosteed's iteration.
Great blade steel (I adore Elmax, but have one in Nitro V as well), solid F&F, a variety of scales and lock versions and in two sizes.
I don't do axis/crossbar locks, so I'm glad they offer a liner lock still.
It's one of those knife patterns where you only realize how well it's designed once you use it for a bit.

20240326-073746.jpg