Life's small annoyances

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Pennies.
I always look at the register's "change due" display and then tell the clerk "please leave the pennies in the till" when I am about to receive change with pennies in it.
Some of them have gotten used to that, and will preemptively say "pennies left in the drawer" before I can speak; others still have to be told.

Why DO they have pricing like "$39.99" or "$19.99" when it's a whole lot easier to have prices of "$40" and "$20"?

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cell phones. Use while driving, in restaurants, standing in line...it's like people cannot take a moment of their life without having to be yacking about some trivial matter. In same, it seems to be a fashion statement by having a Bluetooth device clipped over the ear. :ohgeez:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like it when people insist on setting the AC thermostat to 60° F in the summer. What I can't understand is why they are often the same people who set the heater's thermostat to 85° F in the winter.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
RA40 said:
Cell phones. Use while driving, in restaurants, standing in line...it's like people cannot take a moment of their life without having to be yacking about some trivial matter. In same, it seems to be a fashion statement by having a Bluetooth device clipped over the ear. :ohgeez:

I agree with you on both points! I've seen so many people who seem to have a cell phone glued to their ear all of the time. What can possibly be that important that they need to be on a phone call every waking hour of their lives? How did they live without one beforehand?

And the bluetooth headsets - I'm waiting for the spike in brain tumors in 5-10 years from now from having a microwave transmitter clipped right next to your skull all day long.
:shakehead

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Sub_Umbra said:
I don't like it when people insist on setting the AC thermostat to 60° F in the summer. What I can't understand is why they are often the same people who set the heater's thermostat to 85° F in the winter.
Actually there's a fairly logical reason for that. In the summer the air is more humid so you might actually need to get down to 60°F to feel comfortable. Yes, the AC removes humdity, but the air still isn't as dry as winter air. In winters of course the heated air in the house is usually very dry. Sometimes even 75°F feels chilly when you first roll out of bed. There's also the human tendency to get sick of the heat in the summer or sick of the cold in winter, and want to overcompensate for it by setting your thermostat to the opposite extreme. Yes, I tend to be like this although I would never have the house at 85°F in the winter. However, sometimes walking into a 55°F bedroom in the summers after a night time bike ride feels great. :laughing:

LEDMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
I'll agree with the pennies one. Here's mine:

1) women who think they have to SCREAM out their lyrics in a song, unless they
are voice-trained, or in opera etc.
2) Guys to sing really high notes in songs
3) (I can't believe this hasn't been brought up!) That CR123s are always in 2
packs and the only way you could buy multipacks is either online or trek
to a hunting store that has SF batts.
4) Loud pickups (Mostly Chevys, GMCs and Dodges)(They usually have mufflers)
5) People on cell phones while driving.
6) False Advertising
7) that people are still falling for all those scams that are around.
8) People who pull fire alarms for pranks or for fun. Never pull a fire alarm unless:
a>there is a valid reason
b>you have been granted permission by the FD or alarm co.
c>You have one in a collection

Illum

Flashaholic
Sub_Umbra said:

um....
Summer down here in Florida reaches high 97...thermostat around 76 is more than comfortable.
Wintertime setting it 85 is a bit hot, we usually leave it at 80

LEDMaster2003 said:
Never pull a fire alarm unless:
b>you have been granted permission by the FD or alarm co.
c>You have one in a collection

Well your avatar tells us alot about you already :lolsign::laughing:

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
People who honk their horn to announce their arrival/return. We're talking the city, people, not the country. Why do I care when the neighbor returns home?

How about car alarms that chirp to indicate the doors locking or unlocking? Hated it!

I have to admit I honk a lot when I'm driving, usually at red light runners and people on cell phones who don't see.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
People that don't go right away when the stoplight turns green. Usually this doesn't bother me, but this one intersection I go through several times a day has a very short green light (for the two side streets) If your lucky, four cars can make it through and there is always at least one or two drivers that have to wait 3 or more seconds before even letting off the brake, when they do that your lucky if you make it through being the third car back.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm always the guy behind you who honks the instant the light turns green, to motivate the left turners.

CostcoAAcells

Newly Enlightened
Roommates who can't load a dishwasher to save their life. They never line up all the plates and stagger the utensils so that everthing fits into one load efficiently and gets properly cleaned. They put just a few plates and cups into the dishwasher and call it "full". The cups, of course, placed the wrong way so they stay full of dishwater by end of the cycle. I live alone now and I'm thankful, I have knives and flashlights for roommates.

Also, ditto on the loud cellphone users in public. How does shouting into the phone improve crappy reception? Makes me want to staple their lips shut.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm tired of pharmaceutical companies' TV ads that announce the side effects of their new wonder drug. I don't even see the ads when I'm working, I just hear the announcement of the side effects.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
LEDMaster2003 said:
...snip...
8) People who pull fire alarms for pranks or for fun. Never pull a fire alarm unless:
...snip...

Which brings to mind the one and only time I pulled an alarm box - working fire across the street, pulled the box - and STILL felt guilty doing it! Fire was in a row of garages for a garden apartment complex - took out 4 cars. No fire walls - old garages, and the owners would not let the renters put up MORE than a sheetrock wall between bays - gad there should be concrete block walls between bays - then only ONE car would have been lost

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
kc2ouf said:
The screaming motorcycles coming off the bridge near my home are highly annoying.

Yeah, I agree they are loud. But on the bright side it's a self correcting situation. :poof:splat.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
My chiropractor/ and her office (stinks like body odour with cheap perfume/ very very nosy chiropractor that doesn't help with my back problems at all) and Kelley Ckarkson's "walk away" sog on the radio. ANd the commercial for the Q ray ionized bracelet, they find the longest way to say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THEIR PRODUCT. YOU HEARD ME RIGHT!!

Last edited: