looking for some VERY strong epoxy/glue

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Plastic Welding

it might be ABS? when we "glue" plastic here which we do lots of stuff in plastic, we FAR prefer to "Solvent" the plastic itself then "Meld" the parts together as a single piece, as opposed to "weld" if you get the right solvent for a plastic, it softens it into goopey liquid, then once the solvent leaves, you have the plastic itself holding it.
with ABS (i am not sure it is that) we let the solvent SIT on it for a while, and rub a second piece of ABS into the solvent, making a sloppy goop that when dried forms a bond that is the material itself.

same thing with acrylic, they have acrylic solvents, and THICK acrylic solvents, but i am sure that isnt acrylic.

if you have to use a glue that is not Solventing the plastic itself, the LEAST is to sand it harshly with 60-120Grit sandpaper to get Gouges in the plastic for the glue to grip onto, and cleaning the outside of the plastic with alcohol and tri-clor. whatever it takes to get rid of the oily smooth surface, and to a highly porus gripable surface.

crackerkorean

Newly Enlightened

Thats the best source of all the stuff that I would need in one place so far. I just cannot justify spending that much on some cheap lights.

What to do?? I guess I will start with different epoxies.

Tritium

Enlightened

You can do a bit of plastic welding with a SMD hot air repair gun. Just set it for the temp that your particular plastic fuses. I use mine on HDPE all the time.

Thurmond

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
what do you reccomend, its for glueing plastic. A friend of mine gave me some AC-615 class A-2, but i found out from their website it wont work, i also tried some of that 2 part putty epoxy that comes in two film type cans, that did not work..also tried some devcon plastic welder "high strenght" it says working time 4 min handling time 15 min full strength in 24 hours. that did not work.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been my experience that the longer the curing time = the stronger the epoxy. 2 hour epoxy will be stronger than 15 minute, and 24 hour will be stronger than 2 hour. When joining plastic this may be a moot point, as most epoxies are stronger than most plastics.

Are you having a problem with the strength of the epoxy itself, or with adhesion to the material you're trying to join?

:buddies:

legtu

Enlightened
here's a couple of threads that came up with a forum search... :)

(Moderator note: Thanks for the links, I merged them all together & removed the inactive links.)

Last edited by a moderator:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
it the adhesion, what i am trying to do is put some plastic clips on the fuel tank of one of my rc trucks they are for "fuel" and "exhaust pressure", each time and glue/epoxy after 24 hours cure i go to pop in the fuel lines and the clip pops off the tank, 6 in total, the glue remains on the plastic clips once they "detach from the tank, it comes off clean so the adheasion problem is with the tank

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Lacquer thinner works as a great glue on many types of plastics. Try it first and see if it dissolves the plastic. If so, then you can use it as a glue (but only on closely mating surfaces since it won't fill gaps). Put the two pieces to be glued together, apply the lacquer thinner with a small brush. If should flow in by capillary action. Within an hour the joint should be dry.

EDIT:Never mind-I just tried it. Lacquer thinner is useless for polyethylene. It works great for styrene, acrylic, and polycarbonate though.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your r/c tank is probably polyethylene, which is a very inert plastic. The alcohol in your fuel won't eat polyethylene like it will most plastics, and nearly no glue will stick to it. Superglue bottles are made out of polyethylene for a reason. I think it was Bigiron that suggested looking for a water tank patch kit for RV's the last time this subject came up, as most RV water tanks are made of polyethylene too. Good luck, and let us know what winds up working.

:buddies:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh gorilla glue you say.. huh, let me tell you its not good for locks, at the school where i work the kids did a "prank" and squirt gorilla glue into 30 locks on the outside locks. they had to work the summer to pay the damages

Burgess

Flashaholic
just a thought . . . .

Would double-sided tape work ?

Watched a History Channel special on "Glues and Adhesives",
and they mentioned that 3M's product called

VHB double-sided tape

is one of the world's strongest adhesives.

Perhaps somebody here has experience with that product ?

BTW --
Wow, i'm always impressed that CPF has members
who really know their stuff !

:bow: ___ :goodjob:

_

Burgess

Flashaholic
oh, by the way . . . .

This thread should be made a STICKY.

:nana:

_

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Re: Adhesive Question

I've discovered that what's sold as "plastic welder" is actually methylmethacrolate. While it's good at sticking plastics together, it will also stick just about anything to anything. It's surprisingly strong too. It makes ordinary epoxy look like elmers's glue. Just my 2¢

Edit: this is probably some of it. It's available at home depot or just about any drug store..

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
unclefester

That is the exact one i tried first, it did not work, after 24 hours of cure, i went to pop the line into the groove of the clip and the glue let go.

thanks for the replies everyone

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had great luck with JB Weld. For plastic, I would rough up the surface. I know it's probably not supposed to work on some surfaces but I have not found it yet. This stuff is great.

Latest posts