Lighthound .99¢ Photon Clone Vs. $15 Photon Freedom Micro

EntropyQ3

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered an other couple of covert Photon Freedoms, plus a Photon REX out of pure curiosity with the beast.
The Photon Freedom ramping/full-on user interface is great, better than any of the normal size lights I own IMO. Since I often use very low levels of light, being able to start out extremely low and ramp to fit is incredibly useful, along with the diminutive size. The freedoms are excellent to attach to the inside zipper of a tent for instance, or a belt loop, keychain, jacket zipper, or it can be velcroed to just about anything.
The longevity and dependability of the Nichia (which isn't over driven, thank god), and the rather good construction are real bonuses.

It's simply an amazingly versatile light.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of Photons around here and I love them. the dimming feature is great and the brightness is more than enough. Sure the clones might be brighter initially but they are severely overdriven with 2 batteries in Direct Drive and dim rapidly(both from LED dying and batteries dying)

(and talk about a necro thread revival)

Last edited:

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Been EDCing Freedoms on a daily basis for the last three or four years, various color and casing styles. I did end up caving for a couple bags of clones to give out to coworkers, for zipper pulls, I don't expect them to function much past finding a few keyholes and basic navigation for a couple hours. The dozen or so coworkers I gave them to reported mixed results, the casings are extremely prone to cracks leading to the thing just coming apart. My Photons, while I admit they're getting quite dated, are all surprisingly untouched by hard use and age after all these years. The interface sells it, led me to getting a ReX and Proton. However, anyone else notice the company has gone a bit dormant since the economy has gotten rough? No LED updates which used to be rather annual, the accessories for the ReX are still nowhere to be seen, the only hints at anything new came from their old message board. Some one suggested a tactical light, and Bryan replied that 'something similar is in the works'.

EntropyQ3

Newly Enlightened
Some one suggested a tactical light, and Bryan replied that 'something similar is in the works'.
Yeah, adding a Klingon stabbing bezel to the covert Photon Freedom would make it the ultimate ninja tool! I can't believe they didn't jump into that market with both feet.

slipe

Newly Enlightened
I've had a Photon LED on my watchband for at least 10 years. My current one is only the second I've used. And I switched only because the Freedom model came out with the brighter LED. The original is still working fine, but dumped in a drawer. The Freedom has been on the watch since it was introduced – whenever that was. It has taken considerable abuse over the years. There is no way a Fauxton would have survived.

It is nice to have light within a second or so or realizing you need it rather than fishing for something. I carry brighter lights like the ReX on my keychain and recently a Maratac clipped in my shirt pocket. But I'll always have a Photon on my watchband.

Nobody ever notices it unless I have occasion to switch it on.

watchx.jpg

slipe

Newly Enlightened
That's a great idea!

How is it attached to your watch band?

I just glued some nylon strap to the sides and it slides onto the band. I started out with elastic but that didn't work out. Velcro glue is strong and works well for the purpose.

It does add a slight difficulty level to changing batteries but that isn't a really big hassle. It isn't so difficult that it inhibits my use of the light. Mark III might use Velcro instead of the nylon if this one ever quits. That would make it easier to change the batteries but add a thicker layer against my wrist. The thin nylon hasn't been a problem at all.

The first Freedoms weren't listed as water resistant – that was an improvement that came maybe a couple years after the original release. I figured I would upgrade when it finally quit, but it never has. Amazing quality considering the abuse it gets.

photonoffwatch.jpg

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never saw the appeal of a photon/fauxton flashlight on my keychain, but on the watch-band is just brilliant!

Maybe I'll break down and buy a photon...

slipe

Newly Enlightened
I sent Photon a photo of mine maybe 5 years ago on an old gold watch so it would show up. I told them they were welcome to the idea and maybe could consider sending me a prototype if they used it. I think the gold watch was a mistake. It looks awful on a gold watch, but hides nicely on a black band and watch. They were probably correct in their assessment of the light on a gold watch that "nobody would be geeky enough to put that on their watch".

Friends I spend a lot of time around aren't aware of it. People I've known for years are surprised when I have occasion to use it.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to EDC and keychain lights, I like to leave a partially depleted cell fauxton of any brand in each and every jacket or coat I own. It's weightless, lasts forever, and when you're at a movie or restaurant, you now have the right light level always at hand, ready to be passed around to your companions.

I'm not one of those guys who wants or needs Super Low on my regular lights. I feel silly whipping out my $100, 5", HA3 Tactical Menu Reader with overhand grip and menu-shredding bezel to read the specials of the day.

Last edited:

slipe

Newly Enlightened
I never saw the appeal of a photon/fauxton flashlight on my keychain, but on the watch-band is just brilliant!

Maybe I'll break down and buy a photon...

If you are going to try this there are a couple of things I'd share.

It works best to grind off the attachment eye on the rear. You don't have anything to hook on things and it doesn't look so much like you have a keychain light attached to your watch band. You can grind off quite a bit without affecting the integrity of the light. You might be able to grind off more – I lost my nerve when I got this far.

You want the band tight so it stays in place.

photonrear.jpg

hatman

Enlightened
What an absolutely fascinating thread.

I keep the Photon actual on my keychain, Lighthound's version in bedroom and kitchen drawers for backups, and use the DX clones for gifts.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
The watchband thing is cool. I have a few fauxtons around that are smaller than photons, by using cr1616 or cr1220 ("pico light") batteries instead of cr2016's. Those might be easier to fit to the watchband. But they're the simple flex-lead type, not microprocessor lights like the freedom.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing these exact versions are not available anymore from Lighthound? The two that I have recieved free with orders have a distinctive blue/ purple center hotspot instead of the white/ warm tint that these originally had.

Lumenz

Enlightened
I feel silly whipping out my $100, 5", HA3 Tactical Menu Reader with overhand grip and menu-shredding bezel to read the specials of the day.

That's hilarious! That is also exactly why I carry a Photon Freedom with me on my keychain. I like how it can be set at nearly zero lumens. However, it is nice to have the very low low on my Ra Clicky just in case I am ambushed by a dark restaurant without my trusty Photon Freedom.