Lexar Lightning 4GB/Change Removable Bit... SUCCESS!

drewjmore

Newly Enlightened
On a whim, I got a Lexar Echo ZE drive from Newegg to see if I could get it's bit flipped. No dice with Bootit.

I've also tried to flip an HP v165w, didn't work.

I was hoping to be able to use one of these as virtual memory for my laptop, saving wear and tear from using it as a CG rendering farm part of the time.

Are there any currently available (retail) sticks that you can still flip?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The idea of using a USB drive as virtual memory is attractive (I've used CF & SD in that way), but transfer rates for them are all over the map. Check out a (very small) downloadable USB benchmarking software called 'Flashbench'. I was able to see what the actual speeds of my USB drives were, even seeing that their speeds are different when full, empty, or freshly formatted. A very interesting exercise IMO.

DareDave

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone!

I just checked CORSAIR Voyager 8 GB - and Lexar utility didn't work.. :(
I'm waiting for PQI Intelligent Drive i820 4GB and VERBATIM Storage n'Go 4 GB (will be shipped from Germany). I will check both and let you know..

I scaned voyager by ChipGenius.
Here are some details from my drive:
Description: [E:]Masowe urządzenie magazynujące USB(Corsair Voyager)
Device Type: Mass Storage Device

Protocal Version: USB 2.00
Current Speed: High Speed
Max Current: 200mA

USB Device ID: VID = 1B1C PID = 1AB1
Serial Number: AA00000000001798

Device Vendor: Corsair
Device Name: Voyager
Device Revision: 1100

Manufacturer: Corsair
Product Model: Voyager
Product Revision: 1100

Chip Vendor: SMI
Chip Part-Number: SM3257ENAA - ISP 111216-AA-
Flash ID code: 45DE9892 - SanDisk - 1CE/Single Channel [TLC] -> Total Capacity = 8GB

-----------------------

There are so many drives, I think it's good idea to give a detailed output for every scanned drive. Info like Part-number, Vendor-id, Product-id are very important...

Have a better day from me, bye

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your best bet is a silver-bodied Lexar Lightning 4GB. They are difficult but not impossible to find.

They very reliably do what this threads describes.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I took a 'BootIt' shot at one of my two Sandisk Cruzer Micro 8GB's, no luck w/ flipping the removable bit. (Still hoping for RAID0 on an older laptop...)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lexar Lightning 4GB/Change Removable Bit...

I've honestly never looked up how to do it in Windows. It was always twenty times faster to load up a Linux flavor on a LiveCD with gParted and go to town. Is that terrible? It does what you want, but not in the way you want to.