LEP discussion thread: (White laser flashlights)

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
beats using a knife. depends of where you live. if Id live in the US I wouldn't carry a torch for self defense thats for sure.
If he's close enough for a knife, you need a wide beam pattern to dazzle him. You won't be able to aim a narrow diameter beam.

javafool

Enlightened
I also own lethal weapons that are legal for self defense that can be used if you are in imminent threat of death. It seems legally it would be better to shoot and kill someone rather than temporarily, or possibly permanently blind them. I really do appreciate the replies. This was intended to be a serious concern if, God forbid, I am faced with this situation.

eric curry

Newly Enlightened
Is anybody out there? I just joined but I can see very little interest on this group of LEP's
im really interested in buying one used, maybe.
eric Curry

LEDconvert

Newly Enlightened
How robust are LEPs? Are the laser/mirror configurations able to deal with being dropped from waist height or whatever the standard is for LEDs?
Do the lasers units dim over time with use?
( I'm considering buying the Fenix one).

easilyled

Flashaholic
How robust are LEPs? Are the laser/mirror configurations able to deal with being dropped from waist height or whatever the standard is for LEDs?
Do the lasers units dim over time with use?
( I'm considering buying the Fenix one).
That's a good question. I'd like to know the answer. Not all LEPs use mirrors. There's a second type that allow the beam to go directly through some type of optic and then hit the phosphor if I have understood that correctly. I'm not sure whether they're more robust than the mirror method or not.

LEDconvert

Newly Enlightened
That's a good question. I'd like to know the answer. Not all LEPs use mirrors. There's a second type that allow the beam to go directly through some type of optic and then hit the phosphor if I have understood that correctly. I'm not sure whether they're more robust than the mirror method or not.

I don't know much about lasers really. My reason for posing the question was that I recently noticed that one of the laser modules on a good brand of laser level I own has dimmed noticeably, even though I don't use it very much.
The type of laser may be completely different in LEPs, but it just makes me wonder do they have an Achilles heel?

....Still probably going to buy one all the same.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I don't know much about lasers really. My reason for posing the question was that I recently noticed that one of the laser modules on a good brand of laser level I own has dimmed noticeably, even though I don't use it very much.
The type of laser may be completely different in LEPs, but it just makes me wonder do they have an Achilles heel?

....Still probably going to buy one all the same.
That's interesting to read. Lasers are banned here in the UK, so I don't own any and I am completely ignorant about them, apart from in this new conversion technology. (Albeit, I still don't know much! ;))

Chris_Lappas

Newly Enlightened
I am currently trying to find a good battery for my lumintop ant man and I am considering ordering the vapcell H10 online. However the store also provides a "button top" option. I have no idea whatsoever if I should choose this or the non button top battery.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

boo5ted

Enlightened
I am currently trying to find a good battery for my lumintop ant man and I am considering ordering the vapcell H10 online. However the store also provides a "button top" option. I have no idea whatsoever if I should choose this or the non button top battery.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I use the button top H10 in mine and haven't had any issues. 🤷‍♂️

Laser_Project

Newly Enlightened
Strange I cannot find the specific wavelength and the power output of the blue laser diodes themselves used in any LEP flashlight, google searches are coming up empty for me so far. Must be considered propriety information!

Laser_Project

Newly Enlightened
So is rape, robbery, and assault. Everyone should have the right to fend off an attack using any means available.
Killing someone is illegal too, except in self defense. In any case I'd rather have done something illegal in defense of my life and live, too bad what the law might be or the low life who might be blinded. If you blind someone defending yourself don't tell anyone and escape. I'd only use that as either a sole or last resort though.

I still cannot find the specific wavelength used with LEP flashlights, I keep googling, not finding.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
So is rape, robbery, and assault. Everyone should have the right to fend off an attack using any means available.
Legally, in a self defense situation one has to use an appropriate (not excessive) amount of force to repel an attacker. Meaning the minimum amount of force which promises to be effective. So no, not by any means available, only when warranted though direct and immediate risk to your or others lives.

