mag conversions

greenLED

Flashaholic
Soybomb said:
Any good 1 stop shops to pick up everything (I'm still trying to pickout what everything mentioned even is).

Click on the "CPF Specials" link on my sigline, and from there go to led-replacement.com. They have the lowest prices on several different types of Mag drop-ins.

The Shoppe is a good one-stop source if you're going to build one yourself.

Has anyone mentioned the EverLED? You can use it in lights using anywhere from 1 to 6 cells; very versatile and good reviews.

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried the Terralux or Crafsman bulb for 3 cells (3x1.5v=4.5v) *with* 4 C cells (rechargeable, 3x1.2v= 4.8v) ?? I was wondering if the slight "overdrive" would be ok seeing it's only a slight increase. The C cells I have are 4500 Mah.

Rommul

Enlightened

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened
If I wanted some damn good shelf life and really long runtime, I would invest in a pair of Lithium D cells and run a 2D frame with the 4D Xenon bulb. The whole project should set you back $65-$75 dollars. Only problem is the batteries are not a stocked item at 95% of stores

Rommul

Enlightened
DCFluX said:
If I wanted some damn good shelf life and really long runtime, I would invest in a pair of Lithium D cells and run a 2D frame with the 4D Xenon bulb. The whole project should set you back $65-$75 dollars. Only problem is the batteries are not a stocked item at 95% of stores

Where can you buy lithium D cells safe for long term storage (ie with protection circuits).

Last edited:

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened
HDS Systems has them:

http://www.hdssystems.com/LithiumDSo2Battery.html

Or you can try SAFT direct. These come with an internal 1A protrection fuse from HDS, I believe you can order it from SAFT without the fuse built in, if you are not woried about it exploding and need that extra little "Umphhh".

I use one in my service mag 3D shaved to 1D size runing a 24 LED dual color bulb White and Red. I just replaced my battery last weekend. Got a little over a year of use out of at maybe an average of 5 minutes a day out with no problems of course until it was dead. Then I was only able to light the 6 red of the flashlight, trying to run the 18 white would just turn on the low battery indicator.

Also I lost the light on a mountain by droping it in a snow drift and had to wait 3 weeks for the snow to melt enough before I found it again, light turned on first click.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soybomb said:
My main goal is to make at least 1, if not both, into high run time monsters with a ton of flood that I can throw some lithiums in and leave sitting forever.

I lived in Baja on a beach for a little over a year. probably 95% of the time with no electricity for more than an hour after dark and for over 50% with no electricity at all.

Had they existed something with about the light output of the Nite-Ize mini-mag would have satisfied almost all the needs that a kerosine lantern didn't.

Big bright lights are fun and nice to have but in a real disaster you don't need them.

Had I wanted a lot of light at night I could have added a second battery to my car, isolated it so it would not drain the main battery and plug things into that. It would charge if I drove the car and if not, it's not needed.

Once you've been a few days without lights you find out what people knew for tens of thousands of years. Go to bed when it gets dark and get up when it gets light. (And keep a bottle by the bed to pee in.)
In a cold climate the reason for four poster beds becomes apparent.

Rommul

Enlightened
DCFluX said:
HDS Systems has them:

http://www.hdssystems.com/LithiumDSo2Battery.html

Or you can try SAFT direct. These come with an internal 1A protrection fuse from HDS, I believe you can order it from SAFT without the fuse built in, if you are not woried about it exploding and need that extra little "Umphhh".

I use one in my service mag 3D shaved to 1D size runing a 24 LED dual color bulb White and Red. I just replaced my battery last weekend. Got a little over a year of use out of at maybe an average of 5 minutes a day out with no problems of course until it was dead. Then I was only able to light the 6 red of the flashlight, trying to run the 18 white would just turn on the low battery indicator.

Also I lost the light on a mountain by droping it in a snow drift and had to wait 3 weeks for the snow to melt enough before I found it again, light turned on first click.

Interesting.

Does anyone sell recharble Li-ions with protection circuits (emilions doesn't).

pizzaman

Enlightened
pizzaman posted:
Any source for these 3AA to D battery holders? I've only been able to locate single AA to D holders.

CHC replied:
What about those found on this site: http://led-replacement.com/

Don't know—but hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!11-27-2005 09:43 PM

pizzaman replied:
I was only able to locate dummy batteries at the above site site.

joema posted:
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/ca...oduct=V2-3-To-D

pizzaman replied:
The adapters at this site are 3AA in series to D giving 4.4v. I am seeking 3AA in parallel for a 1.5 volt D battery (or 1.7v using AA lithium batts).

Thanks, TR