Lumens Factory E-series bodies

fyrstormer

Banned
^ Try ... edited ...
Don't forget HK is half a day ahead of us ;-)
I know HK is half a day ahead of us, and that's fine, I don't expect immediate replies to emails I send to people anyway. My concern is not the time difference, my concern is my message was rejected and sent back to me by the email provider.

rrego

Enlightened
Hmm...I know Malkoff has 1xAA and 2xAA MDC bodies that are E-series head compatible, but I have no idea how well they sell. There is an active group of folks here on the forums using M31 drop-ins in 2xAA and 1xAA configurations, but it's not clear to me if that translates to enough demand to support developing a new product.

For what it's worth, I just bought a Surefire G3 to use as a 2xAA host. Someone else made the minimum bid and then I placed my bid $1 above theirs and my bid stood until the auction closed 2 days later. For all the talk about G3s here on the forums, I was shocked that there wasn't more interest in actually purchasing a new G3 when it came up for auction.

I guess what I'm saying is to be careful. I'd hate for you to sink time and money into developing AA bodies only to discover that demand is satisfied by the first batch you offer.

BTW, I'm having a blast with the E1 and E2 bodies I got from you last year. Thank you for making these!

--flatline

Dang you flatline....!!!:nana: That was me on the G3!!! I saw it, bid and then continued with my day to day (single dad, full custody, two children, 2 and 6) and completely forgot about it :laughing:.

Congrats on the G3!

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang you flatline....!!!:nana: That was me on the G3!!! I saw it, bid and then continued with my day to day (single dad, full custody, two children, 2 and 6) and completely forgot about it :laughing:.

Congrats on the G3!

Sorry about that!

I hope another G3 pops up soon for you to snag!

(PM sent with something you might be interested in)

--flatline

Last edited:

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Hey Guys:

I done some testings on the E2T-MV, it appears that when operated using a single CR123 (3V) the output is very low.
I didn't bother to measure since it is a Monday for us and I am piled up to my nose in stuff to do, but I would say it is probably like 15 lumens or so.
This is on the "High" mode.

I turned the power supply back up and the output goes steadily back up.
At 3.7V the output is about 30% lower in output than the full output of the head.
So I would say it is still quite usable.

This means that if I make an E1 body with extended threads, it will only work with a 3.7V 16340 and with lower output.
It will still "work" with a CR123, but at significantly lower output (~15 lumens as I mentioned)
Wouldn't this be too limited?

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers.

Mark

Toehead

Newly Enlightened
I'm in too, I currently use the same batteries in my flashlight. I have two 16340s that I rotate in my Elzetta aplha so I don't have any issues with that.

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Noted.

Thanks for the input guys.
I'll look into the idea more and see how it goes.

Cheers.

Mark

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Interesting that the Tactician threads deviate ever so slightly from standard E. Intentional? Accident? Wish we could know the story on that one. I have notice the unpatented flat sides E2e's require the head very tight, and those older heads on other bodies must be very tight. Would it not be just as easy or just as difficult for Tactician users that want to use other E bodies to instead find a correcting mod for the Tactician head to ensure function with any E body? Actually... wouldn't that (discovering the Tactician head mod, publishing it and executing it) make a lot more sense than dispatching Mark to splitting the atom and having a LF E body that is ever so slightly adjusted from standard E only to accomodate a Tactician head? It's the "what could possibly go wrong?" aspect that has not been addressed that has me concerned.

I know E series bodies have or may have deviated slightly from run to run, model to model... wish there was an E lexicon discussing every E (SF and beyond) to extreme detail, every mod, every component, history with pics, hardbound coffee-table format in full color and letter-press, E2e cleverly included in the binding.

Last edited:

night.hoodie

Enlightened
2xAA is a must, 1xAA is just pretty neat, but perhaps should also accomodate 2xCR2, and 2xAA also fit 3xCR123A.

On bezels, whine from email continued here. I want to run FM1794 in E with as little fuss as possible, and found another halogen I would like to run, GH159. On the off chance any more G2ish halogen bipins are revealed, I'll probably want to run them, too. Trouble is, these lamps are too tall.

Though there are some ways to mitigate, to actually fix the issue, the head's bezel could be replaced with a longer bezel (along with some internal clever possibly Delrin ring to keep o-ring and lens tight).

