Lemax LX70 Superpower HID Light

Enderman

Enlightened
Unfortunately it's very, very unrealistic to use UHP bulbs in a production light. Removing the bulbs from their glass reflectors is dangerous and not suitable for a production environment. There are also no DC ballasts for these bulbs (except for the Philips Ujoy 50W bulb which is not very bright). You would either need to develop your own ballast for them (no projector company does this, they all use standard Philips/Osram ballasts) or put large inverters into the lights. This reduces efficiency and increases size dramatically.

In the end you would get an extreme thrower with a slow warm-up time and a much lower total system efficiency and thus lower runtime. Switching out the bulb wouldn't be realistic anymore for the customer because these bulbs require protective clothing and proper training whereas the Lemax uses relatively cheap, standard automotive HID bulbs. As far as I know these bulbs are also not meant for hot-restiking.

in addition to this you would probably also need active cooling for safe, continuous operation.
I mean, xevision did mention in that post that they would make their own ballast...
It may be hard to do with a UHP bulb since those require 300vdc, but maybe xenon (like the maxabeam) or mercury is possible.
They do sell some UHP bulbs without the glass reflectors though.

There would be no need to switch out the bulb if it comes preinstalled in the light, maybe send it in for replacement if it burns out, or sell a replacement kit like maxabeam does.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xenon short-arc does seem nice at short glance, but there are some signifigant drawbacks:
1. Xenon short-arc systems are super inefficient
2. Xenon short-arc bulbs run with low voltage and high current => large component sizes lead to large, heavy power supplies

I guess you could try maybe a 150W bulb with ~4500 lumens (if possible with just passive cooling). You would need a specially designed ballast though to make it useable in a flashlight tube.

BVH

Flashaholic
Xenon short-arc does seem nice at short glance, but there are some signifigant drawbacks:
1. Xenon short-arc systems are super inefficient
2. Xenon short-arc bulbs run with low voltage and high current => large component sizes lead to large, heavy power supplies

I guess you could try maybe a 150W bulb with ~4500 lumens (if possible with just passive cooling). You would need a specially designed ballast though to make it useable in a flashlight tube.

Make use of the Excelitas (old Cermax) type lamp and power supplies systems like the Megaray does. Use the 300 Watt lamp and the PC board would not have to be much bigger than the small board in the Megaray 175 watt light.

Hopefully, Getlit will bring out his monster in the future. Now THAT's Really the ticket!

Last edited:

Enderman

Enlightened
Yeah, looking forward to that light :)

Stuff like the megaray and maxablaster aren't much bigger than the lemax lights but I see what The Driver means about efficiency.
These phillips HIDs are like 100-150 lm/W efficient, hard to beat even with LED.

Are there really no HIDs better than those old fatboy bulbs?

BVH

Flashaholic
Yes, you need to use the Mercury or Metal Halide Short Arc lamps to get 100 LPW and higher.

AC type HID's are never going to throw like a DC Short Arc in an apples to apples comparison. Because there's a small point of light at the end of each electrode alternately, the effective size of the point of light produced is the size of the entire arc gap, not the true "single point of light" 10%-15% of the arc gap in a DC lamp.

I don't know of any AC HID lamps able to handle power better than the Fat Boy.

PolarLi

Enlightened
There is one HID lamp technology that is interesting, Ushio Emarc. You can get a 160-200W single ended Mercury lamp, producing 10000 lumens with a 1.2mm arc gap. Only 50 LPW, but still better than Xenon, especially low wattage Xenon. And it's a low current DC lamp :cool: The downside? Still long warm up times.
For the 100W reflectorversion of the Emarc lamps, you can even get a 11-17VDC ballast. Usually, you can cascade two DC ballast together to double the wattage, however, this particular ballast is not built for this because it run a built in igniter. But with a small modification, it may work.

Lamp: www.elightbulbs.com/pdfs/ushio/ushio-EmArc-Specs.pdf
Ballast: https://www.rotec-gmbh.com/produkt/lighting/electronic-ballasts/dc-lamps/bcs-75-dc/ or the AC/high voltage DC ballast: https://www.rotec-gmbh.com/produkt/lighting/electronic-ballasts/dc-lamps/ecs-200-dc/

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG_9400.JPG
IMG_9401.JPG

Thought I'd pass this on if anyone else is worried about scratching the lense on the behemoth. Found these on Instagram and thought it might work. Search for "inspireuplift.com" and look at favorites. Fits like a glove. One also fits the LX50...:devil:...........and it also looks like the next size would fit the LX70.

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great info Sandy! I guess those who may have the "Triple Crown"---or on the way there--would have great use for all three of these!:popcorn:

Karl

Last edited:

august99

Newly Enlightened
I am very new to this light. I found it on your forums. How do I get my hands on one of these and how much do they cost?

Thanks.

kj2

Flashaholic
Go to their website, and you can contact them for purchase. LX70SP goes for 2930USD normally. But at the moment they have a discount.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
FOLKS! The SUPERPOWER is available for 30% off direct from LEMAX at this time. The deal will be ending soon...within 24hrs! Sorry for the short notice. If your on the fence, this is the time to jump. :thumbsup:

august99​ - Hope you see this!

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

Been a while for me since on CPF.

I own the LEMAX LX70 Superpower.

It is amazing. I am on a search & rescue team (SAR) and decided to purchase it last year. I've used it on several searches and built a custom 4 point chest harness using a modified assault rifle sling.

happy to answer any questions about the light and will try to get some beamshots up for all to enjoy.

-Eric

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
View attachment 7956
View attachment 7957

Thought I'd pass this on if anyone else is worried about scratching the lense on the behemoth. Found these on Instagram and thought it might work. Search for "inspireuplift.com" and look at favorites. Fits like a glove. One also fits the LX50...:devil:...........and it also looks like the next size would fit the LX70.

Aweosme found them on the website! Also i own the AceBeam X70 and I think one of these lids may fit that too! Thanks!!