Lights at Target

moonkat

Newly Enlightened
Appreciate the reviews of all the bright compact new led lights and lamps:
Got several target headlamps (3) along with the 1.5w Jupiter flashlights in 2AA and 2C and the little 4AA Jupiter lantern.

The 2AA RR is slightly brighter than the 2C (?!), but may just be effect of led tint variation. Beam is perfect circle of about 3' diam at 8 foot distance and quite bright; distinct even in daylit room. Visible to almost 100 yds but little/no spill. The lanterns are cute and would make good area lighting in a power outage but you'd still want headlamps.

The headlamps are the best of the bunch with terrific light and utility. Wife uses hers for reading and "spelunking in the house" and 8yr old daughter uses it for the spooky places and shadow puppets. There is similar tint variation in the two headlamps tested with one more blue white though both appear equally bright. As above post, good throw and spill and price.

I'm getting more headlamps and returning the 2C RR. 13 yr old son insists on the 2AA RR and I'll compare that with Fenix L1 and L1Ps I ordered with 4sevens GB.

Ikonomi

Enlightened
LowBat said:
At first glace it looks like a large xenon bulb; but according to the package it's a krypton bulb.
Whoops, my mistake. I must have seen "xenon" on the big spotlight under it. :p

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just spotted another new (to me) light at Target. It's an Energizer using 4 AAA's (included) with one Nichia behind a magnifying lens. The barrel of the light telescopes to turn it into a small lantern, much like the Brunton, Eddie Bauer, etc. 3 AAA lanterns of years past. There's a claim of 80 hrs. runtime on the package. It looks to be all plastic with maybe some rubber. Cost is $12.99. Looks like it could be a fairly decent emergency or camping lantern. As a flashlight, I suspect it's more of a no-flood spotlight.

All the RR AAA's were sold out. Yes, I do believe they are catching on with the general public.

Geoff

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I was at my local Target last week and picked up the River Rock .5w headlamp. Other than the tricky latch cover on the battery door, its bumped my PT Aurora as my new backup headlamp for my upcoming backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon. My primary headlamp is the Petzl Tikka XP.

Good bargain for only $14.99.

Great light output from only 2AAA batteries. Following the advice I read here on CPF, I cut a circle of 'WriteRite' (Fellowes) PDA film and placed it over the lens. It helps to add some sidespill to the light and remove the hot center spot. Also keeps the lens from getting scratched while in my backpack.

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/3020/rr headlamp.jpg

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the Writerite, is it brighter then an Aurora? I'm looking for a wide beam headlight similar to Aurora but a bit more punch. Also as you posted, you have Petzl Tikka XP, is it true that with the diffuser in place it's not really much more then bright enough then to read by?

BlackDecker said:
I was at my local Target last week and picked up the River Rock .5w headlamp. Other than the tricky latch cover on the battery door, its bumped my PT Aurora as my new backup headlamp for my upcoming backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon. My primary headlamp is the Petzl Tikka XP.

Good bargain for only $14.99.

Great light output from only 2AAA batteries. Following the advice I read here on CPF, I cut a circle of 'WriteRite' (Fellowes) PDA film and placed it over the lens. It helps to add some sidespill to the light and remove the hot center spot. Also keeps the lens from getting scratched while in my backpack.

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/3020/rr headlamp.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
WAY against my better judgement today I bought a River Rock 2AA. I KNEW I wouldn't like the beam as stock. And BOY was I right!

I tried Writeright, and Scotch Satin Tape. But the problem is the shape of the lense.

As it stands right now, I have two criss-cross layers of Satin tape with more around the head to hold it all together. It looks like H%LL!

I beat it up a little getting the head off. But I can't see what getting it off helps.

I'm going to try wax paper with Sport tape around the head next. Waxpaper is sweet in how smooth it makes the beam. But man is it ever FRAGILE!

More experimentation is needed...

Last edited:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
geepondy said:
With the Writerite, is it brighter then an Aurora? I'm looking for a wide beam headlight similar to Aurora but a bit more punch. Also as you posted, you have Petzl Tikka XP, is it true that with the diffuser in place it's not really much more then bright enough then to read by?

Yes, with Writerite the RR .5watt headlamp on 'high' is brighter than a PT Aurora on 'high'. The PT Aurora does win on the amount of flood it produces, but not by much with the Writerite on the RR. The RR does have a blue tint to the light, but not so much as to be visually distracting to me. I got about 6 hours of usuable light from the RR headlamp on 'high'. Keep in mind the RR only uses 2 AAA batteries instead of 3 like in the PT Aurora.

Regarding the Petzl Tikka XP, with the diffuser in place it is a pretty decent reading light. With it on 'high' and the diffuser in place, the flood light is sufficient to setup camp without a problem. Anything below 'high' is a bit too dim for my liking.

TPA

Enlightened
James S said:
The lantern I'm a bit torn on. It's bright enough I suppose but again they go for some strange things in the battery compartment that would make it virtually impossible to get right in the dark.

A little bit of glow in the dark paint (or tape) now goes a looong way when the power goes out.

capriman86

Newly Enlightened
I was running thru my target today...couldn't stop and really look...did anyone see the shake'um up powered LED light they had?
I thought it was about 30 bux tho!?!?

I have no name on it I'm sorry I will get back there this week!

just curious?

JoeBob

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I saw that one the other day.
$30 is a bit steep, but it will be on clearance for $10 before you know it.

TPA

Enlightened
I didn't see it.... is it another one of those lights that looks rather obscene when you're charging it?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didnt see any led lights for trees at target or lowes. :(