• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

LunaSoup!!!

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forgive my newbie ignorance but where is that?

Aloha,

jag

The McGizmo forum is id 51 in the CPF database. You can see it in the URL to the forum:
Code:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=51
Interesting that Peter is the Area 51 man and Don's forum is #51. Spooky, even. :eek:

jag808808

Enlightened
Ian,

Thanks for clearing that up! BTW, my little girl graduated to a Fenix L2D Q5. She told me to sell the pink one on CPFM! LOL It even has the Nite Ize 1 watt with 5 stage switch.

She likes the Fenix because it makes the dark go away. She is not afraid of the dark now. She loves to turn it on and candle stand in the bathroom with the light off. She has done it many times while I am in the shower. Thank you for helping me build her first "custom light". Many blessings on you and your family from two island flashoholics!

Deep down, as flashlights are concerned, we are the same age...

Aloha

jag

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
As it turns out, this light went 12,500 miles between the first time leaving Don and arriving here.

lunasoup_tropical_800.jpg
WOW, that thing looks absolutely stunning! :thumbsup::thumbsup: One of the most beautifull lights I´ve seen so far.
Did the light get any bonus-miles you could use now? :grin2:

:paypal: :oops: :whistle:

Eric

Last edited:

Rudi

Enlightened
Souptree, a question about orange LEDs:

Have you had an opportunity to notice whether they are just about as good as red for not attracting insects?

GeorgeMaggos

Newly Enlightened
Hey Ian,

congrats on the light :wow: a collaboration light with Don & Peter is a special piece for sure a grail light :bow: without a doubt & it sounds like it will be a user & a keeper for you as well.

:goodjob: to Don & Peter on this project & :kewlpics: thanks for sharing it with us :clap:

~George

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Souptree, a question about orange LEDs:

Have you had an opportunity to notice whether they are just about as good as red for not attracting insects?

Well, to be honest, I really don't hike much when the insects are too overwhelming, and for the most part I tend to avoid the areas where they are most likely to be as I like to hike up and away from the marshy lowlands. The mosquitoes are most active around dusk and dawn.

I actually do not currently own a red light bigger than a fauxton. I sold my red L1 and my red A2 was converted to the orange A2. I can't really give a very good comparison between red and orange on insects, but there is definitely a noticeable difference between orange and white when it comes to moths.

Rudi

Enlightened
Thanks Souptree. Monquitos are a different matter. They are attracted by the CO2, I believe. My question has to do with reading in the sleeping bag when camping. It's impossible with a white light. Meanwhile I came across the pertinent information: insect vision goes from yellow to UV -- they are blind to red AND orange. Orange is much better than red for reading.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, I wanted to check in and report that I did get a chance to take the LunaSoup out into the Los Padres National Forest last weekend on the new moon. The area we were in was basically a desert environment, with sandy white ground and low scrubby brush. We were there doing creek habitat restoration work, so I wasn't hiking around much at night (exhausted!), but I did do some experimenting and concluded the LunaSoup is much better as a hiking light and the orange A2 is better as a night vision/campsite light. The LunaSoup beam at a distance looks much more yellow than it does up close. I guess the red isn't traveling as far. It will be interesting to see if this light actually winds up more a yellow light in actual use in some circumstances, and if so, at what distance it starts changing from a perceived orange to a perceived yellow. Obviously, it's a gradient and where in the gradient the line is drawn is somewhat subjective.

I'll try to put together some more feedback for you over the coming months.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Souptree,
Interesting. If you were underwater, I would understand the loss of red. :D

toddxtyboy

Newly Enlightened
Hi Souptree!

How is the 4-way Holester working out for you? its an ingenious design and am thinking of getting one.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
My question has to do with reading in the sleeping bag when camping. It's impossible with a white light.

Do you mean you find it difficult to read by, or that you get attacked by insects?
Many flashlights are poor for reading, due to uneven beams and bright hot-spots.
The Mule excels for reading, with it's even beam. The Sundrop would be just as good —
much better if what you are reading has any element of color. If using a Lunasol for reading, use just the outer LED ring (i.e. "low").
I have a web page on flashlights for reading. http://web.mac.com/andytiedye/Public/Flashlights_for_Reading.html
I need to update it to add the Lunasols and the Sundrop.

Meanwhile I came across the pertinent information: insect vision goes from yellow to UV -- they are blind to red AND orange. Orange is much better than red for reading.

Maybe I should add some red and orange lights to that page too.

Red is good for preserving night vision, making red light popular with astronomers.

If there are mosquitoes about, they'll find me, light or no light.
Keeping mosquitoes out is one of the roles of a tent.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the surface of this Lunasoop anodized by Peter, or maybe any other anodized Ti's, tougher against surface scratches than a normal Lunasol?

I'd like to know if these anodizing process makes the surface of the Ti's harder against scratches. :)

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Souptree,
Interesting. If you were underwater, I would understand the loss of red. :D

Dunno. But I am looking forward to getting actual hiking time to try to figure it out! :D

Is the surface of this Lunasoop anodized by Peter, or maybe any other anodized Ti's, tougher against surface scratches than a normal Lunasol?

I'd like to know if these anodizing process makes the surface of the Ti's harder against scratches. :)

My understanding is that when scratched, the Ti exposed to air rapidly oxidizes. I do not know if the anodize or the oxidation is more durable, but I suspect that the anodize doesn't provide any additional scratch resistance. If anything it just serves to make the scratches more noticeable. I have a couple of McGizmos that have seen some pretty hard use and I have yet to make a scratch that is much past hairline. A couple minor dings when Ti kissed granite, but no deep scratches.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your opinion, Souptree.
Anyhow, your Lunasoup is beautiful !!! :)