Lumapower MVP TurboForce P7 Review - BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES, and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Looks like one of the tighter beam profiles available on a P7 unit. Not bad at all.
Yup, it's a beautiful beam. The quad-die donut effect is still there, but not as bad as I would have expected. And sill can't get over the spillbeam width.

Looking some more at this I think I'd rather have the 3 cree.
Can't for say for certain yet myself, but I probably would too (if not for the lower weight, then the warmer tint for outdoor use).

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P7 has the wider spill. But which one has the brighter spill? For example the P7 may light up a much wider area, but as far as the area the spill lights up, the 3x cree looks like it has a much brighter spill to me. Like a much more even transition from hotspot to sidespill. Is that true? Or is it just the pics?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The P7 has the wider spill. But which one has the brighter spill? For example the P7 may light up a much wider area, but as far as the area the spill lights up, the 3x cree looks like it has a much brighter spill to me. Like a much more even transition from hotspot to sidespill. Is that true? Or is it just the pics?
Yes, the pics are accurate - the 3xCree has a much brighter spill, but the spill area is a lot a less. The P7 is a more typical single-emitter profile of hotspot to spill, albeit with spill over a wider wider area due to the wide reflector.

A good way to think of it is that the lights are putting about the same amount of overall output - the P7 is just distributing it over a wider area, whereas the 3xCree is concentrating it in a narrower one.

Axion

Enlightened
Excellent review as usual. I really like the lux readings at 10m and I hope you make that a regular part of your review.

brianjon

Newly Enlightened
Just received my Lumapower MVP and found out it was defective right out of the box. Maybe a bad on/off switch. Anybody else have problems with this?

redliner

Newly Enlightened
Selfbuilt, great review and much thanks. I like this MVP TurboForce P7 but its big. Do you know of anything that comes close to this in the spill department thats under 8 inches in length and has a head under 2 inches? Thanks.

jaypoppa

Newly Enlightened
I bought the light based on your review and I must concur that you are dead on about the power that it produces, however, after having this light for a short 1 1/2 years, it has finally been put to rest. It is just not a durable as it appears. Granted I've put it through some hell, but it shouldn't fail after the 3rd time Ive dropped it on the street. The battery directly under the light have been replace 3 times and the optical lens have shattered 2 times. I had to order a replacement direct from LUMA which ships from China. (there customer service was pretty good) All in all when this light worked it was the "greatest light ever" but it just can put up with heavy abuse and needs a lot of TLC.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I bought the light based on your review and I must concur that you are dead on about the power that it produces, however, after having this light for a short 1 1/2 years, it has finally been put to rest. It is just not a durable as it appears. Granted I've put it through some hell, but it shouldn't fail after the 3rd time Ive dropped it on the street. The battery directly under the light have been replace 3 times and the optical lens have shattered 2 times. I had to order a replacement direct from LUMA which ships from China. (there customer service was pretty good) All in all when this light worked it was the "greatest light ever" but it just can put up with heavy abuse and needs a lot of TLC.
Great story, thanks for sharing. Oh, and :welcome:

Most of us here don't stay with one light long enough to subject it to that kind of use/abuse. But I suspect most of the competition wouldn't fare much better. In some ways, I think we are victims of the rapid release cycle of lights - innovation trumps long-term reliability. This is where warranty support comes in - glad to hear their CS met your needs.