LEDs for my cars

Superdan50

Newly Enlightened
Please bare with me, i am new to LEDs.

What would i need to power a 10w led (Click Here for the specific led i'm looking at, i don't know what info is needed to answer my question) in my car?

What is the difference between a resistor and a driver, and how are they used in an automotive capacity?

Also specific recommendations are more than welcome.

Last edited:

mds82

Enlightened
Well first off what are you looking to with the led's? Are you looking for accessory lights? Driving lights? Off-road lights? Etc... Many people will tell you that building your own car lighting is a bad idea, but depending what you are looking for, it could be done

Superdan50

Newly Enlightened
i intend on using them in a sort of daytime running light capacity, more for shows really. i am familiar with needing lenses and reflectors and so forth, what i need to know is what the best way to power them is.

jason 77

Enlightened
i intend on using them in a sort of daytime running light capacity, more for shows really. i am familiar with needing lenses and reflectors and so forth, what i need to know is what the best way to power them is.

Did you read the article I linked to above Superdan50?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they are supposed to be DRLs, this thread, although originally dealing with a Prius, is still pertinent.

Your LED "running lights" must conform to certain specifications if that car touches the road. To rehash, if you don't read the link, there are photometric specifications and phsysical properties (abrasion, UV, and chemical resistance) that the lights must possess.

What is the difference between a resistor and a driver, and how are they used in an automotive capacity?
A resistor is a passive device that simply adds resistance to a circuit. A driver takes an input voltage and current and regulates it such that a determined voltage and current is output, and can adjust for variances in the input to keep the output within a set of bounds. A driver, of course, is more complicated, but it offers greater protection to the connected device and far less variance in performance.

Superdan50

Newly Enlightened
Did you read the article I linked to above Superdan50?

i did but got confused pretty quickly.

as far as the prius thread goes i grew tired of the "dont do it" kinda thing. mine are for show and offroad purpose and will be using different colors anyhow. so i guess my DRL comparison isnt really a correct description.

Notsure Fire

Enlightened
I understand where you're coming from. I used to be like that, very excited about LED's and wanting to learn. Though I still know nothing about the cars part of it, you'll learn if you're dedicated enough. This is agreat place for this.

Superdan50

Newly Enlightened
also, while im thinkin about it, does anyone know where i can find a reflector/collimator in the 40-50mm range for a 5w led?