Maelstrom S12 competitive options

recDNA

Flashaholic
Good tip!
I did and it looked almost identical.
I am confused...maybe companies measures this in a different ways.
Compared those two the Inova X03 (supposed to be 83lm) and all three seems identical with the bounce test.

If you have a DSLR camera the last step would be to manually set speed and aperture and take identical pictures of an object in the middle of the room then compare how bright the object looks with each flashlight doing ceiling bounce. Our eyes tend to accommodate to brightness making it very hard for us to accurately gage brightness. What appears a small difference might actually be double the lumens when measured in a sphere.

Last edited:

wrf

Newly Enlightened
Surefire L4 65lm on left - S12 120lm on the right. The S12 beam is more concentrated and I feel like L4 beam have the same brightness.

Nice collection of lights.

This post from Size15's was helpful to me in understanding how the L4 (Luxeon) was labeled as 65 lumens (before being labeled as 100 lumens later).

As for the S12, mine is still backordered, so I can't speak as to how bright it is. 120 lumens is its low mode however, so for me it wasn't really a brightness contest to begin with.

Allex

Newly Enlightened
Thank you! Thats what I though - SF didn't measure the light right.
recDNA: Don't own one, so I am happy with the answer above.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Is there another torch that is more powerful than the s12 and is about the same size so i can fit it in my pocket? Thanks in advance.

One light that comes close is the Fenix TK35, it has about the same brightness as S12 with fresh battery, but it is stabilized and will keep that brightness.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a DSLR camera the last step would be to manually set speed and aperture and take identical pictures of an object in the middle of the room then compare how bright the object looks with each flashlight doing ceiling bounce. Our eyes tend to accommodate to brightness making it very hard for us to accurately gage brightness. What appears a small difference might actually be double the lumens when measured in a sphere.

Not to mention that our eyes do not perceive changes in objective luminous flux linearly. Rather, vision research has shown that in general, it is a log base 3 function, meaning that you need to increase the objective output by about three times to get a perceived doubling in brightness.