Looking for a thrower

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must be. I would call it a thrower just like Nitecore does, especially with the 700m rating. Of course, not a laser beam like M3X-UT or the like.

But at 700m, one is writing about ~0.25 cd. Just saying, a person would be lucky to see anything at 700m.

Well, you guys know what you're posting about so if you and Nitecore say the TM16 is a thrower, then it's a thrower and I need to learn more about the flooder/thrower difference.

In my case, at two hundred feet, I get a top/bottom, side-to-side throw of a hundred or more feet. I consider that to be floody. It's even grander at three hundred feet. The point, the beam continues to widen the further away I look and I'm under the impression that that sort of beam would be considered floody.

At three hundred feet, what sort of light would be considered floody?

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
At three hundred feet, what sort of light would be considered floody?

Light that covers the entire width of your county :)

I guess there's no technical definition. You have lights that throw a laser beam of light 1000m (M3X-UT), then others that light your feet when holding the light straight out (TN36). Most are somewhere in between.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
... then others that light your feet when holding the light straight out (TN36).

Great, I have the Nitecore TM36 as the mega-monster thrower and the TM16 to be more floody than thrower.

Thanks for the educational responses.

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry for any confusion my change caused. To try and prevent any confusion I added Nitecore to the sheet as I see there's little difference in TM and TN moniker.

If the TM36 wasn't so darn expensive, I'd already have the TM36 or the combo lite with the charging pack. There are so many sweet lights out there, it's just not fair. :D

Last edited:

uofaengr

Enlightened
If Vinh is still running his Labor Day sale, you can get a M2Xvn with arguably more candela and better tint plus a fully programmable UI compared to the M3X-UT for less money (or roughly equal cost at worst).

The M2Xvn with XP-G2 PDTc provides roughly 385kcd with max lumens of slightly less than 900 compared to the stock 250kcd of the M3X-UT (but brighter 1200 lumens). I chose to sacrifice maybe a touch of throw for a more neutral tint AND brighter so I chose a XP-L HI 5000K for mine. I expect it to still be above the 250kcd of the M3X-UT.

I was in the same dilemma looking at a dedicated thrower and thought I had my mind made up on the M3X-UT, but I really wanted a single 18650 rather than the length of two 18650 in the M3X-UT or having to use two 18500s but sacrifice runtime. I understand everyone may not want a modded light though sacrificing the manufacturer warranty. Just wanted to offer my 2 cents on my reasoning for choosing my thrower although I have not received nor used it yet. I hope to provide a better review in the next several weeks.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, you need both models, in both,.. stock form from OEM,
and modded forms from Vn.
Then you're golden ☺
Though, if money is a concern, well idk, sell a sibling or something.

Myself, I started off with stock, may stay that way, I can compare expected run times an outputs with OEM numbers anytime down the road if they're in question to me later.
I forget stuff☺

Highbandwidth

Newly Enlightened
I'm about the same place in my obsession/hobby as the OP and have been looking at the Armytek Barracuda for a while. Just on the fence a little as Armytek may be on verge of update as with their new Grizzley (also an impressive thrower and with massive lumens). This Olight thrower mentioned above seems worth a look though. I'm still partial to the Armytek (also thinking of buying a Predator for pocket thrower), but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Latest posts