Light Options for AR15 ?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting link! Elzetta seems tough as a hammer but 375 lumens? 375 lumens out of something with a reflector the size of a Mag or better can do 400 yards easy with very wide beams they just really wont light up things nearly as brightly as say the TK32 which has been independently tested here on the forum at an actual 952 OTF lumens on high. Despite my 2 Javelots and SR52 etc my TK32 has a place of its own as its still the most compact 40000 candela 900+ lumen light Ive got. Its beam is truly well thought out and useful at all output levels. Wish Fenix would hurry with the pressure switch for those that use them. TK32 will go on my Mossberg 590a1 when funds allow.

After revisiting the link I am left confused at what exactly Elzetta is thinking on the floody 375 lumen beam profile. A buddy of mine has a Glock .45 with a Surefire light on it that sucks. I believe the light is 200 or so lumens? Weak sauce the light is powered by 2xCR123's to boot. I introduced him to the PD35 and EA41 and he was slack jawed. I have seen countless people bolt PD35's to their long guns and been perfectly happy with them. The Elzetta is apparently meant for a very short range weapon that high output is not important for? I dont get it.

ganymede

Enlightened
good link

375 lumens does not sound much by modern standards

interesting link! Elzetta seems tough as a hammer but 375 lumens? 375 lumens out of something with a reflector the size of a Mag or better can do 400 yards easy with very wide beams they just really wont light up things nearly as brightly as say the TK32 which has been independently tested here on the forum at an actual 952 OTF lumens on high. Despite my 2 Javelots and SR52 etc my TK32 has a place of its own as its still the most compact 40000 candela 900+ lumen light Ive got. Its beam is truly well thought out and useful at all output levels. Wish Fenix would hurry with the pressure switch for those that use them. TK32 will go on my Mossberg 590a1 when funds allow.

After revisiting the link I am left confused at what exactly Elzetta is thinking on the floody 375 lumen beam profile. A buddy of mine has a Glock .45 with a Surefire light on it that sucks. I believe the light is 200 or so lumens? Weak sauce the light is powered by 2xCR123's to boot. I introduced him to the PD35 and EA41 and he was slack jawed. I have seen countless people bolt PD35's to their long guns and been perfectly happy with them. The Elzetta is apparently meant for a very short range weapon that high output is not important for? I dont get it.

This is a CQB light, 375 lumens is plenty. Also, because this is a CQB light, flood is more useful than throw in close quarter situation.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Alpha, and for indoor usage, it definitely works well. Having said that, I doubt I'd mount it on a rifle that would have any potential to be used outdoors.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
You shouldn't compare the tk32 to the smaller Malkoff or Elzetta lights. It's much more comparable to something like a Hound Dog which will definitely hold its own in output.

If you don't want a giant head, Malkoff has just come out with a high intensity drop in that will throw quite well in a standard MD2 head though it has reduced output.

Also note the potential issues with subjecting protected lithium ion batteries to the recoil of a weapon mount.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget the Chinese stuff. They make some good lights (good bang for the buck), but will not handle the rough use and recoil for the long haul. Elzetta's are the toughest lights out there. Many tests to prove it. Check them out on youtube. I have a old Malkoff M60 in a unbored Surefire 6P on my HD shotgun. That module has been put thru several hundred of rounds of shotgun blasts and still works perfectly. About half of the rounds have been heavy recoil slugs and buckshot. I have no doubt that any of the elzetta/malkoff stuff would more than meet the needs for an AR light. If more throw is needed, maybe the new Malkoff M61T throw head that Geo mentioned. It would have to be used with a MD2 body, but you would have the option to use a Surefire tailcap or one with a curly chord tape switch if you wish. Something else to consider, when target practicing I remove the cells from the host. If shooting more than a few rounds, the heavy recoil can flatten the positive button contacts on the primary cells. Not tried Lico's. Doubt that any could stand up to the recoil for very long. The recoil on an AR is relatively light compared to a 12 gauge, so they might could be an option.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a weapon light, I love a Surefire 6P original plus Malkoff M61 dropin. Should run you about $100 online. 325 floody-ish lumens with a decent hot spot. Should work extremely well indoors, and be 100% reliable.