Halogen bezel could be sold separately, not everyone wants to run halogen in E, but I have a feeling there are enough that it would make sense to have an optional deeper bezel available for longer halogen lamps, sans any hint of crenellations, of course (halogen lamps are fragile and expensive, so using them as a core for some kind of medieval mace-type weapon is ill-advised, especially when a mace does a better job and they still make those).

Last edited:

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interestingly enough when I first got my Tactician I used it on the LF body and the high setting worked. I carried it for a few days like that and then went back to the SF 2 cell body. When I tried it back on the LF body I can now only get the low setting......

fyrstormer

Banned
Interesting that the Tactician threads deviate ever so slightly from standard E. Intentional? Accident? Wish we could know the story on that one. I have notice the unpatented flat sides E2e's require the head very tight, and those older heads on other bodies must be very tight. Would it not be just as easy or just as difficult for Tactician users that want to use other E bodies to instead find a correcting mod for the Tactician head to ensure function with any E body? Actually... wouldn't that (discovering the Tactician head mod, publishing it and executing it) make a lot more sense than dispatching Mark to splitting the atom and having a LF E body that is ever so slightly adjusted from standard E only to accomodate a Tactician head? It's the "what could possibly go wrong?" aspect that has not been addressed that has me concerned.

I know E series bodies have or may have deviated slightly from run to run, model to model... wish there was an E lexicon discussing every E (SF and beyond) to extreme detail, every mod, every component, history with pics, hardbound coffee-table format in full color and letter-press, E2e cleverly included in the binding.
It is absolutely intentional. The shoulder that the head bottoms-out against is trimmed back slightly on the Tactician body, so the O-ring actually sits slightly forward of the shoulder unlike on a normal E-series body. That said, Tactician-compatible bodies don't need to be designed exactly that way; it could just as easily have normal E-series threads that are half a millimeter longer than spec.

fyrstormer

Banned
Interestingly enough when I first got my Tactician I used it on the LF body and the high setting worked. I carried it for a few days like that and then went back to the SF 2 cell body. When I tried it back on the LF body I can now only get the low setting......
Try cleaning any lint off the mating surfaces on the front of the body and the back of the head. Even that tiny bit of gunk could prevent the head from bottoming-out as far as it needs to.

This, of course, is why Surefire leaves a gap between the head and the body on their lights, so a bit of dirt won't keep the head from contacting the body properly.

Mark@LF

Enlightened
It is absolutely intentional. The shoulder that the head bottoms-out against is trimmed back slightly on the Tactician body, so the O-ring actually sits slightly forward of the shoulder unlike on a normal E-series body. That said, Tactician-compatible bodies don't need to be designed exactly that way; it could just as easily have normal E-series threads that are half a millimeter longer than spec.

I agree, it is absolutely intentional on Surefire's part.
As I mentioned to get the High/Low to work 100% flawlessly, at least 0.4mm is needed.
So in order to make a good and dependable body for the E2T-MV head a dedicated body with extended threads is needed.

All in all, it is not difficult to make but the market is the concern here.

Someone will need to have the E2T-MV to begin with.
This same someone will be one who don't mind to use 16340 rechargeables.
This person will also want a shorter light and don't mind the 30% drop in output.

So you see, a lot of "ifs" here. LOL.

Cheers.

Mark

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, it is absolutely intentional on Surefire's part.
As I mentioned to get the High/Low to work 100% flawlessly, at least 0.4mm is needed.
So in order to make a good and dependable body for the E2T-MV head a dedicated body with extended threads is needed.

All in all, it is not difficult to make but the market is the concern here.

Someone will need to have the E2T-MV to begin with.
This same someone will be one who don't mind to use 16340 rechargeables.
This person will also want a shorter light and don't mind the 30% drop in output.

So you see, a lot of "ifs" here. LOL.

Cheers.

Mark
Yes, this is definitely a somewhat niche item. What kind of run size are you looking at to make this worth it? Would a pre-order of some kind be an idea?

I have an alternate idea as well. What if you made a Tactician head with the same function(tight is high/loose is low with no PWM on either mode), that works on standard E-bodies, but, offered a nicer emitter selection with higher CRI and neutral white and maybe potted the electronics so it offered the same or better shock resistance to the stock SF head. I think there may be quite a few people interested in that. I for one would take 2 of those(one 1 cell and one 2 cell). Just an idea...

Last edited: