LED Lenser has made a 100 000 lumens flashlight! (The worlds largest flashlight)

Stefan DE

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't want to be one of the poor suckers under that light when the crane gives out... "Man crushed by world's largest flashlight, news at 11!"
In Germany we have special reguatories for such cases as lifting huge loads over people. E.g. the materials involved may only be stressed to 1/10 to 1/8 of its capacity, second safety (capable of more load) for solvable compound, fireproof, ...
So it's very unlikely that this would happen - and also be very bad press for the company.

I could easily build a smaller more powerful one with 3x1500 watt metal halides, an inverter and some big batteries. For a German company I would have thought their engineering on a project like this would have been better thought out.
This wasn't target of the project - they buildt it for archieving the record, which consisted in building a (at least) ten times bigger version of a normal consumer product. So building a 10,000 lm battery driven flashlight would have met the criteria as the normal consumer product only outputs 1,000 lm - instead they went to 30,000 lm for battery power.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it was a nice project to embark upon, and I hope most of the carping was intended in good humour. Well done Zweibruder Optoelectronics.

I loved the bit in the video where they all caress the shaft, reminded me of the apes and the monolith in 2001.

Come on Surefire, you can't let them get away with that one? I'd like to see a huge 6P with CR123A's to scale and a quick draw holster.

Try getting one of those in your carry on luggage!

DM51

Flashaholic
I agree with Nyctophiliac - this is quite an impressive thing to have built. OK, it's large enough to be a monument or some other kind of edifice, but in the pic in post #36 it looks like a rocket booster. 30,000 lm is not to be sneezed at, even though it could easily be achieved in a far smaller package (~8 Polarion PH40s or equivalent).

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
This to me is like the worlds largest thermometer in baker. It's not really a thermometer, it's just a tower with some light bulbs that read out temperature. This is not a flashlight it's just an oversized ceiling lamp.

qwerty, you and I had the exact same thought! When my brother and I biked from Barstow to Baker, we had to leave very early, because there are no facilities on that stretch of 15, and if we didn't make it to Baker before noon, we would surely toast. We were very excited upon hearing that the world's largest thermometer was in Baker, and couldn't wait to see it. When we got there and saw a long pole with a digital thermometer stuck on top, we were heavily disappointed.

Although I agree the luminosity is impressive, I cannot in good conscience call it a flashlight.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't help feeling that the huge amounts of criticism fell down because we are mainly biased against LED Lenser as a whole. I also can't help feeling that this "monumental" flashlight would have gained much better acceptance should it be made by some our reputable and much loved CPF manufacturers.

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I dont feel like brand had anything to do with it. Whatever name you stamp on that thing folks here are going to criticize its 'flashlight' designation, and the fact that the actual output could have been had on a much smaller unit.

jmwking

Newly Enlightened
As a flashlight, it may not be first rate. But as a publicity stunt, it is first rate. Folks are talking about it and visiting their website. What more could they ask?

-jk

nguyet16

Newly Enlightened
Add some wheels,a motor,and a couple of incandescents and you have a hybrid ;)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

bob4apple

Enlightened
A new TSA regulation is being written at this very moment....
...the batteries MUST remain inside the flashlight during flight.
An agent will ask you to turn it on to verify.....OOOOOOOOOPS!!!

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's just stupid! Really, they spent all that time and money building something that can only do 30k lumens off batteries, and has to be plugged in to mains to reach full output, which makes it no longer a flashlight.

Give Wayne 230 hours and that much aluminium and he'd cream that thing in his sleep.

Rokron

Newly Enlightened
I think as long as you have a pocket clip you're good. :)

Also I'm going to take a wild guess and say this flashlight uses lead-acid batts.

Maybe Kuku could make a nice ti clip for it? Heck he could even go for the worlds largest pocket clip.:laughing:

Last edited:

Moriarty

Newly Enlightened
I wish that they would put the same effort into bring the X21R to market.

davyro

Enlightened
Well done to my second favourite German company,i own 2 Led Lensers & i know they're not the most popular manufacturer here on CPF
but i love my T7 & my M14 they have fantastic runtime & i find them a great asset when i go camping.

P.S my favourite German company is BMW:thumbsup:

ginaz

Enlightened
it could have a single 5mm led and still be the "world's LARGEST flashlight". no claim is made to being the brightest

Latest posts