LED lights will illuminate the field in Phoenix for the Super Bowl

CoveAxe

Enlightened
+

Really good thread
'just 310,000 watts of energy compared to 1.24 million watts needed to power the old system.'

seeing efficiency as an investment:paypal:

Eh, the energy savings itself aren't a significant money maker, though they are a nice bonus. The cost difference in electricity between the different lights is about $150/hour. That's a drop in the bucket of the total operating cost for a stadium. It will take a long time, possibly even a decade or more to recover the cost in electricity to make up for the investment. My guess is that the real savings come from not needing to replace bulbs or require maintenance, which could get expensive really quick.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
^

somewhat took that all into account, lifespan - service ect.
the watts quote was just interesting.

wonder if EphesusLighting will subsidize this setup, a kind of partnership
to get some kind of promotional plug or 'special piece' on LED stadium lighting during any of the broadcast?

worldwide,, lighting is just about to turn a big corner

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed PW. If it works on such a grand scale with such a wide audience, it might be what the masses have needed to finally push LED into the mass market.
Hopefully the gains will be motivation enough for the upgrade on a national scale, if not world wide.
I'm sure there'll be skeptics/nay sayers that will want time tested proof but...... let's hope they are few and far between.
I can't imagine what the national impact on power usage would be! Lol

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think the acid test will be how well the image holds up when viewing slo-mo playback from an overcranked camera. If the image doesn't have any flickering or strobing from the PWM, that will really help to sell it for other stadiums.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very true. I'd like to think they've tested these in RL situations before installing 100's of fixtures into a major stadium before THE game of the yr...... be a serious faux pas if they didn't.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya plus they're product information sheet specifically says that they're designed for super high frame rate, slow motion capable cameras.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Football doesn't do super slow playback like in motor racing shots, it's mostly getting the angles for replay challenges.
Really no need for super high frame rates.

Maybe I missed it,, which Cree emitters*are in these assemblies?

*at least 44,928 of them

super-bowl-2015-led-lights-537x405.jpg

Last edited:

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Football doesn't do super slow playback like in motor racing shots, it's mostly getting the angles for replay challenges.
Really no need for super high frame rates.

Maybe I missed it,, which Cree emitters*are in these assemblies?

*at least 44,928 of them

super-bowl-2015-led-lights-537x405.jpg
Nice pic! I couldn't find which emitters they are though. Look pretty big in that photo.

wws944

Enlightened
Eh, the energy savings itself aren't a significant money maker, though they are a nice bonus. The cost difference in electricity between the different lights is about $150/hour. That's a drop in the bucket of the total operating cost for a stadium. It will take a long time, possibly even a decade or more to recover the cost in electricity to make up for the investment. My guess is that the real savings come from not needing to replace bulbs or require maintenance, which could get expensive really quick.

Another thing is to avoid the stadium lighting problems that the 2013 Superbowl had.

broadgage

Enlightened
Is that when the power went out?

Yes. Whilst these new LED lights still require power, they have an advantage over HID in that following a brief interruption in the power supply they should re light instantly.
HID have to cool for between half a minute and several minutes before they can re strike.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
So far it looks like the LED lights are working well. The field looks to be well lit, the color rendition looks good and I haven't noticed any flicker or strobing on the slo-mo. Thge only noticeable difference I see is that the greens are really popping, both the grass and the green accents on the Seahawks' uniforms.
:thumbsup:

CoveAxe

Enlightened
the color rendition looks good... Thge only noticeable difference I see is that the greens are really popping, both the grass and the green accents on the Seahawks' uniforms.
:thumbsup:

The cameras are color corrected to look great with the lighting. The lamps have a CRI of only about 70.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it seems quite successful. Low shadow issues as well.
Only thing I noticed is that the air above the play field seems "foggy" or lit up like a beam shot would be. Has that distinct LED flood glow to it. Lol
It also looks like the amount of light spilling out of the top of the stadium is lowered drastically but it's hard to tell on video.
That video playing halftime stage was something else too!