Looking for a good edc over 1000 lumen

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
... Emisar D4 arrives on Monday. Maybe others can jump in with their own favorite pocket throwers, besides the SX600 III HI...
Got my second set of Emisar D4s today. I now have 3.

However, multi-emitter lights like the D4 aren't throwers. They're flooders... great for close to medium range. They put out far more lumens than any comparably sized single-emitter light. The D4 can output 4300 lumens! But that said, this light tends to be in a fairly wide hotspot. It's very bright, but not very focused. At max power with XPL HI, the D4 has respectable throw, but only because of the sheer lumen output coming out of the light. The D4 can light up your entire street, but isn't great for lighting up a single tree 500 feet away.

Lex Icon

Newly Enlightened
Ok, now we're getting somewhere...it seems that you are looking for an EDC light with the brightest possible central hot spot (greatest "throw" or highest intensity rating in Candelas). The lumen count you requested in the OP actually isn't a particularly good predictor of intensity. Don't worry, lots of people get confused by very loud marketing of lumens.

Search this forum for "pocket thrower", or compare models' candela rating. It is actually pretty tricky to build a small light that throws well. An ideal thrower has a large diameter, deep, smooth reflector that won't fit in anyone's pocket. Lately there have been a few lights with optics that try to achieve a similar focused beam without a bulky reflector, but I won't be able to comment with my own direct experience until my Emisar D4 arrives on Monday. Maybe others can jump in with their own favorite pocket throwers, besides the SX600 III HI...
If you are patient, the Emisar D1 pocket thrower, slightly longer than the D4, is scheduled for its debut next month.

terjee

Enlightened
But keep in mind I'm not in the US I'm in the Philippines where I can't get certain lights like Emisar. But I did find Klarus

Most people that have Klarus XT11S of XT11GT seems very happy with them. There's also the XT12GT now, for more throw. I'm happy with an XT11S myself as well, but I'm not sure I'd recommend them above Zebralights. It really depends on what you want. I think most feel Zebras are higher quality lights, and they're smaller (more EDC friendly). If what you really want is a small bright spot giving you good throw, they'd probably be a better choice. They also have single button access at read end for direct to high strobe.

Either of those should get you through a night on a single fresh battery, given that you're using them in the right mode.

But let's flip it and look at what might be wrong about them. The Klarus-XT series are large. I could backpack-EDC them, and holster EDC them, but I'd never pocket-carry them. They're just too large for that to be remotely possible. Their spots are also very focused. That's fine if you're looking at a tree 200 meters away, but it's not comfortable for up close work, and it's not ideal for power outages.

Downside of Zebras is that they're less focused. Good for up close, not so good for that 200 meter away tree. You could maybe do that, but you'd need more total lumens than the more focused XT-series, meaning faster battery drain.

If you have the budget for it, it's tempting to recommend both. Zebras for EDC, XT-series for when you're in the country.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually used the Zebra myself yet, but I'm familiar with its specs, and have one on the way.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
once again I highly recommend the highly touted Zebralight SC600 MkIII XHP35 HI NW. This little monster pumps roughly 1200 lumens out the front on max output. It is full of all the best tech for a flashlight you can think of. It only takes unprotected Sanyo 3500mah 10 amp 18650's though. Do not worry about the cell being unprotected all the necessary protections are already built into the light. It is truly a masterpiece of a very high output very easy to carry high end light. The electronics are also potted which is something you usually only see on custom builds. It is also mostly made of American made parts to boot. Zebralight has a factory in China and now one in Texas. This light...I am trying to remember..I think has something like 17 different output modes or something like that. It is ultra end user friendly. You can set your lows mediums highs and max outputs to almost any output level you want. You can even adjust the thermal regulation circuit...the light is roughly $95. When you go to their site to order one they also sell that Sanyo unprotected 3500mah 10 amp 18650 for a pretty good price. When I ordered my copy and that specific cell for it they sent the light with the cell already inside the light which was very cool. It does not come with a holster it just comes with a very nice flamed titanium pocket clip and a small metal snap ring that you attach to a small hole right under the tail cap so you can attach a lanyard to the light if you want. The beam out of this thing is astonishing. The output at max is ridiculous. The lowest low is something like a tenth of a lumen or something like that. The included manual is just one folded small piece of glossy paper and the print is really small. This light has SO many features I still do not know how to use them all....

+1 on the Zebralight! Love the lights.