I personally wouldn't consider any of the lights you listed in your OP as a reliable weapon mounted light.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
M22 over M23. M23 is using the XP-L HI, which is going to be a very focused beam. M23 is going to be the most durable and burly light Olight has ever made, but you want a wide beam and that is definitely not wide. You'll get tunnel vision indoors.

JETBeam 3M Pro and Klarus XT11 are two other lights that are very popular as weapon lights for us. XT11 has a nice, wide beam. You can always throw a diffuser on any of these if you want a really wide beam.

DonK

Enlightened
Thanks for all the input - now I am totally confused :)

I think I need to spend more time on researching all of these products

LE friend purchased Olight M22

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I presume that you want the smallest possibility of the light failing, from whatever abuse to which it may be subjected. While ARs have light recoil when they're chambered for 5.56 NATO, other options range from midway between 5.56 and 7.62 NATO to downright nasty. If there's any possibility of using the light with a heavier caliber, I highly suggest going as sturdy as possible.

My primary HD long gun is a Benelli M4, and I'm able to hang any light on it that I wish. What did I choose? A Surefire 6P Classic with McClicky switch running a Malkoff M61N. Why? It's not going to care what happens.....it's going to work. I don't know how many rounds of full power 2 3/4" or 3" slugs, 00 buckshot, and #4 turkey loads I've fired with the 6P mounted, but it's in the hundreds. This is in addition to at least a thousand 2 3/4" standard bird shot loads.

I haven't seen any proposed budget. If you can swing it, an Elzetta Bravo with cool or neutral (your preference) Malkoff M61 will not disappoint. They truly are tanks, especially with the crenelated bezel. I personally consider them somewhat overkill for a weapon, but wouldn't hesitate to mount one if necessary. I personally consider the Malkoff MD2 to be a very small step down in durability (primarily due to the head design...which is unlikely to matter when the light is weapon mounted), and I've got two of them mounted on ARs...a 5.56 and 7.62 NATO. In addition to being highly durable and fully proven, the turn-key light without high/low ring is good value.

Last edited:

ganymede

Enlightened
I presume that you want the smallest possibility of the light failing, from whatever abuse to which it may be subjected. While ARs have light recoil when they're chambered for 5.56 NATO, other options range from midway between 5.56 and 7.62 NATO to downright nasty. If there's any possibility of using the light with a heavier caliber, I highly suggest going as sturdy as possible.

My primary HD long gun is a Benelli M4, and I'm able to hang any light on it that I wish. What did I choose? A Surefire 6P Classic with McClicky switch running a Malkoff M61N behind an Oveready frosted lens. Why? It's not going to care what happens.....it's going to work. I don't know how many rounds of full power 2 3/4" or 3" slugs, 00 buckshot, and #4 turkey loads I've fired with the 6P mounted, but it's in the hundreds. This is in addition to at least a thousand 2 3/4" standard bird shot loads.

I haven't seen any proposed budget. If you can swing it, an Elzetta Bravo with cool or neutral (your preference) Malkoff M61 will not disappoint. They truly are tanks, especially with the crenelated bezel. I personally consider them somewhat overkill for a weapon, but wouldn't hesitate to mount one if necessary. I personally consider the Malkoff MD2 to be a very small step down in durability (primarily due to the head design...which is unlikely to matter when the light is weapon mounted), and I've got two of them mounted on ARs...a 5.56 and 7.62 NATO. In addition to being highly durable and fully proven, the turn-key light without high/low ring is good value.

^This!

Simplicity wins! On light -> aim -> shoot -> off light -> side step

DonK

Enlightened
Yes, I think that ultimately robustness is king.

I'll do some research on some of these options - may come back with questions.

My keychain Fenix has been running flawlessly for years, if that is anything to go by

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I think that ultimately robustness is king.

I'll do some research on some of these options - may come back with questions.

My keychain Fenix has been running flawlessly for years, if that is anything to go by

Not really. I have a twisty single cell (123) Fenix light that has served me well for years, but three out of five Fenix lights I owned that had clicky switches gave me problems. Twisty is always going to be more reliable than a click switch. Well, across the same manufacturer anyways.

DonK

Enlightened
So are Malkoff and Elzetta the only lights with 'potted' electronics ?

Sounds like it could be a big advantage