looking for EDC light.

bullet08

Newly Enlightened
i'm new to flashlights. i don't think i bought a flashlight in last 5-6 yrs, and all of them have been headlamps for the camping and backpacking.

only small flashlight i have is maglite solitaire. it works well, but runs out of battery real quick. i'm looking for something that's reasonably priced, small, and works without failure.

i have been looking at few small flashlights, but don'treally understand what the differences are and why some are better. it seems maratac aaa rev. 3, armyteck partner c1 xm-l, klarus xt1c, and sunwayman v11r are all reasonably priced. but i'm not sure what would be the best.

any suggestions?

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on what you want/need. Throw vs. flood. Output vs. runtime. Tint, number of modes, build quality (robustness), material, etc. Lots of nice AAA, AA, CR123 and 18650 lights out there. Let us know what you're looking for and you'll get everybody's favorite.

bullet08

Newly Enlightened
i'll be using it more as back up light to my headlamps when i'm in the doors. but in city, it's will be used more for finding keys and key holes on the doors when the dark. looking at my trees and plants at night to see if there are any bugs snacking on the leaves.. light won't be used for self defense.

i just placed an order for maratac copper aaa rev. 2.hope that thing works out. sunwayman v11r looks very promising also...but i couldn't bypass the copper.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the FourSevens Quark Mini (and Pro) series. They are available in many different battery types.

ven

Flashaholic
I do like one of your suggestions the v11r due to the infinite ring and flexibility regarding cells from 123/16340 and with ext kit AA/14500 so easy to feed.Also a nice mix of flood throw from 500lm in a little pocket rocket............just a great all round edc imo

extension for AA/14500

Next to d25cvn which is also a great light

and my Tmack lost property camo pic

mtngoat

Newly Enlightened
TerraLUX makes some decent lights for a good price, i have a LightStar TruColor 2AA i use almost daily its larger than what you are looking for but the have the Lightstar 100, it 100 lumens on high and 50 on low and it less than $20.00, also has a decent warrenty. I have had mine for 2 years and recently had to send it to them, no questions asked fixed the issue and sent it back, great customer service.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would whizz down to a trade store and have a nosey to see what they have to offer and of course try a Wally World or similar as they have upped the game up a bit and sell better quality lights than they use to.

No need to pay silly prices if you are just looking to back up a light you have on your bonce.

Led Lenser are always a good bet,plentiful and highly discounted.

karmapro

Newly Enlightened
Is very hard to choose a "perfect" EDC light. The choice is actually based on users's needs. It was very hard to me to make this choice ( having a lot of flashlight ) looking at them, testing them etc.
I finally stopped at Olight S10. The arguments: very small, removable and reversing clip (i often use it on my hat), the tail magnet (the most used function! I love it), very very good shock and pressure resistance.

I have read here that olight have strong tactical flashlights (i see some stunning clips). After i buy my first S10 i want to see how strong is it. In that moment I feel in love of Olight- I personal need indestructible things!
Sorry about the language, i did not think that I will post here.

http://youtu.be/1Y-A9Z7RykY

Every light have some characteristics that are good then others. Is all about your need.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
it works well, but runs out of battery real quick. i'm looking for something that's reasonably priced, small, and works without failure.

I suggested the FourSevens MiniML based on my own experience with a Mini123 (the predecessor to the ML). It is exactly what you seek: affordable (about $30-40), reliable, and small. I've owned mine for 2 years and it has spent every day in my pocket. I've never had any issue with it, and I think it is primarily because it is a twist interface versus a clicky tailcap.

If you're ok with the function/user interface of the Maglite Solitaire, the Mini series will serve you well. They come in a couple different battery types, so you can get the MiniMA if you wish to use AA batteries instead of CR123 with the MiniML.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought you nip down to a trade store. Taking a whizz is completely different. What makes a price silly?

You can whizz as well which means quick.It is taking a whazz and not a whizz,hobby mark ups make a price silly unlike discount retail,is that ok chappy.