LED, LEP, or HID Request Please.

EpicATrain

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__X__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__X__I'm flexible, tell me what you got.

3) Format:

_X__I want a flashlight.
_X___I want a headlamp.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

__X__I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
__X__HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
__X__LEP (Light Emitting Plasma)

6) Manufacturer:

__X__I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

__X__ Not terribly important - Rechargable Would be nice.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__X__I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

__X__150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)
__X__ Maximum Flood Is Preferred Over Throw

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

__X__Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
__X__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

__X__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

__X__I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

__X__I don't care.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

__X__I don't care.

I'm looking for a super bright flashlight that has more flood than throw. Eventually I'll be building a law enforcement UAV for night time urban search and rescue, but that's not for a while down the line. The reason I mention it is in case you guys know of a good bulb for such a task. In the mean time, for recreational use, I am looking for an impressive flashlight that uses LEP, LED, or HID. In fact, I'm looking more towards the purchase of the bulbs themselves over flashlights, but I'll easily consider a completed flashlight. Reason for the builbs themselves is so that I can put them in different applications.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The 800 lumens listed as "ridiculous" is now reduced to ridiculous because its now DIM compared to what even a pocket light can produce now-a-days.

For flood examples, take a look at the Zebra Light S6330, Klarus RS80 and the Thrunite TN30 for examples. (There are others, but those will give you an idea of what's out there - the S6330 is ~ 4" long and puts out 2,400-2,800 lumens depending on which LEDs are in it, and so forth)

For a UAV, the LED solution will be most durable, as there are no bulbs to break.

Depending on your power supply, there are some LEDs that pump out crazy amounts of light. You would need to mount them on very large copper slugs, say a pound or two, to help dissipate the heat.

An easy way to get it all wired might be to get one that's equipped for a pressure switch or remote, and then use the remote to control the light. The Klarus lights tend to come with remotes that can hit the strobe, change brightness, etc...in addition to the standard on/off you typically see for a weapon light.

Last edited:

EpicATrain

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your reply Teej. What LED/HID/LEP bulbs are available for purchase by the public (without the flashlight) and where can I find such information? I'm looking for the brightest contestants of these types. The last time I went flashlight shopping, I focused more on the bulb than who made a flashlight. The last flashlight I bought uses a quad core LED bulb with about 1800 Lumens. I got it from China but for the life of me, I can't recall a place where I got it.