Looking for a kick *** but not large or expensive LED flashlight

Rexlion

Enlightened
I think you're looking for a quad die emitter output. The MG PLI at shiningbeam.com has a MC-E emitter that will blow you away. Takes one 18650. It's quite pocketable. I think it's the best bargain out there for a super bright 18650 light. You might also look at the MG RX-1, which has a bigger head for more throw/less flood, but the larger head might feel kind of bulky (and look somewhat interesting :naughty: ) in a front pants pocket. Then again, you might like that... :grin2:

Kuryakin

Enlightened
Yeah, I'm really starting to like what I am seeing in the PLI. 700 lumens with good run time on 18650s, does it come in black? Camo is not my style! LOL

I gather I'll need protected 18650s with this one, right?

I think you're looking for a quad die emitter output. The MG PLI at shiningbeam.com has a MC-E emitter that will blow you away. Takes one 18650. It's quite pocketable. I think it's the best bargain out there for a super bright 18650 light. You might also look at the MG RX-1, which has a bigger head for more throw/less flood, but the larger head might feel kind of bulky (and look somewhat interesting :naughty: ) in a front pants pocket. Then again, you might like that... :grin2:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, the MG PLI looks interesting. Good/bad things about this light?

ive had the mg pli for about 3 weeks,

its a GREAT light.

very small, very tough, very bright.

low is very low, medium is great, high is VERY bright.

i have considered selling all my lights and just buying 10 of these.:candle:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yeah, I'm really starting to like what I am seeing in the PLI. 700 lumens with good run time on 18650s, does it come in black? Camo is not my style! LOL

I gather I'll need protected 18650s with this one, right?

It used to. :-(

I don't know why Bryan did that to them. I would have loved bare aluminum or stainless steel or even "natural".

Kuryakin

Enlightened
I am most strongly leaning towards this one. Can I get a non camo one? Not that I mind all THAT much...

So, who makes the best 18650s and charger for this beast?

ive had the mg pli for about 3 weeks,

its a GREAT light.

very small, very tough, very bright.

low is very low, medium is great, high is VERY bright.

i have considered selling all my lights and just buying 10 of these.:candle:

Kuryakin

Enlightened
Compared to some, I WILL have a new flashlight and batteries in about two weeks after I started looking! I'll be happy with that.

Still looking at my Makita 18v Li-ion drill and flashlight, and trying to figure out how to put a Phlatlight into it... Drivers being the biggest obstacle...

:welcome: That's what it's all about.

Your journey will never end... :paypal: :paypal: :paypal: :broke:

Rexlion

Enlightened
I am most strongly leaning towards this one. Can I get a non camo one? Not that I mind all THAT much...

So, who makes the best 18650s and charger for this beast?
Shiningbeam also sells Trustfire protected 18650s. I bought a Trustfire TR-001 multi-size charger (can see at GoingGear.com or FlashlightsNGear.com) and it seems to do a good job for me, but some people will advocate a more expensive and sophisticated unit like Pila.

As for a non-camo PLI, Shiningbeam may have some in a few weeks... hard to tell exactly when. I think I read one person's comment that when their camo one came it looked better to them in person than it did in the pics. Ehh... when it's dark enough to use, you won't see the color in the dark anyway... go ahead, you'll like it. :poke:

Kuryakin

Enlightened
Got a question and a comment:

1. Is the MG PLI focusable?
2. As a part owner and an operator of a 1942 Sperry 60 inch searchlight, I am HARDLY unenlightened! I think I can say, with a great deal of certainty, that NONE of you have a light this bright! 800,000,000 beam candlepower, 2,100,000 lumen light source. And 'portable'. We've had reports that its beam is visible from over 40 MILES!! So there!! Ha!! <awaiting smartazzed responses>:twothumbs

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to get a MG PLI, don't bother buying protected 18650's. The light's driver has very friendly over-discharge protection built right in. Buy yourself a decent charger (I've had excellent luck so far with my Pila) and either buy some unprotected 18650's online or scavenge them from old laptops.

--flatline

Kuryakin

Enlightened
I ordered the MG PLI, should be here sometime this week. I also ordered the Ultrafire charger, 12v cord, and cells. Can't wait! If the cells stink, well, I'll get the AWs. I really wanted the 12v charging feature.

If you're going to get a MG PLI, don't bother buying protected 18650's. The light's driver has very friendly over-discharge protection built right in. Buy yourself a decent charger (I've had excellent luck so far with my Pila) and either buy some unprotected 18650's online or scavenge them from old laptops.

--flatline

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
2. As a part owner and an operator of a 1942 Sperry 60 inch searchlight, I am HARDLY unenlightened! I think I can say, with a great deal of certainty, that NONE of you have a light this bright! 800,000,000 beam candlepower, 2,100,000 lumen light source. And 'portable'.
:ohgeez:
nothing available anywhere will impress you.even the brightest flashlight anyone here has will seem very dull compared to your current light.:huh:

Kuryakin

Enlightened
True, and although 'portable', it does weigh in at 6000 pounds! We're using an F350 to tow it... <G> I was working on it last winter, with the glass out, and walked in front of it, got sunburned in 30 seconds!

:ohgeez:
nothing available anywhere will impress you.even the brightest flashlight anyone here has will seem very dull compared to your current light.:huh:

Kuryakin

Enlightened
Just got it, the MG PLI does, in fact, kick ***! Thanks guys, always looking to steal someone else's hard work! LOL

And it just feels like a decent piece of engineering. It does get warm, but not unbearably so, but then again, what would one expect?

If you see a bunch of orders around Xmas from Delaware, you can thank me. <G>

I ordered the MG PLI, should be here sometime this week. I also ordered the Ultrafire charger, 12v cord, and cells. Can't wait! If the cells stink, well, I'll get the AWs. I really wanted the 12v charging feature.

recDNA

Flashaholic
True, and although 'portable', it does weigh in at 6000 pounds! We're using an F350 to tow it... <G> I was working on it last winter, with the glass out, and walked in front of it, got sunburned in 30 seconds!

That would make a nice photo! Beamshots please. How does it compare to a Jetbeam? LOL

recDNA

Flashaholic
Shiningbeam also sells Trustfire protected 18650s. I bought a Trustfire TR-001 multi-size charger (can see at GoingGear.com or FlashlightsNGear.com) and it seems to do a good job for me, but some people will advocate a more expensive and sophisticated unit like Pila.

As for a non-camo PLI, Shiningbeam may have some in a few weeks... hard to tell exactly when. I think I read one person's comment that when their camo one came it looked better to them in person than it did in the pics. Ehh... when it's dark enough to use, you won't see the color in the dark anyway... go ahead, you'll like it. :poke:

Ya that camo job is a disaster. I would have bought another black one. If I bought the camo I'd have to paint it or something.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya that camo job is a disaster. I would have bought another black one. If I bought the camo I'd have to paint it or something.

Nobody can see the camo when it's in the holster, and nobody cares what the light looks like once you turn it on, so what does it matter how the outside is painted?

--flatline