LED indoor lighting - floor lamps?

mejesster

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I recently moved to a new apartment with... POOR LIGHTING! I was looking around for some lamps and such to brighten it up, and I was hoping to find some LED floor lamps that run on AC, but I haven't seen much. One from Ikea, one from DWR. Has anyone else come across LED floor or table lamps?

Thanks,
-Jesse

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I havn't seen many, but with a Xitanium driver and some good heatsinking, you should be able to convert a lamp pretty easily.

I did a couple for my grandparents, and they're liking them.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is usually cheaper to buy a regular lamp and use an LED or CFL bulb.

Beware IKEA torchieres with a reading lamp attached. The reading lamp is usually a E17 socket (read unobtainium bulb).

Most LED bulbs are not more efficient than CFLs. Only the Cree/SSC-P4s are a little better.

LED bulbs are directional. You need to point the bulb at where you need light for maximum effect.

Some bulbs to look at

Philips LED Lightbulbs
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/225441
Got mine at Home Depot $29.99. Not very bright for a floor lamp. I have some comparisons beamshots with other kinds of bulbs in the link.
Also available in screw base flood, GU10 bi-pin 115VAC, MR16 bi-pin 24 VDC.

evolux is equivalent to a 75 watt bulb. $50
zetalux is equivalent to a 25 watt bulb. $40

mejesster

Newly Enlightened
Other posts in this section imply that LED bulbs are acceptable, but not really a great solution. Does that line up with your experiences?

Also, while I wouldn't mind doing some electronics work myself, I don't have tools/expertise to build the body of the lamp.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems everytime I bring up the idea of LED optimized floor lamps I get drowned out by home owners with recessed can lights and looking for a way to fill their holes in the ceiling. Sorry, can't help.

I have several designs for great looking lamps that will only work with the unique point brightness of LEDs. Take several panes of textured, clear glass like this, build a tall narrow box out of it, and mount LEDs in the corners facing inwards. I don't have to pull my ray-tracing software out to conclude the results will be unlike anything you can do with CFL and quite spectacular.

Or, a wide, metal cylinder where LEDs are mounted on the inside with optics that project on to the opposite side. The inside of the cylinder is painted bright white so it projects a wide glow of light above and below without the LEDs being directly visible.

Drop pendants that use frosted glass or alabaster would be ideal to be coupled with +400 lumen LEDs, but I'm shocked no lighting designer has figured this out yet. CFLs tend to be fugly when used in pendants.

Otherwise, I'm waiting for the XP-G to hit the streets because the initial specs would indicate it distances the best CFLs in terms of efficiency.

If you really want an LED retrofit bulb concensus here is that the Evolux might be your best option.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
Hi all,

I recently moved to a new apartment with... POOR LIGHTING! I was looking around for some lamps and such to brighten it up, and I was hoping to find some LED floor lamps that run on AC, but I haven't seen much. One from Ikea, one from DWR. Has anyone else come across LED floor or table lamps?

Thanks,
-Jesse

I have the one from Ikea. Its not too bad - about what you'd expect for something from Ikea. I believe they called it the "Dioder" or something to that effect.

mejesster

Newly Enlightened
I got the floor lamp from these guys:
http://www.konceptech.com/
And I'm moderately happy with it. Not perfect, but definitely gets the job done, and it's quality construction and good looking to boot.