Luxeon Lottery & Tint: Does it Really Matter?

WX1S 5 watt plus Blaster 6 = ?

• a fun pursuit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • irrelevant

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The walls here at the soon to be vacated abode are all more or less white. Dingy old off white in many cases, but generally white.

The trick is, NEVER EVER shine two lights on the same wall at the same time! NEVER!

I just shined an overdriven Krypton bulb (4AA 3 cell Whitestar) on a wall. Then I made the mistake of shining an XM3 next to it. YIKES! The XM3 looks blue, the Incand looks yellow. Sure, we know that is the case anyway. But to SEE it... YUCK!!!

Taken in and of itself, the XM3 is white. 'nuff said.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a little hesitant to post this thread, being a newcomer to the board. I'm glad I did, though. I was a little concerned I might step on some toes, but it looks like that wasn't the case - wheewww!

I came from a knife forum background and we love to take 'em apart, test, and critique them to death as well. Most of the time, it's a search for the ultimate while we're happy with each incremental improvement. It seems like CPF is basically the same.

I jumped ship on my engineering degree when I had almost completed my junior year. Went into computer science and haven't looked back - until now. I wish I could remember the EE classes I took, but 20+ years of non-use has left most of it somewhere other than my brain. Still, I'm really enjoying this board, especially what I'm able to cull out of the technical threads.

Thanks to everyone who posted! It definitely helps to understand CPF better.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of all the flashlights I've owned and own now I've never seen one that I could say I was bothered by the tint - until I got this Longbow Micra - big yukky green spot in the middle of what is otherwise acceptable color light. I thought I heard voices coming from the Longbow - here is what it sounded like they were saying: "Excuse me, Excuse me! Let me out of here - I'm a green pea stuck in front of this awful bright thing and I didn't ask to be here." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will say in defense of Longbow - after taking it apart I am extremely impressed with the precision of workmanship inside and I contacted them - they will send a replacement light capsule. Longbow seems very good to deal with.

cy

Flashaholic
Great responses...

All I gotta say is the more lights you buy. the luckier you get /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slight noticable tint is fine with me, especially if its HID blue or pink. I like the HID-like blue tint, and I also like pink tint in mild amounts.

I can live with purple tints, but don't like them.

I do NOT at all like green tints, even when mild.

As I stated in another thread, rainbow tints tick me off more than anything. I HATE it when the same beam has two or more tints in it, usually located in bands or rings.

taschenlampe

Enlightened
Am I a WWH?

First off all I am a hunter and for use in the forests like blood tracking
a yellowish tint has a way better colour retention than a bluish.

The picture below shows my FT-01 Tbin with a neutral white beam on the
cooler side, and a 3AAA S-02 from an unknown manufacturer with a
yellow/green tint – ugly on the screen but very useful outdoors.

ISO50 - F2,8 - 1/6sec – the little picture left below is the center of
the beam at 1/60sec and colour saturation two times taken to max
to show the tint clearly.

Tom

Thanks to ImageShack

Latest posts