Looking for a good LED floodlight

kirby

Newly Enlightened
Which light is it that you have now (or are you considering getting)? I'm not aware of any generic designs, but there are some improvised filter designs available, including an assortment of translucent plastic caps, PDA screen protectors, and textured sticky tape.

Regards,
Eric

Got a Dereelight DBS. An Aurora WF-600 Q5 2-Mode Cree is coming soon.

Just wondering, if I use some sort of improvised diffuser, I would probably require much more luminal output then the above two lights? Maybe one of those with multiple emitters?

Citivolus

Enlightened
OK, yeah, both of those will be a challenge to find diffusers for, due to the large reflector. Your only choice would likely be custom, or to get a different light.

They would also likely be somewhat awkward to carry around inside of a roof. A headlamp plus L2D are what I take up with me every time I go chasing possums and reptiles up in my roof (we actually had a bearded dragon living up there for about 6 months).

I've got some Zebralights due in in a few days, so I'll try to get some roof beamshots when they get here. I'll take up an L2D, P3D, and Jet-I Pro all with diffusers too. It should make for an interesting photo session :whistle:

Regards,
Eric

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm not sure what size is needed or how much this diffuses but there are glass windows(lens) with a diffusing film that might work. I don't remember the link.

Citivolus

Enlightened
OK, I took a few torches up into the roof tonight. Beamshots have been posted:

http://www.southern-lights.com.au/beamshot/ click on target 3.

As you can see from these, the H30-Q5 and H50-Q5 will illuminate up to 10m, however they are much more useful at 6m or less. One thing to note though is that the beamshot is deceptive for a light with no spot, as your pupils will dilate to adjust to the more even overall lighting. This means that what looks dark in the beamshot will in fact be visible.

Fenix torches with a diffuser also won't give much usable light at 10m. They do light a room up well though. A problem with them would be that the glare of the diffuser would trigger your pupils to close up, decreasing their effectiveness in the exact opposite way that the H30 and H50 would work.

If you need your hands free, which I would assume for roof work, you really do need a headlamp. Then it comes down to how much throw and runtime you really want, and how much weight you can tolerate on your head. The Zebralight models really did perform well up there.

Regards,
Eric

kirby

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Eric for the effort.

I like the beam shot of the Jet-II I.B.S. / Diffuser

What sort of diffuser is that? Can it be used with Jet I Pro and Jet III Pro?