Lumintop Tool AAA (XP-G R5, 1xAAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
Eric:

As always, an illuminating review (excuse the pun) on this neat little light. From someone who's owned a myriad of different AAA EDC's, it nice to see a company actually go for a clicky UI, rather than a twisty. That being said, I'm disappointed that the voltage limit is 1.5V, which would inhibit use of 10440's.

I purchased a an LM21 from Ricky over at LP, and have found it has suited my needs nicely-I'm surprised you havent reviewed one of those yet. Its one of the few AAA lights that is designed to use a 10440...but I digress.

A great review on a AAA EDC that actually has a clicky! I may pick one up just based on the UI alone:twothumbs

coldstar

Newly Enlightened
The tailcap clicky switch seems to make the light more convenient than other same-sized light.:whistle:

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI. The Maratac Cu AAA Rev. 2 uses the same "worm" labelled circuit board, and as expected, the Worm Copper does as well :)

Quality

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if it would be possible to lego with an ITP A3, I really want a clicky for it (and the head of the Tool).

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Does anyone know if it would be possible to lego with an ITP A3, I really want a clicky for it (and the head of the Tool).
Yes, the Tool (and Worm) from lumintop can be legoed with the original ITP A3 and Olight i3. Note that the newer Olght i3s has switched to square-cut threads though, and won't work.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As always great review :thumbsup:.

Seems like a great little light. Was looking for a nice AAA-light with clip and clicky for quite some time and this seems like a good candidate ;).

rayman

tubed

Enlightened
i too like this light - especially the price.
i cannot find anyone who sells it.
Any thoughts?

N_N_R

Enlightened
Any long-term impressions about this light? :) I've been after one for a while, but it's been sold out wherever I asked... I hope they'll have it in stock soon again in my country.

kj2

Flashaholic
Any long-term impressions about this light? :) I've been after one for a while, but it's been sold out wherever I asked... I hope they'll have it in stock soon again in my country.
Have one, and keep it in my back-pack. Nice little handy light. Easy to operate and can be stored everywhere because his size.
Saw it back on eBay not long ago. I'm even following the product :)

OCD

Enlightened

I've had one for a while now. I used to carry a stainless Maratac AAA. Nothing wrong with the Maratac, I just wanted an AAA clicky. So far its been a great light.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Thanks, guys, makes me really eager to get one. I think I've never had an AAA clicky....

WWWW

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys, makes me really eager to get one. I think I've never had an AAA clicky....

First you're everywhere!! Second don't you have a preon?

Also, it just came to my attention that Lumintop upgraded the Tool. Now you get PWM, 3 modes and no real firefly mode. One thing I would like to know in regards to the older version is if the lens were AR coated?

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
DQG now has an AAA clicky. SS and neutral emitter. The Preon is also nice. But you need to lego or buy pieces to get a 1xAAA clicky. The Pelican 1910 has also been upgraded recently.

Edit: The Lumintop Tool AAA is a good clicky and there aren't too many out there

Last edited:

WWWW

Newly Enlightened
DQG now has an AAA clicky. SS and neutral emitter. The Preon is also nice. But you need to lego or buy pieces to get a 1xAAA clicky. The Pelican 1910 has also been upgraded recently.

Edit: The Lumintop Tool AAA is a good clicky and there aren't too many out there

Totally forgot about DOG and the new Pelican. The new 1910 is such a huge improvement IMO, a lower mode is a must for me.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Here (link) is an overview of the updated Tool. Comments by the author are in the initial post and in post #2

Here is an excerpt from post #2:
"It is dark now so I did some lumen measurements (ceiling bounce method). On a Duracell alkaline I get med28lm-low5lm-high96lm"

Those are similar to the specs for the upcoming Fenix LD02 (link , link): 8 lm, 25lm, 100lm

The tailswitch on the Tool looks more comfortable to use since it protrudes more than the tailswitch for the LD02 and since part of the wall around the Tool's tailswitch is recessed, but the LD02 looks like it will sit deeper in the trouser pocket than the Tool because of where the clip is positioned on the body.

Last edited:

ico

Enlightened
Do any of you know where to get the tool in the US? Preferably the original one with only 2 modes