Looks like the Zebralight SC600 MKIII specs are up. (also SC5FD and SC5FC released)

recDNA

Flashaholic
Re: Looks like the Zebralight SC600 MKIII specs are up. (also SC5FD and SC5FC rel...

I've got a safe full of Surefire's and my wife has no clue. She's just happy when the power goes out.
My wife doesn't care how much I spend on flashlights but when it comes to sports cars that's another kettle of fish.

insanefred

Enlightened
Sounds like people who can't afford the light & are using the "GF" as a scapegoat.

Otherwise....Sad!

I need some kind of scape goat, couldn't think of something better at the time. But now that I am thinking of it... I am not getting either the SC5F C/D because I am holding out on getting the H600F MKIII C/D and possibly the SC600 MKIII; how is that for a better excuse?

markr6

Flashaholic
Old info. Man, we really need to combine some ZL threads :whistle:

But of course I'm looking forward to all the new models.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the Zebralight SC600 MKIII specs are up. (also SC5FD and SC5FC rel...

Of course you are. You can't stay away. Zebralight anonymous?

fnsooner

Enlightened
Old info. Man, we really need to combine some ZL threads :whistle:

The SC600w Mk III HI with the Cree XP-L HI is new news to me. Of course, that may be because there are so many Zebralight threads, the information got buried.:grin2: This will probably be my next purchase.:shakehead

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know much technical stuff about lights, but it seems counterintuitive to me to go domeless in a flood light like the SC600w. I'm of the understanding that removing the dome increases throw while reducing the overall lumens (I could be wrong). Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a flood light?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It used to be a flood light, because it housed an XML2 in an OP reflector. Now they're focusing on throw, using an XPL domeless version (smaller led compared to XML2 if i'm not mistaken), with a smooth reflector. I think it's the right move in an effort to differentiate the SC600 series from the SC62 series. Prior to this move, the SC600 was just a fatter SC62 IMO.

markr6

Flashaholic
It used to be a flood light, because it housed an XML2 in an OP reflector. Now they're focusing on throw, using an XPL domeless version (smaller led compared to XML2 if i'm not mistaken), with a smooth reflector. I think it's the right move in an effort to differentiate the SC600 series from the SC62 series. Prior to this move, the SC600 was just a fatter SC62 IMO.

That's a pretty good explanation. But I think they should just keep the SC600 II since it's a flood/throw mix. I actually see it as more of a thrower. With the SC600 III, obviously that is more of a thrower. The reason I think they should keep the 600 around instead of replacing with the SC62/63 is that the heat sinking is much better with the heavier SC600.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I don't know much technical stuff about lights, but it seems counterintuitive to me to go domeless in a flood light like the SC600w. I'm of the understanding that removing the dome increases throw while reducing the overall lumens (I could be wrong). Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a flood light?

Here is my take on it. In my world, there are two categories of flashlights; pocket lights and then everything else. I have experimented with different flashlights and found that the SC600 is the largest flashlight I can carry fairly comfortably. I carried one for over a year. The SC62w has made my old beat up SC600 a glove compartment back up because of its size.

So staying within the category of "pocket carry", It would appear that this the SC600w Mk III HI would be the flashlight that would out throw the rest. So for me, I would like to own the best pocket carry thrower I can get. That is why I would buy the SC600w Mk III HI.

markr6

Flashaholic
Here is my take on it. In my world, there are two categories of flashlights; pocket lights and then everything else. I have experimented with different flashlights and found that the SC600 is the largest flashlight I can carry fairly comfortably. I carried one for over a year. The SC62w has made my old beat up SC600 a glove compartment back up because of its size.

So staying within the category of "pocket carry", It would appear that this the SC600w Mk III HI would be the flashlight that would out throw the rest. So for me, I would like to own the best pocket carry thrower I can get. That is why I would buy the SC600w Mk III HI.

I would agree with that, unless you consider some crazy thrower by Vinh! I'm sure the SC600III will be enough for me though. Actually, I have a hard time thinking it would outdo my Eagletac T25C2, but that is a larger light (but still relatively compact). This one will be worth the Zebralight UI and small size no doubt!

I'm assuming it will have the greenish tint from no dome, though.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I'm assuming it will have the greenish tint from no dome, though.

I haven't read up on the Cree XP-L HI enough to be real confident to talk much about it, but since it isn't a true dedome, I think the tint will stay in tact. I think there is still a thin flat layer of silicone over the LED as opposed to a true dedome where someone just pops off the silicone dome. Plus, it looks like this flashlight is only going to be offered in neutral. If it were offered in only cool white, I would pass.

I am going to try and wait until a review or two comes out on the SC600w Mk III HI. We'll see.

I am a flood lover to a fault, so buying this flashlight might be a gamble.

markr6

Flashaholic
I haven't read up on the Cree XP-L HI enough to be real confident to talk much about it, but since it isn't a true dedome, I think the tint will stay in tact. I think there is still a thin flat layer of silicone over the LED as opposed to a true dedome where someone just pops off the silicone dome. Plus, it looks like this flashlight is only going to be offered in neutral. If it were offered in only cool white, I would pass.

My Eagletac T25C2 is a HI from the factory and is still a bit greenish. Not bad, but very evident when you start comparing with others. But given that, I would still be a buyer.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I just did a search on your light(Eagletac T25C2) markr6, and found your thread on it. Thanks for the beamshots.

markr6

Flashaholic
I just did a search on your light(Eagletac T25C2) markr6, and found your thread on it. Thanks for the beamshots.

No problem. It's a must have light! Put my S200C2 on the shelf for good. Beam looks pure white in photos, but it's more green in person. But not bad at all; just enough to make it worth mentioning.

recDNA

Flashaholic

It will end up for sale on in your car trunk. It really is a little too big for pocket carry. It would be nice in my coat pocket in the winter though.

fnsooner

Enlightened
It will end up for sale on in your car trunk. It really is a little too big for pocket carry. It would be nice in my coat pocket in the winter though.

I agree with you. After thinking about this light, I think I would rather have the XP-L HI in the SC62w.

In a head to head match up, I chose the XM-L SC62 over the XM-L SC600. For the same reasons, I would probably prefer the 62 to have the XP-L emitter.

In anticipation of this new SC600 with the XP-L, I dusted off my old SC600 and carried it around some. I forgot what a great light it is. Too large though for serious EDC whilst the SC62 is available. Either way, this light would be a niche light and would never be a serious contender as my EDC.

I still may get the SC600 Mark III HI, but will wait for the reviews.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC600 III with a XP-L HI seems more appropriate than an SC62/63 with the XP-L HI. If you're going for throw, you may as well start with a light a little more capable of throw. The SC600 is still the smallest light capable of some throw. SC62, not so much.

While the SC600 is too big to fit inside a pant pocket, it's okay to carry on the outside of a pocket, or in a jacket. Still smaller than most 18650 lights.