Lighthound 3AAA 12 LED UV flashlight review

dca2

Enlightened
This light is my first and only uv, so far. Would removing the plastic lense boost its performance? Where can I find a tool to remove the friction ring from the head? Is it called a spanner wrench?

Dave A

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lobo said:
Bodily fluids doesnt seem to show up at all, it just luminates them like a regular light? Should they?
I bought a 7 LED, single AA light. It's probably similar to the one that MacTech didn't buy. I wanted to use it to find the places where kitty was bad. It seems to work well enough for that purpose, but you really need to go searching at night, when all the lights are out.

Now that I've found it, how do I get out the kitty whiz?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
ROTFLMFAO @ "where kitty was bad"!!! :laughing: :crackup: :laughing:

As to how to remove the cat pee, look in any large grocery store for "pet stain & odour remover" first in the pet food aisle, next in the aisle with things like laundry soap and bleach in it, and finally in the general household cleaning products aisle.

ericg533

Newly Enlightened
I got my Lighthound UV light today! I have never had a UV light before but this thing is FUN! I played with it most of the day. Lighthound also put in a free keychain LED light (http://www.lighthound.com/sales/keychain_flashlights.htm) and I thought that it was a very kind thing to do. Its really bright (ID objects at 100') so I went back and bought seven more. Thanks Lighthound!

Does anyone know the exact wavelength output on this thing? I'm guessing 390-400nm.

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ty_Bower said:
I bought a 7 LED, single AA light. It's probably similar to the one that MacTech didn't buy. I wanted to use it to find the places where kitty was bad. It seems to work well enough for that purpose, but you really need to go searching at night, when all the lights are out.

Now that I've found it, how do I get out the kitty whiz?

urinegone is available at your local grocer.. and a $1 version at my dollar store... i love that place.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought one of these based on MacTech's review. Short version: this is a really great light (for UV) and a great value. Found another use: test the UV protection claims of your sunglasses. Some shades do, and some don't - it's very easy to see which with this light. (Caution: test by shining through the lens at a surface that will flouresce, don't test by looking at the light wearing the glasses.) Another great Lighthound product. :goodjob:

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Just to add a few more flourescing item images to this thread, here's some antique Depression Glass and Vaseline Glass items

the glow is caused by the addition of 1-2% of Uranium Dioxide to the molten glass, so yes, these items are radioactive, very faintly, you get more radiation from a computer monitor/TV, granite rocks, or just walking around in the sun outside, i wouldn't use them for food preparation/presentation/storage, just in case the glass leached Uranium Dioxide into the food items, but using them as a display piece is absolutely fine

first up, the cookie jar (pardon the dusty lid)

under normal lighting;
Cookiejar.jpg

Under UV;
Cookiejar2.jpg

Cookiejar3.jpg

And Now, the cakedish....

normal room lighting;
Cakedish.jpg

Cakedish2.jpg

and under UV illumination;
Cakedish3.jpg

Cakedish4.jpg

Cakedish5.jpg

the two Vaseline Glass items together;
Cakecookie.jpg

thorin693

Newly Enlightened
dca2 said:
This light is my first and only uv, so far. Would removing the plastic lense boost its performance? Where can I find a tool to remove the friction ring from the head? Is it called a spanner wrench?

Dave A

just use a small pair of needle nose pliers,
put the tips in the little holes then turn left.:)

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I decided to pull the head apart to remove the plastic window which has been getting increasingly battle-scarred

I can confirm a couple of things now....

First; the LEDs are, as expected simply direct-drive, there are no electronics or circuitry of any kind on the board, it's LED's, a circuit board, and solder

Second; the plastic window *DOES* reduce output by a small, but noticeable amount, the flourescent index cards seen in the original group of pictures are about 5% brighter when the window is removed, my Vaseline Glass collection flouresces *much* brighter when hit with UV from the light now (5-10% brighter)

IMHO the window adds minimal protection for the LED's, 5MM LED's are notoriously rugged, there's no real downside to pulling the window off, it adds no water resistance, there's no o-ring sealing the window, and this light isn't even "splashable"

besides, if something *does* happen to it, no biggie, it's only $7, easily replaced

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
took you advice and removed the lens, also added one of Greenled's glowing o-rings. looks funky!

Weylan

Enlightened
Any one know if this light can show the image in canadian money? Or will show up the RED strip in the $100 bill?

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I just ordered one (lighthound) and they said they should have some in next week.

Last edited:

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Does anyone knows if you could detect blood with a UV light? It would be perfect for hunting when you search for wounded animals.
I think I have herad of it before but I´m not sure.

Crashking

Newly Enlightened
just to add another happy post about this light... tossed one in for fun.... and it works pretty well... also it'll help me in my field of work as an automotive technician... to detect any fluids that have a trace dye in them