LOD CE head fits new Steamlight Microsteam body (tactical switch)

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure I will try this for my LOD CE as I have a Lumipower Avenger that works well but this is the kind of idea I like to hear about.Brainstorming like this makes CPF such a great place.Kudos to the OP and other contributors in this thread!

tedjanxt

Enlightened
Just thought of something. This may very well void 4-7's warranty...

I don't really care. Until Fenix makes a mini-momentary, I'll keep doing this.

7Freeman

Newly Enlightened
can spmebody post a runtime graph of a lod head on a 2aaa steamlightbody?

cv3po

Banned
Just thought of something. This may very well void 4-7's warranty...I don't really care. Until Fenix makes a mini-momentary, I'll keep doing this.

I believe that the LOD-CE's are rated up to 3.3V input voltage so it SHOULDN'T void the warranty. It's not like you're opening the sealed part of the head or anything. I've been wanting to do this for awhile but have heard bad things about the SL micro stream and stylus pro switches so I've held off for now. If I adjust my LOD just right I can use it as a momentary anyway with little chance of it turning on in-pocket. I still want a tail switch tho............

lumenal

Enlightened
I just recently got my LOD Q4, and already have the MicroStream and StylusPro, so I just re-read this entire thread to brush up on the procedures involved.

Kudos to everyone who posted! Thanks for the info!

And as a side-note, this is one hilairious thread! :crackup: Thanks guys for the belly laughs! :crackup:

cv3po

Banned
Hmmmm, I just rec'd my Microstream intending to make it into a clicky LOD and now I just don't know. The MS that I got is so good that I don't want to muck it up! It is much brighter than I thought it'd be, has a nice tight spot with just enough spill, has excellent tint and the clicky on mine is right where I want it to be! I have loosened the head so that I can swap them at will but for now I think I'll leave them both stock. Looks like I'm going to need another MS just for an LOD host :thinking:. Still, the MS is a great light for under $20..................

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! I can't believe I just saw this tread.:popcorn: I've EDC'd the L0D CE for over a year, yet I like the Streamlight clip, lanyard and one handed operation. I have occasional failure issues with the switch so I ordered the LumaPower Avenger. I just tried the SL/Fenix swap and I'll start running 10440s with one handed operation THANKS for the great info!!!

Last edited:

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought 2 Microstreams today and already have an LOP. One of my Microstreams has a great tint and the other is a little on the cool side. I decided to try and remove the body from this one. I tried boiling it and was unable to get it to break loose. :shakehead I don't have a vise but am going to try and use the strap wrench method. Hopefully I won't scratch the body!!!!!!!

cv3po

Banned
I bought 2 Microstreams today and already have an LOP. One of my Microstreams has a great tint and the other is a little on the cool side. I decided to try and remove the body from this one. I tried boiling it and was unable to get it to break loose. :shakehead I don't have a vise but am going to try and use the strap wrench method. Hopefully I won't scratch the body!!!!!!!

I used two small screw clamps (with rubber padding) and CAREFUL application of heat with small lighter/torch and was able to unscrew it by hand pretty easily.

P.S. I was watching that race back in '94. What a shi**y weekend THAT was :shakehead

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks cv3po I tried the clamps and it worked like a charm with no damage whatsoever to the light.
:thumbsup:

P.S.: Yes, it was a terrible weekend in Imola for motor racing around the world.

lumenal

Enlightened
I have yet to remove the head on either my MicroStream or StylusPro so I can try my LOD Q4 head on one of them.

I wasn't too keen on the boiling method though.

Sure, it'll probably loosen up the LockTite, but will it also heat up and cook other parts of the light? That aren't meant to be cooked?!?

It looks like the screw clamp method is the way to go...

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I must be missing something here:confused: because I unscrewed the end cap from the Microstream, and unscrewed the L0D CE LED from the "battery tube section", then I combined the two parts, fueled this creation with a 10440 cell, and my EDC has zoomed to a new level of excellent performance!:party: I didn't boil anything or even use any tools. What am I missing?:thinking:

whitecloud

Newly Enlightened
I think I must be missing something here:confused: because I unscrewed the end cap from the Microstream, and unscrewed the L0D CE LED from the "battery tube section", then I combined the two parts, fueled this creation with a 10440 cell, and my EDC has zoomed to a new level of excellent performance!:party: I didn't boil anything or even use any tools. What am I missing?:thinking:

The amount of Locktite applied to the light makes the difference. I've been able to unscrew some units with no effort right out of the package, but others required "boiling".

I can't imagine the brief boiling does any harm... even after two minutes (the most I've had to subject the units to) in a ziplock under boil the light doesn't get too hot.

lumenal

Enlightened
Rubber gloves and some elbow grease got my MicroStream's head to come loose... Love the tail-clicky now on the LOD... :thumbsup:

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Could someone with a caliper (or just a ruler) measure the end-to-end length of the stock L0D and the L0D/Streamlight hybrid?

cbubu

Newly Enlightened
With a caliper:
stock L0D CE Q4 : 74 mm (limit on/off)
L0D R80 /Streamlight hybrid : 85 mm

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! Probably makes quite a good pocket light, definitely getting too long for a keychain. :D
Ah, well, yeah maybe. Thing is, it doesn't have a hole or anything for a split ring anyway. I carry mine in my shirt pocket but won't hesitate to throw in my pants pocket.

tedjanxt

Enlightened
I love this thread. I vote this one of the most innovative CPF ideas of 2007. I just built my fifth FenixStream. I keep having to give them away because folks love them so much. So far my wife, my boss, and my cousin visiting from Chicago now carry them, and I believe my living room couch is keeping one safe for me...