Light suggestions for trip to South Africa

C4LED

Enlightened
I agree w/a lot of Paulr's comments in post #20 and would say -

- AA's
- Backups; CMG Task Lights / Ultras or Inova X1's, button cell $1 key chain lights
- A Fenix light - I'd suggest the Civictor. It's more reliable w/the twistie switch and has a longer runtime (4 hrs) than the other Fenix AA's
- Dim lights would work well for many of your concerns; CMG Task Lights.
- Also.... for fun and at a low price, you could get some of the MiniMagLeds; either 2AA and/or 3AA. These have pretty good power and run time for the price. I've used the 3AA in a very dark rural area recently and was suprised by the throw. It also has a long runtime.

Last edited:

d_clark

Newly Enlightened
Guess I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I grew up in Africa, spent 1 year in Malawi, 8 in Zambia, 1 in Kenya, and 1 more in Tanzania. During the time we were in Zambia (85-94) we made yearly trips to South Africa. Granted I havn't been to South Africa in 12 years.

CR123 shouldn't be hard to find, all the tourists to Kruger, Cape Town need them for their cameras, although they are most likely pretty expensive. Just put the extra batteries in with your camera equipment.

I would take batteries for your camera, lights etc. I wouldn't worry much about stuff getting stolen out of your luggage. Probably the same chance of it happening here in the US, then over there. Which airline are you using ?

As for the Night drives, the ones I have been on anyway, they had large spot lights that the guide use's to find animals. Probably not much chance /need to have a powerful light on a night drive (just my opinion).

I would take a couple of small pocketable lights, maybe one bright light just because. And don't forget, in a couple of months South Africa will be in the middle of their summer.

sorry for the long rambling post..

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for your thoughts...

I've been thinking about this on and off for several days. This is my latest thinking. I'm leaving in about 6 weeks, so I still have time to change my mind...

For Me:
  • One premium light from my collection (probably a Surefire). I'll use this one as long as I can get my Lithiums through the airline. What is the point of having a nice light if you can't use it (or at least try)?
  • Streamlight Luxeon 4AA - Backup light if I can't use the "premium" light because of the Lithiums. Light is supposed to have awesome throw for a LED, particularly an AA based one. Great regulation, too. I don't have this light, but at $25, sounds like a great deal. The Mini-mag LED could push this aside as a replacement
  • Small single battery two stage AA for general use. Perhaps Fenix L1T. I was also looking at the Streamlight Tasklites, but I'm not crazy about the parasitic switch I've read about - it also looks underpowered compared to the Mag Led
  • Princeton Tec EOS - I said earlier no headlamps, but I can't argue with the functionality. I need one for camping anyway
  • Possibly a super thrower for occasional use - e.g., PT Surge. For about $30, can't go wrong. Uses the same batts as most of the other lights. This is a complete luxury, I'll admit
For Her:
  • Mini-Mag Led 2 AA - Sounds like a great all around light. Great price, good functionality, etc.
  • Regular Mini-Mag - I've got one laying around...I't will make a good backup. If I motivate myself, maybe I'll get a Led module and night-eyez led switch for longer battery
If she is nice, I'll lend lend her from the above as well.
icon7.gif

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumination said:
...Streamlight TL-3 (which is supposed to be a throw monster) and the Princeton Tec Surge. The Surge is the heaviest of the bunch, but has the advantage of using AAs, which I am sure I can buy in Africa should I need them...
As previously posted, you've already got a U2, that's one of the best and most flexible lights ever made. I have a TL-3, and lux meter reflection tests show my U2 puts out nearly as much. True the TL-3 has more throw, plus the incandescent spectrum helps target identification. But it takes three CR123A batteries. The U2 is powerful and flexible.

I wouldn't consider a PT Surge. I had one, it's powerful but has a short run time and the battery carrier is a pain. Several users have had reliability problems. IMO it's just not worth the weight.

The other suggestion about a 2AA MagLED for your girlfriend is good. It's powerful (vs the incan. version), simple, familiar and uses common batteries.

The SL PP Lux 4AA is great, but I'd slightly favor the 2AA MagLED instead; it's smaller, lighter and still throws pretty well. Or you could take both -- they both use AA batteries. My wife refuses to use anything besides her SL PP Lux 4AA. It's a remarkable light for the price.

I'd take a Photon or clone, and/or an Arc AAA.

If I was going, out of my current lights I'd take:

- U2 (variable output, powerful)
- HDS U60 (variable output, flexible, compact)
- Arc AAA-P (small, good runtime)
- Streamlight Argo HP (lightweight headlamp with good power)
- Optional thrower: Streamlight TL-3

For wife/girlfriend:

- 2AA Magled (familiar, simple, good output, rugged)

europium

Enlightened
Many good recommendations here, but you might want to consider avoiding incans. Once the bulb blows ... "hello darkness my old friend." Unless, of course, it's shock-mounted. You can get a shock-mounted Streamlight TL-3, but it costs.

Also, here is a good-throwing variable-output LED light: [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LED Logic Striker-VG

(available at http://www.ledlogic.com/striker.htm and
there were two up for sale on B/S/T recently). I don't know if you can still get the 2xAA battery extension tube described in the review, but if so, you'd be all set for either 123A or AA use.
[/font]

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I have a U2. That was going to be my "premium" light, though I also considered the more compact L1. The u2 is an awesome all around light.

I guess I won't get the Surge. It sounds like it may be too good to be true...I was thinking I could always use it diving, but the compactness really isn't as important then. The Streamlight TL-3 (with batts and an extra bulb) at $49.99 from Amazon delivered remains tempting.

The Mini-mag Led sounds like a winner, and at ~$30 is a great deal. I do like the regulation of the SL Propoly Luxeon, and it is supposed to have good throw, so I'll probably take one of each.

I thought of getting an Arc or Peak AAA, but at the price they cost, I figure I might get more use out of a two stage AA like the Fenix L1T at about the same price.

By the way, how do the Surge and TL-3 compare in terms of battery life? I see on Flashlight reviews the Surge drops off really fast (50% in less than 45 minutes), but no runtime info on the TL-3. While the U2 has awesome output, I was thinking a thrower might be fun.

I heard so many good things about the EOS. I'll check out the Argo also.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
europium said:
Many good recommendations here, but you might want to consider avoiding incans. Once the bulb blows ... "hello darkness my old friend." Unless, of course, it's shock-mounted. You can get a shock-mounted Streamlight TL-3, but it costs.

Also, here is a good-throwing variable-output LED light: [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LED Logic Striker-VG

(available at http://www.ledlogic.com/striker.htm and
there were two up for sale on B/S/T recently). I don't know if you can still get the 2xAA battery extension tube described in the review, but if so, you'd be all set for either 123A or AA use.
[/font]

The battery life on the Stryker is pretty poor - about as bad as incans, and it's much more expensive. The beauty of the TL-3 is that it's a great bargain ~$50 delivered with batts and an extra bulb in the tailcap. It's not intended to be a primary light - that honor will go to an LED.

Mischief[LTS]

Newly Enlightened
heck, why not just rent a megaray for a few days? isn't their primary location in south africa? :)

:laughing: :laughing:

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumination said:
...I was thinking I could always use it diving,...

Since you are a diver, I want to throw another light in the pool:)

The barbolight U-04:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/132720

Great little light, extremly reliable and a very good thrower. Long runtime and I tested it with one CR123 primary - it works with reduced output -. For using with one 123 it's necessary to build an adaptor.

Best regards

____
Tom

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumination said:
...By the way, how do the Surge and TL-3 compare in terms of battery life? I see on Flashlight reviews the Surge drops off really fast (50% in less than 45 minutes), but no runtime info on the TL-3...
The TL-3's mfg-stated runtime is "1 hr", which is typical for a high-outout 3x CR123A incandescent. From this standpoint the Surge doesn't seem so bad, but the difference is the discharge curve. The alkaline-powered Surge starts dropping immediately, whereas the TL-3 will have a flatter curve.

I have (or have had) the Surge and TL-3, and would recommend the TL-3 first. If you don't have an Arc AAA or equivalent, get a couple of Photon clones and take them. They're nearly as bright, very small and can stay in your pocket, on a neck lanyard, etc.

Before packing or transporting any light, make sure switches are locked out or batteries removed. For the TL-3 unscrew the tail cap until the tail switch won't activate.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote against the Surge...I guess that is out. The TL-3 remains attractive.

The Barbolight also sounds great...the other lights they make also look awesome. A worthy contender for the collection, though I would imagine they are near-custom price...