Looking for 20 lumens for 10 hours on 1 AA alkaline, suggestions

mbw_151

Enlightened
I'm looking for an inexpensive but reasonable quality light that will use AA alkaline batteries and produce 15-20 lumens for 10-12 hours or a 2 AA light 15-20 lumens for 20-24 hours. I've got a Quark AA that will do this on Medium, an old Fenix L1Tv2 that will do this on low, and a Zebra 501 that will do this on medium. Can anyone recommend a light with this kind of performance that is reliable and more cost effective? Maybe a conversion for AA MiniMags? I've got a few that could be hosts. I'm looking for something that will minimally light a room after the initial thrill of a power outage is gone. I want to be able to burn up cheap alkalines and save my L91s.

tbenedict

Enlightened
Sounds like a good area for a Gerber IU. Not the prettiest tint and not sure what the actual output measure, but it would certainly fill your need and be a good battery vampire. They are very reliable and tailstand with a nice floody beam.

mbw_151

Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try one of the Nite Ize Upgrade 2 modules despite the absense of a third party runtime test. I'm assuming that the runtime on the package is to the ANSI standard of 10% output. Maybe I'll get half that number to 50% which is better than the TerraLux module. Maybe I can set up a crude runtime test. I don't have a data logging light meter.

Most of the lights suggested are too expensive, I already own too many at this price point. The iTP comes close but seems very inefficient on the lower modes per Selfbuilt's review. The Gerber will run a long time but I need more than 5 lumens of angry blue. I'll report back how this works out.

kyenglish

Newly Enlightened
Sorry this isn't exactly what you are looking for but I find it better. A stremlight microlight is an awesome little flashlight and gets close to your specs only requiring 1AAA. It's my EDC so thought I'd suggest it.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had my mini's out in a long time...this got my interest. Noticing that Mag has also updated the mini I didn't see a reason for a drop-in. A lower lumen output is fine for close-up stuffs. Now the aging SF E1L can be modded/updated. :)

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I'm looking for something that will minimally light a room after the initial thrill of a power outage is gone. I want to be able to burn up cheap alkalines and save my L91s.

If DatiLED is still making his "battery drainers" they might suit you. I use one as a nightlight in the hallway - even "dead" batteries provide useful light for days. It is the ONLY light I have that actually impressed my better half (she liked the idea of getting light from something that was supposedly useless).

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?244512-SOLD-5mm-LED-Battery-Drainers

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for 20 lumens for 10 hours on 1 AA alkaline, suggestions

E3S claims 23 lumens for 15 hours on 1xAA :eek:. I just don't understand how they can get that, considering the quark mini for example only runs for 8hrs at just +2 more lumens. Though you probably wouldn't want to subject one that nice to alkalines anyway.