Blinding is inherently non-lethal & usually does not cause permanent damage, so it is a justified means of self defense for a much wider selection of situations in the eye of the law then say, discharging a firearm. I think this should be considered when talking about these things in a defensive context. Successfully defending yourself is one thing, when happens afterwards in court, another.

DRW

Enlightened
Legally, in a self defense situation one has to use an appropriate (not excessive) amount of force to repel an attacker. Meaning the minimum amount of force which promises to be effective. So no, not by any means available, only when warranted though direct and immediate risk to your or others lives.
Deadly force is acceptable when you are in fear for your life or that of another, fear of serious bodily harm for yourself or another (includes rape). If the attacker happens to die will being repelled, that's OK.

As an international forum, there will be members who are aware of laws that may be contrary to this. In the US there are places where no one has a duty to retreat. This varies a little by state and location of the incident. Generally, if in your own home, there is no duty to retreat.

I did a little reading on laser levels (3B) used in LEP lights, while possible, it's unlikely to permanently blind anyone.

Laser_Project

Newly Enlightened
I'd only use a high power LEP flashlight as a next to last resort of using a stronger response to a threat such as a pistol or some such deadly weapon. Although there might not be time to kill someone who is a threat to your life, if you already had the flashlight in hand and didn't expect the threat, better to use the flashlight and survive, I think, law aside, deal with that later.

DRW: I consider potentially blinding someone just one or two notches under deadly force (which I believe you may agree with) and good to see the LEP lights are unlikely to permanently blind anyone.

Last edited:

Laser_Project

Newly Enlightened
Toys received in the mail: Transmissive White Phosphor Plates.

I confirmed them to be transmissive and to produce a very bright white appearing output. Great they used Sapphire for the wafer as it will conduct heat well when mounted to a heat sink. Maximum pump power from the laser is 7 watts per square mm.

Phosphor targets.jpg

These plates are very small, three sizes listed at the below link:

From smallest to largest:

1. Three mm diameter sapphire wafer with 1 mm phosphor spot (measured .65 mm spot) 5700K $30.00

2. Five mm diameter sapphire wafer with 1 mm spot (measured .65 mm spot) 6000K $30.00

3. Eight mm diameter sapphire wafer with 3 mm spot (measured 3 mm spot) 7000K $30.00

Excitation Wavelength440-460nm
Phosphor Dimensions (The yellow area)φ3mm/φ1mm
Total Dimensionsφ8*0.7mm/φ5*0.65mm/φ3*0.65mm
Base Plate MaterialSapphire
Color Temperature5700K / 6000K / 7000K
Light Efficiency (Laser to White Light)165lm/W@5500K
Max Working Temperature200℃
Max Laser Power Density7W/mm^2

1653216812351.png

Thermal conductivity of Sapphire:

Nonmetals are often thought of as being relatively poor conductors of heat; however crystalline nonmetals can actually have very high thermal conductivities. The thermal conductivity of sapphire (aluminum oxide) actually exceeds that of very pure copper (RRR 500), from about 20K to 100K. Sapphire is used as an electrical insulator in heat sinking applications (magnet leads, for example) where excellent thermal conductivity and electrical isolation are required.

sapphire.jpg

Note: 375 K is close to 100 C., 475 K is close to 200 C.

Supplier:
Shenzhen Guangchuangfeng Technology Co., Ltd.Contact Name: Sabrina Zhao

Registered company address: CN, Guangdong, Shenzhen, B1607, Rongde Times Square, Huaqiao New Village Community, Henggang Street, Longgang District Company Tel: 86-0755-13128736762
Company Email: [email protected]

Last edited:

Razvan_N

Newly Enlightened
I still cannot find the specific wavelength used with LEP flashlights, I keep googling, not finding.
Two separate scientific articles (regarding automotive LEP, as big companies are not interested in flashlights) indicate the use of 450 nm (right between violet and blue).

Latest posts