Looks like the Zebralight SC600 MKIII specs are up. (also SC5FD and SC5FC released)

fnsooner

Enlightened
As you can tell, I am waffling on this light. Part of that is that I have not yet wrapped my head around the XP-L emitter. With a domeless emitter, it seems like most of the lumens would be pushed straight ahead and the use of the reflector would be lessened. I may be completely wrong about this though.

If I recall, when I compared my SC62w to my SC600, the throw distance between the two wasn't significant. At least not enough to make up for the size difference as an EDC.

At this point, I am not sure what the differences of the actual throw distances would be. I would give up a little lux for pocketability.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you can tell, I am waffling on this light. Part of that is that I have not yet wrapped my head around the XP-L emitter. With a domeless emitter, it seems like most of the lumens would be pushed straight ahead and the use of the reflector would be lessened. I may be completely wrong about this though.

Could be. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the LED really performs.

If I recall, when I compared my SC62w to my SC600, the throw distance between the two wasn't significant. At least not enough to make up for the size difference as an EDC.

Selfbuilt tested the lux (at 1 meter) as 7500 for the SC62, and 11000 for the SC600. So, it's a fairly big difference.

If the SC600 markIII can get over 20000 lux in a neutral white, I'll consider it. Otherwise, meh, probably better sticking with a flood.

recDNA

Flashaholic
That is why I suggested an sc62w with narrow optic and XP-L Hi. For warm weather. In the winter I carry a predator in jacket and I doubt sc600 will beat it no matter what

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is why I suggested an sc62w with narrow optic and XP-L Hi. For warm weather. In the winter I carry a predator in jacket and I doubt sc600 will beat it no matter what

I just don't see Zebralight putting the XP-L HI in the SC62, unless they scrap the SC600 line. Otherwise, what's the point of the SC600?

Amelia

Enlightened
It used to be a flood light, because it housed an XML2 in an OP reflector. Now they're focusing on throw, using an XPL domeless version (smaller led compared to XML2 if i'm not mistaken), with a smooth reflector. I think it's the right move in an effort to differentiate the SC600 series from the SC62 series. Prior to this move, the SC600 was just a fatter SC62 IMO.

This.

markr6

Flashaholic
Heat dissipation.

Yes! And I still say the beams are totally different. Did I just get a fluke? The SC600 throws much better than the SC62. But the XPL HI will be a nice change to widen that gap between the two.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heat dissipation.

If you check Selfbuilt's review of the SC62, you'll see that the two lights (62 and 600) are actually not that far apart in thermal performance. The SC600 does have an edge, but it's nothing to write home about.

Making one a flooder and one a thrower sets them apart even more then what they were.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is the idea of better throw in a small head so odd? I know 600 will throw more but over 10k lux from a tiny head would be great imo. I will never pocket carry a real thrower.

I bet it would sell

fnsooner

Enlightened
Selfbuilt tested the lux (at 1 meter) as 7500 for the SC62, and 11000 for the SC600. So, it's a fairly big difference.

Good info. If the XP-L HI were to double the lux in both lights, that would put the SC62 at 15000 and the SC600 at 22000. That would still be a tough decision for me. Mostly because I am not interested in most things SC600, but am interested in all things SC62. I would buy an SC62w HI for sure. I am on the fence on whether I will buy an SC600w MK III HI. Probably will at some point.

That is why I suggested an sc62w with narrow optic and XP-L Hi.

I'm in.

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, you're not quite right. Surface brightness is what helps throw. A smaller viewing angle does not and in a reflector will give it a bigger spot. Without the dome, you get a higher surface brightness. As for how a bigger reflector helps, will leave that to a proper expert to explain.

markr6

Flashaholic
I am on the fence on whether I will buy an SC600w MK III HI. Probably will at some point.

Same here. Knowing me, I'll buy it and resell it right away. Worth the $10 or so loss just to satisfy my curiosity. Zebralight just has me hooked like that for some reason! Actually, I think I will keep it if it's anywhere "close" to my S200C2. Then again, I prefer forward clickies with momentary on throwers. Wait and see...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
having already bought the freaking outstanding XP-l HI module for my T25C2 I just dont see the new ZL, although Im sure it will be impressive, outperforming it thus not on my to but list

fnsooner

Enlightened
No, you're not quite right. Surface brightness is what helps throw. A smaller viewing angle does not and in a reflector will give it a bigger spot. Without the dome, you get a higher surface brightness. As for how a bigger reflector helps, will leave that to a proper expert to explain.

Thanks for the info. I am a flood guy that mostly gave up on throwers. I keep thinking maybe these domeless Crees are my ticket to having a small thrower that I like. Whether I buy this light or not, I am definitely interested in what these new emitters can do in a small light... and a large multi emitter light.

markr6

Flashaholic
Now I'm really excited for this one!

ModelMSRPBatteryLEDTypical CRINorminal CCTBeam TypeModels w/ Similar Beam ProfileModesANSI OTF Max OutputANSI OTF Low OutputBezel DiameterLengthWeightReleasedNotes
(USD)AACR12318650(Kelvin)(Lumens)(hrs)(Lumens)(hrs)(Inch)(Inch)(oz)
SC Series Side Clicky Flashlight
SC600w Mk III HI951Cree XHP35 HI804500spill + spotSC600 I & II15PID
0.016 mo1.23.82.3511/ 2015
SC600w Mk III951Cree XHP35804500spill + spot15PID0.016 mo1.23.82.3510/ 2015
SC600 Mk III951Cree XHP35705700spill + spot15PID0.016 mo1.23.8
10/ 2015

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
when zebralight made the h600 ------>4-click to check battery state

best thing ever

I like it. I need at least SOMETHING on my lights to give me an idea of the battery state. I'm not going to take a DMM with me backpacking! Nitecore had the best IMO, 4 flashes then 1 flash = 4.1v. Simple and accurate in my experience.

Zebralight's is OK. Once I get 2 flashes I know I need to stop burning H1 so much and be a little more conservative if I don't have the ability to recharge. I don't care if it's only somewhat reliable. It's good enough for me.

LessDark

Enlightened
What, a XHP35?? How are they going to make a single 18650 run a 12v LED?? Short runtimes?
I didn't see that one coming....:popcorn:

markr6

Flashaholic
The lowest mode gained some runtime, so hopefully the high didn't change much.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
What, a XHP35?? How are they going to make a single 18650 run a 12v LED?? Short runtimes?
I didn't see that one coming....:popcorn:

Im expecting them to use a similar circuit board as what they have in the SC5fd lights. I believe the Easywhite need 6v and from a 1.2v Eneloop to 6v is a big jump. From ~4v from 18650 to 12v isn't as big a jump, so I would expect similar performance and they have efficient drivers.